Worst Racism You've Encountered

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
ShaggyEdiddy214 said:
*sigh*I god that was alot of typing
That's okay I hear ya. Black racism is some atrocious stuff.If there is anything held steadfast in a lot of black families it's borderline zealot religion and racism. I especially love the, 'you don't look, sound, or act black to me, so you can't understand how we feel and need to GTFO' crowd. That's why the crazy pop eye guy on Boondocks is so hilarious and painful at the same time. There is so much petty loathing that extremes aren't hard to find.

CyprisVeil

Jan 20, 2011
Oh so much of it in very subtle ways, or in ways that isn't directly aimed at me but I do have one that scarred me for quite some time as a child.

I was at a (white) friend's birthday party at a local skating rink and she introduced me to her lil friends and this one (white) girl says to me "I don't like black people" as her mode of greeting.

WHAT THE HELL?!

I felt like crap. I can't even describe how horrible little me felt. Her stomach sank, she felt like a freak, an outcast and all because her skin was a lovely light brown shade. The little ignorant racist-in-training came over to me later (attempting a figure skating move on roller skates and ran into a wall while she was at it) and asked me what my name was and stuff as if she was shamed of herself (or forced to talk to me).

I could add a lot more but...yeah I'm in the middle of writing a term paper (oh noes an educated black person?! I kid I kid...not really. A little bit. Maybe.)

And then there is self-racism....yeah I'm going to stop while I'm ahead.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Personally I don't have any but my uncles do. Their cousin (my uncle?, I honestly don't know what title to give) where in their 18-21 years and where drinking with aforementioned relative from the UK who was visiting the family here in SF. They were out drinking in the park and my uncles were not drunk at all as opposed to their cousin who was completely smashed. This is when a cop showed up to investigate what was going on. The cop, who was black, asked my uncles and cousin to get home when the cousin drunkenly says " I ain't listenen to no monkey". My uncles realizing that if they didn't do something they would probably be put in prison and or murdered jut told the cop it's ok officer we got this and began to wail on my cousin. The cop ten just says carry on and leaves. I know it's not that racist but I thought I should share it.

CyprisVeil

Jan 20, 2011
(I failed to quote this properly...)

"Old people are adorable.
Honestly I think racism is trumped up nowadays by modern society, like you a white kid being shocked by the word ******.
Sure it is still present today but its hardly as bad as the past.
I dont even think we should acknowledge "race" as we are all people.

but as I am white who cares what I think."

I care what you think honeybunny! I agree, I love asserting that the only race I am is "human" but people tend to get extremely angry when I say that because they don't understand what I mean. We're all humans who just happen to have some pretty neat physical differences. From pale skin to dark skin and from straight light colored hair to dark brown curly kinky hair it is all beautiful and should all be appreciated.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
I knew someone who said "I'm off to drown slaves" when he went to do number 2's. Not right.

Hucket

Apr 29, 2010
In the original example, you have to remember the era where this couple grew up. That word was thrown around casuality, both as a slur and as a descriptor. I'm not saying they were justified in saying it, but you have to get the context before you jump to shock and judgement.

I look white, but most people can tell I have some Asian in me. I've never really encountered racism against me personally, but my mom (she's Japanese) did. We were staying a hotel in Ann Arbour, MI and my dad and I had gome to get the luggage out of the car while my mom got the room keys. It tooks us five minutes max and when we got back my mom was PISSED off. Appearently some guy walked up to her and started to complain about the state of their room. Apparently they thought my mom (who was wearing NOTHING like the staff) was one of the maids...simply because she was ASIAN...

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I get small amounts here and there. I get called "Cracker" and "Gringo" from time to time just walking around or at a store. It isn't major but I've gotten plenty of mean spirited comments directed my way over the years based on race.

Caeculus

Apr 24, 2011
I used to go to a boarding school, and my Grandad would pick me up on holidays. When driving back through Bradford (an area known for its high multiculturalism), he would often make outrageous comments about coloured folk. One that stands out in particular is, "Christ, you can smell 'em, can't ya?"

vietfighter

Apr 26, 2008
Well, a peer of mine is a spanish exchange student here in the states. She has a relatively thick accent and clearly ethnic name. For whatever reason, everyone thinks she is an impoverished mexican (yeah...I'm not completing the description), and has repeatedly told her to "get the ***k out of our/my country." That's pretty much the worst racism i experienced. I have also heard that some Vietnamese kid was killed at the high school i attend due to racial tensions back in the eighties but I have not experienced it, so it doesn't really count, now does it?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
How do I describe the last 20 years of my life? I can make a shortlist and you can be the judge of what was worse.

I've lost 5 jobs because of my black person status (they usually just n-word me.... a lot, and calling me buckwheat is also popular around here)
I was assaulted in high school (again, lots of n-words... bottles and rocks were thrown, and not shit was done about it by faculty member or local law enforcement)
I've been ejected from church... (not as much n-wording)
I've been ejected from places of business (very little n-wording, but my "kind" was not permitted)
I've been refused service at a restaurant (also a bar, but at least the owner was willing to call me n-words to my face, the restaurant manager was another of those "we don't serve your kind" people)
I won't even go into what my family life has been like, but let's just say one of my parents was not above making remarks about me either
I get harassed often when in public, which is why I'm a shut-in now, have been for most of these last two decades.
I've been n-worded by local police, so if something happens to me I don't exactly feel safe looking to them for help.
Little children have n-worded me.... that one stung a lot more than usual, though you never quite get used to it, even after all these years
I can disguise being half-black, and I generally do that as much as I can, but on occasion questions arise and I answer honestly, even knowing the consequences will usually be pretty goddamn negative. My favorite was a white girl I dated briefly that stated that the only kind of men she wanted to be with were whites only. I knew my future was not with her, but then this is not uncommon where I live, so I just sort of went with it for that final date (yes, it was the final date that she'd said that).
Friends have questioned whether or not I really consider myself a black person, treating it like an unfortunate condition. They aren't friends anymore, not all because of this, but it happens a lot here.
I was refuse employment because I revealed I was black to potential employers, who would upon finding out show me the door saying they were no longer interested in hiring, or "we just don't need your kind of trouble".
Friends have refused to be in public places with me because I am black, so I was sort of a secret for them.

I really could go on and on, but I think this should be enough to choose from. You tell me, which is worse? Which one of these has left me with clinically diagnosed debilitating disorders.

For me this growing collage of personal experiences has sort of melted into two very simple schools of thought; I am ethnically inferior to anyone that is not black and white, and that the state I live in will always be hell.

And before anyone suggests I leave explain how I do that when I can't hold down a job long enough to make money and move....

Apologies for typos, but this thread upsets me, and writing this the first time was hard enough.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
in my opinion, racism is when you put special (not necessarily good) distinctions on races.

like once, i criticized someone for wanting to sag pants like an idiotic douchebag in a videogame.

he then said i was racist for calling african people idiotic douchebags

then i called him racist for associating idiotic, pants sagging douchebags with african people when i never made such a connection

like here's what i think:
the fact that "******" is a racial slur when said by certain races is racist because it gives special privileges to a certain group

same with any other "racial slur" that can be said by one race but not others.

special distinctions are racist.

Mar 28, 2009
The Australians here will understand this.
Went to the Northern Territory. A community with roughly even Aboriginal and White population.
Never seen anything like it, seemed like Civil Rights movement era US.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Well, one guy in my class has on multiple occasions said that all Muslims are ticking time bombs, constantly says "******" or "that's gay" and has also said that all Asian people are retarded. Although those first two weren't racism I still thought they were worth mentioning. Yeah, he's kind of a dick over all too.
Rayne870 said:
i feel very victimized for not being bilingual and being a white male in my country. i am frequently passed up for job opportunities to a less qualified person so the company can fill race quotas, and frequently harassed over not being able to speak both official languages, when the other person could simply speak English when they are bilingual themselves.
I didn't even have to look at your profile to guess you were Canadian... yay me?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I grew up in rural Victoria and though my parents were educated proffessionals, I was still exposed to a large amount of the underlying racism and general discrimination that is endemic. The worst thing is people don't know they're being racist, they actually think it's a fact that Aboriginals are petrol sniffing thieves or that all Asians speak poor English and want to steal their jobs or rampant stereotyping of homosexuals. So often have I heard statements prefixed with "I'm not racist/homophobic, but..."

The worst recent racism I have encountered has been quite a few incidents were people wanted to get into fights with Indian and Sri Lankin friends of mine. One guy told a mate to "get on his camel (wtf?) and leave town before he bashed him". Another guy wanted to bash an asian friend who was actually several generations of Australian citizens, just because he "looked un-Australian". I haven't yet gotten into a scrape fortunately but we've had some close calls. Best thing ever was that theres about a dozen of us at a club when the camel comment was made, the look on the guys face when we turned up, five black guys and six white guys, with a couple of us very big guys. A bouncer who witnessed it the stand-off later told me, that realistically they could have done very little to stop us if it had escalated, if they had even wanted to (the bouncer was Samoan).

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
My school's student body is 47% Mexican and 43% Caucasian. With that in mind, you'd think we'd get less racism towards the majority population. Nope. Whites get some racism too, but I haven't seen as much.

Once, in the hallway, my friend said "Hey, look, it's a trash can!" I looked at the trash can and nodded, somewhat confused. Then he said, "I wasn't talking about the trash can - I was talking about the Mexican." This confused me further, for a few reasons.
1) We were in a hallway full of Mexicans, most of whom were reasonable people trying to go about their daily lives. (There are some gangsters and sluts, but I don't think they represent their race very well.)
2) The comment came completely out of the blue, and made no sense as an insult.

I think he was just trolling me because he knows racism bugs me, honestly. And he failed. I didn't feel anger at that, just "Wtf?"

That isn't the worst racism I've encountered, but it's certainly an example of the kind of racism in my city. And it's kind of amusing.