Worst Gaming-related Decision you've ever made?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Allow me to provide a dramatic re-enactment of said descision:

"Hey, Twilight Princess! I'm so buying this!"

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Waiting too long to get Prototype. You can watch zombies take over New York City! There's panic in the streets as the military guns down shambling hordes! Why didn't I decide to get this earlier?

Limzz

Apr 16, 2010
Playing WoW. It's a damn fun game but it also eats souls. I'm off the stuff now btw.

awol360

May 11, 2010
Nearly every game that I bought for the PS2, except for MGS 1,2 & 3 and Time Splitters; Future Perfect.
If it were something done IN GAME..... Asking out loud, " Huh, I wonder why they're called fire ants?" while I was playing Fallout 3.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
xvbones said:
I worked at a Gamestop, back in the Xbox v PS2 v Gamecube days.

Our manager one day comes back from one of their monthly meetings and he is just full of news about this game called Black. He's got a video, he wants to show us, he is way way excited about this and just needs us to see this.

What he shows us looks like this fucking amazing game. It's a little rough but that's cool, it's not quite through development yet, but holy shit look at that.

We are watching a short demo of what appears to be a legitimate blockbuster console FPS. Not only does this game look beautiful - and I mean beautiful, the best looking graphics i had seen for the Xbox - and the demo itself is heavily showcasing this incredible idea: ricochet physics in a highly destructible game world.

The demo even slowed down to make sure we'd catch it - this was a major selling point, you open fire and all hell breaks loose. Missed shots would strike cars or bits of scenery which would break apart and set off massive chain reactions - so you could solve problems by either shooting people or just blowing up the entire world around them and let them fall away. So, yeah, a choice of violence or flashier violence, but the violence looked incredibly fun.

It really just looked like a really amazingly fun game to play.

We were told to sell as many pre-orders of Black as we could manage and I threw myself into this. This game looked incredible and I felt my employers were correct - this game is going to sell like schoolyard heroin, you want to get in on the ground floor.

And I even bought a pre-order copy myself.

Then the game came out and it was terrible.

Like really tremendously terrible. It had nothing but the graphics and the explosions in common with the demo I watched. The richochet physics had been completely ditched, any semblance of open-endedness was gone, leaving behind a literal straight line, A to B with invisible walls or impassible foot-high obstacles keeping you firmly bolted on the 'correct' and only path. The smart enemies that ran for cover I saw in the demos were gone, instead they just stood there and shot at me, rarely moving unless to run directly at me.

Even the graphics, while still fantastic, looked stained.

Every single point that had sold the game for me was just flat-out gone, and those were the exact points I'd used to sell that game, pre-order, to fifty-seven people.

Fifty. Seven. People. Purchased that game because of me.

They paid money up front for a game they knew nothing about, save that the guy who was right about 'Oddword: Stranger's Wrath' and 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' was telling them to buy it.

The shame will never go away.
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. If Metacritic is to be believed, most people seemed to like the game [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/black] so I doubt 'too' many of the 57 people want to kill you ;)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
"Hmmm, Eternal Sonata. This looks like it'll be fun!"
Oh, how wrong I was.

DeiNile

May 12, 2010
I should never have bought Devil May Cry 2. Probably the worst sequel in gaming history.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I chose Prototype over InFamous. Yeah... thankfully I rectified that decision and only ended up losing about $20.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
gunny god said:
M.O.H rising sun
You know what's sad when i bought that I was pretty young and spent all my birthday money o n this game, and basically convinced myself it was awesome and forced my younger brother to play it all the time, because to buy a shitty game means you just wasted 60 big ones

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Kharloth said:
Buying the original fallout pack (Fallout, Fallout 2, and Tactics) for 20 bucks....
I could of bought a decent meal for that!
I did the same, sound is bugged, won't play, won't load and takes its' sweet time to be read, right?