Worst Gaming-related Decision you've ever made?

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Supporting Bungie in any way, shape, or form. I hate them so much now. Why did I spend real money on the legendary and first mythic DLC? Why? T.T

nails06

Jan 22, 2010
Conman94 said:
Thinking Section 8 would be worth my time.
Agreed. I got completely suckered. That FMV commercial they had for it made the game look awesome.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Listening to people tell me how great Bowser's Inside Story was and how hilarious the story was. I hated it, but since the only reason I had a DS is because someone tried to sell it to Gamestop without a serial number and they couldn't take it, he sold it to me for $10 and I bought BIS at the same time. I still came out ahead (especially since I bought BIS used and took it back in three days. Don't tell Blitz Games I buy used.)

Mesca

May 6, 2010
I had incredibly poor choice back when I first got my GBSP. Nevermind starting off with something like say.. Ruby/Sapphire, or one of the Megaman Battlenets.. I started off with Medal of Honor: Underground. I loved the ps1 version, it was great, what could be wrong about the GBA version?

SWEET JESUS. There were fucking Tamagotchis with better graphics than this piece of shit. Good luck seeing the blobby pixel Nazis against the blobby pixel walls. Nevermind that with the Sp's D-pad that it was im-fucking-possible to aim, but that the aiming not only lagged, but that you essentially didn't aim, you had set positions on which you turned, like a clock. Even Megaman Chip Challenge was better than that.

Actually.. come to think of it, Megaman Battlechip Challenge. Utter shit also.

Timesplitters 1. Awful.
I disliked the initial learning curve of Knights in the Knightmare and traded it.. for Phantom Hourglass. Mehh.. PH not that bad, but Knights is supposed to be really, really good.

Psp: Rengoku. Atrocious. Dragoneer's Aria. Also atrocious.

Not my choice, but my dad actually got rid of the Sega Genesis for some reason. Primal Rage. Gunstar Heroes. Zombies Ate My Neighbors. GONE.

TheFedExPope

Apr 11, 2010
Buying Farcry 2...:C

That and losing track of my gameboy and old pokemon games. I'd have a nostalgic orgasm with those...

TheodoreLuke

Nov 30, 2009
TheFedExPope said:
Buying Farcry 2...:C

That and losing track of my gameboy and old pokemon games. I'd have a nostalgic orgasm with those...
I kinda liked Far Cry 2, what flaws did you find in it besides the story and the enemy spawns?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Neotericity said:
My worst would probably have to be getting hyped up and buying Perfect Dark Zero, either that or selling my n64, with Goldeneye...
You sold your N64 and Goldeneye? Ouch...

OT: Probably almost buying the Nintendo DSi. I was intrigued before I realized you can't play GBA games on it. Oh and buying Army Man RTS for the Gamecube. I should have realized that playing an RTS game on a console would be more trouble than its worth.

TheFedExPope

Apr 11, 2010
TheodoreLuke said:
I kinda liked Far Cry 2, what flaws did you find in it besides the story and the enemy spawns?
I thought that for one, the pill system was totally just...stupid. If you did a main story mission after getting a new pillbox,it would reset even if you only took one pill. If you did a bunch of side missions, you could have as many pills as you wanted before having to refill - probably in infinite amount. It was extremely annoying. And to get to the safehouse to get more pills was a repetitive mission that happened every time. The side missions were all boring in fact. It just wasn't a fun game, and that was a very bad thing since I was SO hyped to play it because I thought it would be an amazing experience.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
Buying No More Heroes, as much as I tried to like it it was just too boring for me.

DarkHourPrince

May 12, 2010
Spending 50 dollars on a copy of FFVII online because I couldn't find one in stores. Then it arrives and has a bad disk one covered in scratches. Next weekend I happen to stop by my local flea market and find another copy, in perfect condition for 25 bucks.

... I felt.. kinda stupid XD

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
xvbones said:
I worked at a Gamestop, back in the Xbox v PS2 v Gamecube days.

Our manager one day comes back from one of their monthly meetings and he is just full of news about this game called Black. He's got a video, he wants to show us, he is way way excited about this and just needs us to see this.

What he shows us looks like this fucking amazing game. It's a little rough but that's cool, it's not quite through development yet, but holy shit look at that.

We are watching a short demo of what appears to be a legitimate blockbuster console FPS. Not only does this game look beautiful - and I mean beautiful, the best looking graphics i had seen for the Xbox - and the demo itself is heavily showcasing this incredible idea: ricochet physics in a highly destructible game world.

The demo even slowed down to make sure we'd catch it - this was a major selling point, you open fire and all hell breaks loose. Missed shots would strike cars or bits of scenery which would break apart and set off massive chain reactions - so you could solve problems by either shooting people or just blowing up the entire world around them and let them fall away. So, yeah, a choice of violence or flashier violence, but the violence looked incredibly fun.

It really just looked like a really amazingly fun game to play.

We were told to sell as many pre-orders of Black as we could manage and I threw myself into this. This game looked incredible and I felt my employers were correct - this game is going to sell like schoolyard heroin, you want to get in on the ground floor.

And I even bought a pre-order copy myself.

Then the game came out and it was terrible.

Like really tremendously terrible. It had nothing but the graphics and the explosions in common with the demo I watched. The richochet physics had been completely ditched, any semblance of open-endedness was gone, leaving behind a literal straight line, A to B with invisible walls or impassible foot-high obstacles keeping you firmly bolted on the 'correct' and only path. The smart enemies that ran for cover I saw in the demos were gone, instead they just stood there and shot at me, rarely moving unless to run directly at me.

Even the graphics, while still fantastic, looked stained.

Every single point that had sold the game for me was just flat-out gone, and those were the exact points I'd used to sell that game, pre-order, to fifty-seven people.

Fifty. Seven. People. Purchased that game because of me.

They paid money up front for a game they knew nothing about, save that the guy who was right about 'Oddword: Stranger's Wrath' and 'Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem' was telling them to buy it.

The shame will never go away.
I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. If Metacritic is to be believed, most people seemed to like the game [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/black] so I doubt 'too' many of the 57 people want to kill you ;)
I cannot believe any of the reviews on that page. I have to assume all of those people were bribed in one way or another.

I mean seriously, compared to any given FPS on any console or PC at the time, Black was substandard tripe. The storyline was godawful and told in unskippable FMV cutscenes that were both poorly written AND poorly acted, the awesome guns I saw in that demo were all replaced by obnoxious little popguns that were about as fun to play with as a broken squirtgun in a heavy-gauge-Supersoaker fight...

Even ignoring anything else i've said - stupid, suicidal AI, shit guns, shit plot, shit VO, shit linearity and the massive disappointment of how amazing this game pretended it was going to be - ignoring ALL OF THAT, Black was still a sub-par game. At absolute best, it was mediocre, it did nothing new and brought nothing interesting to an overcrowded table. You understand what I mean? It was bland at best, at absolute best.

Good lord, I am reading some of these player reviews and losing all my faith in MetaCritic. Honestly, I would bet money that each of these favorable reviews was paid for.

The actual aftermath, fully half of the copies of Black i sold pre-order came back to the store within a week.

(Listen, this is how you can tell a game at GameStop is terrible - if you see Used copies on the shelves less than a week after the game has been released, it is a pile of turd.)

Black is the reason I warn anyone who will listen never, ever, ever purchase a game that does not exist yet. 'Pre-Order' is a sham. We will ALWAYS have popular new titles in stock. ALWAYS. You will not be left out in the cold because completed games, if they are sold out, are EASY to produce, what with not having expensive internal parts like a console. NEVER PRE-ORDER. IT IS BAD FOR YOU.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
I pre-ordered Turok for the 360. Guess I shouldn't have let my nostalgia sway my decision making process. Can sins ever be forgiven?

Mariakitten

Mar 29, 2010
In the second chapter of the original Neverwinter Knights I proclaimed the wrong brother guilty as the judge...the whole forest burned. anyway if cant already tell I dont make many gaming mistakes if that my biggest.

Oh and on the topic of the judge thing

I know the correct choice is to summon the balrog and then set the castle free of the time lock by proclaiming the balrog guilty.