Worst part of Halloween

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
it sucks this year as it was gonna be awesome, having a night on the town with my girlfriend, a group of work friends and a group of other friends. then, i got food poisoning, and i am not going anywhere >_>

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
The worst part of Halloween, according to my American friends, is when 4 "kids" arrive at your door, wearing no costume at all saying "TRICK or treat", emphasis on the Trick part of things. Teenagers - don't trick or treat. If you're over 14 you should under no circumstances be trick-or-treating, unless you are there to safeguard a younger sibling. By all means, celebrate halloween if you're 10, 20, 30 or even 70 or whatever age you are - just don't go trick or treating.

I'm just lucky we don't have trick-or-treating here in Australia. Australians are starting to celebrate Halloween, due to us kids who were raised on American TV reaching Adulthood. Right now, it's usually confined to halloween parties or horror-themed movie nights. And that's fine. That's fun. I have nothing but good will to those who wish to celebrate all things spooky (even if the bright green grass and sunny blue sky here in Australia fails to evoke the mood of Halloween. It's summer here guys. Halloween just doesn't feel right in summer).

But now the goddamn super markets are trying to push Trick-or-Treating on to us, selling us costumes for kids and cheaper candy. NO. I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS. To hell with Coles and Woolworths trying to foist this American tradition on us!

First of all: Australia has no traditional folklore creatures that would fit the Halloween motif.
Second: Pumpkins aren't iconic or seasonal here. They're damned expensive to buy too. What would we carve? Pavlova's? Coconuts?
Third: It's not autumn here. No red or yellow leaves. No cold nights. In fact, it regularly storms around this time of year. We've had, what, about 5 thunderstorms in the past 2 weeks where I live. And it's been raining a lot too.
Fourth: If Halloween takes hold, the next thing you know the super markets will be trying to convince us to celebrate Thanksgiving. Given our history of what European Australians (90% of us, and half of me) did to the Aboriginals (it was even worse than what you guys did to the Native Americans), such a celebration would be a very cruel joke.
Five: I don't like giving my candy to children.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Tin Man said:
Man do I hate Halloween! Fuckin pagan rituals...
Always thought that Pagan sounded like a type of candy. Pagan Bars from Hershey.
Also you must hate Easter and Christmas.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i hate the little kids.
so this year, imma do JesusWeen. traumatise them with the Old Testament.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I really did NOT like Halloween as a kid. Hated going out in the wet and the cold. (I did it twice, extenuating circumstances both times.) I dislike most candy. Couldn't stand answering the door.

Now I'm older and living in an apartment, so no one comes to my door anyway. So I don't mind the holiday anymore.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
The odd, overwhelming feeling I always get that mixed in with all the kids running around and parents and people giving out candy, there is a sex offender somewhere in the crowd.

I can't shake the feeling despite being a almost grown ass man, it shouldn't even be an issue with all the normal, good-natured folks about.

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
For me, it's the general justification a lot of my friends use to get into the macarbe and start having horror movie marathons and trying to drag me into them and then the same macarbe dress up for halloween. I don't mind the Sonics, Marios, Luigis, superheroes or whatever, but I get sick of vampires, zombies and werewolves.

For me, Halloween can go suck it, I'm waiting for Christmas to put on a Santa outift to wear to the christmas party my boss has.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
NightmareLuna said:
From the words of the great Pinkamina Diane Pie; Too old for free candy? Never!
HEY!

I already ninja'd you, but it was under a spoiler.

TLS14 said:
OT: My whole stance on Halloween...well, I'll let Pinkie Pie explain.

See?

Also, I think that the fandom has decided that Pinkie and Pinkamina are two different people. As in she has Multiple Personality Disorder. Best to just refer to her as Pinkie unless she's gone full-on Cupcakes as seen in Party of One.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Not getting trick or treaters or attracting punks.
Having a shitty costume.
No good candy or stuff that you like.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Either A: I get constantly asked if I'm too old to be doing this if I go out, while simulatneously getting text messages from my friends who are at a crazy party 2 counties over, or

B: I have to get up every five minutes to give some kid a piece of candy. This year, since we got a dog, we have to make sure that she doesn't go messing with little kids or other dogs.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Bullshit drama. Incoming rant: Traditionally my family and my aunts family get together, get drunk and go to haunted houses. So we got back to my house and were getting ready to party when my cousin asked who was the DD for their ride home. My aunt said she was as she was taking a shot (and already drunk) so we told her if she was she would have to stop drinking. She got all pissy and said she was fine when she clearly wasn't. Drama, drama, drama. My dad tried to get her to blow in the breathalyzer we have (my family is a bunch of alcoholics and got it for the lulz) and that made things worse since she knew she was over the limit. My cousin drover her home after that since she was sober by the time the episode ended.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
There's the strong possibility that the girl I've been trying to get a third date with for the past few weeks will most likely forego hanging out with me to get sloppy drunk with her friends instead. Subsequently, she'll be too hung over to meet up tomorrow and then I work for four days after that. Forever alone!

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Not getting to go out because I've got strep throat, and also my friends all have to work so I wouldn't have anyone to go with anyways, good god I hate my life.

Blackmagic1515

Jul 6, 2009
Trick or treaters. Have a party or something to celebrate but don't come begging to my door for free candy and then get pissed when I don't have any.

Funny though, I remember years ago a few boys in my year said they were going to egg my family's car the day before Halloween. They actually did it too. Then wondered why they got in trouble when I told my parents who did it. 11 year old boys are such idiots.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, the sucky part of Halloween is when you're stuck guarding your front lawn against the idiot teenagers trying to either TP your house or smash your pumpkins. Beyond that, there's the fact that there's usually nothing on, on years where it falls on a weekday. All of the horror movies and generally good stuff gets shelved to the weekend before.

Beyond that, what really sucks is the fact that it lasts only one day. I'm a gore fiend and a fair bit of a horror hound, and I could use a terror-centric TV station around here. I tend to compensate for that by going on semi-regular Tales from the Crypt binges.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Redlin5 said:
How could Halloween not be fun? Is this possible?

Well, for me at least, Halloween can royally suck. Mostly because here in Saskatchewan there are high odds of it snowing some years. It's hard to be motivated to get candy when it's -10 out and then you have to fit a winter jacket underneath. Several years I've come home to develop a cold later. Another thing I don't like are jerks who steal your candy. My neighborhood was bad for it when I was a kid and I'd have to explain to my parents that someone stole the pillowcase I was using.

So, have any not so merry stories to share?

[sub]As a whole the holiday is usually more fun than not. Just a few things about it that irk me.[/sub]
I've never liked Saskatchewan. The only redeeming feature of that wasteland is that most of my extended family lives there, and visiting them is loads of fun. Christmas in Saskatchewan is better than christmas in bloody random ass weather pattern Alberta. "+10, -30, -20, 0, -40 LOL U MAD?" >.>

Halloween is almost always really bloody cold here as well. The last 4 halloweens in memory were all -15 - -5, which is a pain in the ass.

Only part of Halloween I liked when I still had a social life, was going to parties. Had several good parties around Halloween time.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
The self-intitled little bastards. You asked for trick OR treat. You were just asking for the rusty nails in the punch bowl!