Worst review I have seen in a long time (borderlands 2)

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Wall Street journal attempts to review BL2 and its just awful. I actually got some perverse entertainment out of reading this horrible review. Enjoy. :)

"Ask me what I think about Borderlands 2 from Gearbox Software, and I?d tell you about its dubious, convoluted plot. I?d talk about a mind-boggling array of guns and loot. At no point, though, would I ever say I was ready to ?joy puke? my face off, as the game box predicts players will do.

The sequel to the highly acclaimed 2009 Borderlands game goes on shelves Tuesday in Xbox 360, PS3 and PC versions for around $60. At that price point, the first-person shooter, published by 2K Games, inevitably invites comparisons with the Halos and Calls of Duty games already out and due to come in the next few weeks and months. Borderlands 2 falls short because it?s missing several key elements you need to have in a 2012 first-person shooter game ? most notably, a rich multiplayer online mode. There?s an extremely limited four-player cooperative mode, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold account, you can team up that way, but this isn?t the type of deeply engrossing FPS game the headset-wearing COD crowds gather to play months and months after release. In comparison, I read on several sites that COD: Black Ops 2 will feature up to six teams, for a total of 18 simultaneous players, in multiplayer mode.

It?s apparent that Borderlands 2 is going after that testosterone-filled, 18-35-or-so demographic, with its over-the-top marketing verbiage (eg. ?a bazillion weapons just got bazilliondier?), gratuitous cussing in the game and prominent placement of a pre-order advertisement on the ESPN.com homepage. I played the Xbox version of Borderlands 2 for close to a week, and while the development and upgrades from the original are apparent, the quirk and novelty that made the 2009 game so endearing and popular (according to VGChartz.com), combined unit sales of the original topped 4.5 million for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC) feel dated and tired in this game.

Borderlands 2 doesn?t just bill itself as an FPS. It?s a space Western FPS or a role-playing shooter, with the ability to build and customize characters. The game?s premise is that you?re a loot hunter fighting to free the planet Pandora from the evil CEO of Hyperion Corp, Handsome Jack. The evil CEO wants to wipe out the planet?s ragtag population and turn Pandora into an industrial playground for his company. His presence is felt throughout the game by the hovering H-shaped space station that serves as his and Hyperion?s headquarters. In actual gameplay, you?re expected to fight your way across Pandora, hoping to stop Handsome Jack from awakening ?the Warrior,? an alien even more evil than he is. The events in Borderlands 2 take place several years after the original game and are a continuation of those events, albeit with four new playable characters.

I had to go back to Wikipedia descriptions of the original game to remember all the intricate twists and turns of the Borderlands backstory, which involved a couple of mega-corporations, called Dahl Corp. and Atlas Corp. Atlas set up shop on Pandora one fine winter, hoping to find a vault filled with high-tech alien weapons after finding a similar one on a neighboring planet. Alas, Atlas didn?t realize what a hellhole Pandora was in summer, when horrifying alien monsters come out of hibernation, and abandoned the planet. Enter Dahl, which basically pillaged Pandora for the sake of mining its resources, using convict labor that it shipped in. Complicating the already complicated plot, a xeno-archaeologist working on Pandora while Dahl was in charge, actually did find the mysterious vault. When Atlas heard that, it sent in a private army to claim the vault. Dahl, doing what all brave corporations do when faced with imminent invasion, skedaddled, leaving behind the poor, huddled masses and convict labor on the monster-filled planet. The vault is uncovered at the end of the original Borderlands, but is resealed for another 200 years.

In this new game, in your battle against Handsome Jack and his minions and the Pandora monster aliens, you have your choice of playing as one of four protagonists ? Axton the Commando, Salvador the so-called ?Gunzerker,? Zero the Assassin, or Maya the Siren ? each fully customizable in appearance and each displaying unique traits. The game?s opening sequence reminds you that Borderlands? developers chose to go the animation route, and I don?t like it very much. The game isn?t manga-like enough to be super-hip, so instead, it just feels cartoonish. Menacing characters like Handsome Jack, who tries to you off in the opening sequence via a double-crossing explosion, are not at all fearsome. Your four heroes from the first game all appear as non-playable characters in this game. They are pretty cool in conception and rendering.

Also back is Claptrap, a droid that?s somewhat of a cross between a snarky, profane C3PO with the body of an R2D2. Claptrap acts as your guide, and is a fairly detestable character, who left me cold. When his camera eye got plucked out by an alien on the first mission, I didn?t care. Still, I had no choice but to go out and put my Zero character at risk to restore the loathsome droid?s sight.

Borderlands 2?s single-player campaign mode isn?t as good as what you?ll find in games like COD: Black Ops or the Medal of Honor series. There?s too much ?feast-or-famine? hunting for tasks, supplies and a good battle for this to be a fun game all the way through.

I played with my 14-year-old son, and we found ourselves spending a lot of time mindlessly opening supply boxes and mailboxes to find bullets, health boosts and other goodies we didn?t really want or need yet. You also wander a lot in winter wastelands that are hard to find your way around, due to the cartoonish blockiness. The game?s mapping was detailed, though, and at first, it was fun to explore a bit. It became a nuisance later. I was reminded a couple of times of the desolate feeling you have on the road while playing Skyrim and struck by how long it took to get from one action point to another. Luckily, the developers built quick-travel machines into the game, allowing you short-circuit some of that boring travel time.

Controls are very similar to COD, which makes the game very familiar and easy to play right out of the box. Combat is definitely the best part of Borderlands 2, and when I found a good fight, I really got immersed. There were, however, too many interludes between pitched battles. The artificial intelligence of the aliens and other enemies in this game is excellent, and I found it hard to outsmart and outmaneuver them. I tried to outfox stone-throwing monsters by racing from one side of a sheltering shack to another, but they blew my strategy by simply coming at me from all sides, and in numbers. The best way to fight, I found, was to wade right in, blasting away with whatever weapons I had at hand.

The types of guns and sheer number of available weapons in Borderlands 2 is overwhelming. There are pistols, shotguns and automatic guns and lots of variations and accoutrements you can add to make them better or more deadly. Incendiary guns are a good way to stop other humanoid enemies, I found. In the early stages of the game, I was able to switch between two different weapons, and had to go into my backpack if I wanted to switch them out. Keeping an inventory of your weapons is a bit complicated as the game goes on, and I found myself holding onto too many guns that were too similar to each other to be of much use. Likewise, you can acquire or purchase better shielding for yourself.

There?s a ?fight-for-your-life? mode that lets you get a ?second wind? if you kill an alien before your life meter runs out. The game slows down and goes black-and-white during this mode, and aiming is slower and harder, so you?ll have to be deft to recover.

As a $30 impulse buy, priced about the same as games like ?NASCAR Unleashed,? I wouldn?t have a problem recommending Borderlands 2 as a fun diversion. At twice that price, though, I think it?s fair for players to demand the whole magilla ? cutting-edge development, engrossing campaign gameplay, scads of downloadable content, a rich social media/community experience, sharing of loot and gear and online multiplayer modes that keep you and your friends coming back until the next version of the game comes out.

And Borderlands 2 misses on enough counts so that I not only didn?t joy puke, I didn?t even get a tiny bit of mirthful bile in my throat. It may be the game for you, but if you?re in the market for a new FPS, I?d at least counsel waiting to compare it to Black Ops 2, due out in mid-November, or Halo 4, which is slated for a December release"

Special thanks to Jim Sterling for making me aware of this review. If you don't follow him on twitter its pure gold. https://twitter.com/JimSterling

Source:http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/09/18/game-theory-borderlands-2-fails-to-generate-joy-puke/

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah I read that I laughed. Honestly the guy is perfectly entitled to his opinion and I respect him if he doesn't like the game. I just hope the gamer community doesn't show its usual immaturity and attack the guy personally for it. But that's wishful thinking since at best the gamer community is a bunch of immature prats.

Jjtricky

Apr 9, 2009
OP: Are you part of the Gearbox forums? That is how I discovered this review. EDIT: Glossed over the penultimate line, sorry!

OT: Check the comments: Went through the first 100 and everyone is SLAUGHTERING him! Rightfully so as well, as his opinion is BL2 is not part of a COD franchise or a COD clone, so therefore inferior.

Idiot.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
What its not COD? good thing I read this review thingy and saved me some cash now I wont have to buy this baby kiddy cartoon CoD fail wannabe piece of junk.

Yeah seriously pretty crap review for one thats actually had some time put into its writing also he played it with his 14 year old son isnt the game an 18?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
And this is what happen when you get someone who knows ball all about the subject to write a review

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is hilarious. Thanks for the link there. I have no problem with people voicing their opinions, but at least get the facts straight Mr. WSJ.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
the first-person shooter, published by 2K Games, inevitably invites comparisons with the Halos and Calls of Duty games already out and due to come in the next few weeks and months.

Eh, I'm not going to rip the guy to shreds or anything. He can have his opinion like anybody else. But this is a poor review. He's supposed to be explaining the nature of the game, and the sort of people it would appeal to. Me, as a reader who is a certain type of gamer, might want to know if the game is for them, not hear an opinionated statement like "I'd prefer CoD personally"; you can add that sort of thing in too (it helps us readers to know the sort of gamer the reviewer is), but you've got to have at least a bit of objectivity in there. The most obvious question one could ask themselves is: would this appeal to somebody who liked the original? Surely, if one played the first Borderlands and enjoyed it, one would not be put off by differences compared to CoD. One is probably not going to be put off by the art style. Does this live up to the potential left by the first? What has been added to the formula? Do the additions work? Furthermore, it could perhaps be useful to describe what the game is to somebody who didn't play the original (guessing the reviewer is in this catagory). It doesn't take that many words: it is Diablo as an FPS. Surely a more appropriate start point to the review would be to look back at the release of Diablo 3 and to the upcoming Torchlight 2. They are more towards the same genre (and would appeal to a similar set of fans) than CoD.

Captcha: just dance. Hey! Look at me! I'm dancing, I'm dancing!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Borderlands 2 falls short because it?s missing several key elements you need to have in a 2012 first-person shooter game ? most notably, a rich multiplayer online mode.
I got to there and couldn't even take him remotely seriously anymore. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and seems to be criticising the game simply for not being COD.

EDIT:

Jim Sterling said:
Ironically, the WSJ review is getting a taste of the "Rich Social Media Experience" that the writer was demanding.
Oh Jim, you never cease to put a smile on my face :D

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Heh, as soon as I saw the thread title I knew what review it was referring too. It read as if he had no clue about gaming at all and just wrote what an outsider pretending to be in the loop thought gamers would think. Basically, he faked it and anybody and everybody who actually games can take one look at it and realize he hasn't got a clue.

EDIT: A little Devil's advocacy here. Maybe his cluelessness is the point. Maybe he's supposed to be reviewing from the point of view of a casual gamer who only buys Madden and CoD every year and this is the type of information they would need. A casual, multi-player only type of player would be disappointed with B2.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Oh, man. Fail review is fail. It's not for lack of trying, but it trys in all the wrong ways.

Oh, also: who is going to read the Wall Street Journal for reviews of entertainment products anyways!?!?

CityofTreez

Sep 2, 2011
"Borderlands 2?s single-player campaign mode isn?t as good as what you?ll find in games like COD: Black Ops"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Ohhhhhh, man. That's good stuff! *ahem*

OT: The amount of shit that's going to be flowing his way is going to be crazy.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Umm... The guy's writing for Wall Street Journal, ergo he's not exactly working with an educated audience here in terms of gaming where they only know of 3 franchises - CoD, Halo, and WoW.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hazy992 said:
GAunderrated said:
Borderlands 2 falls short because it?s missing several key elements you need to have in a 2012 first-person shooter game ? most notably, a rich multiplayer online mode.
I got to there and couldn't even take him remotely seriously anymore. He doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and seems to be criticising the game simply for not being COD.
My thoughts exactly... I just... I don't even...

I think I need to take a break from the net for minute.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
"Menacing characters like Handsome Jack, who tries to you off in the opening sequence via a double-crossing explosion, are not at all fearsome.
And here is a mistake for you all to laugh at.

Honestly, comparing Borderlands to COD is like comparing Dark Souls with Super Mario. You couldn't have missed the point more.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Volan said:
"Menacing characters like Handsome Jack, who tries to you off in the opening sequence via a double-crossing explosion, are not at all fearsome.
And here is a mistake for you all to laugh at.

Honestly, comparing Borderlands to COD is like comparing Dark Souls with Super Mario. You couldn't have missed the point more.
Exactly. I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion, but he could at least try and use some form of logic that would explain his point. It's just all bad

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Lacks a multiplayer online mode, 'scads of downloadable content' and a 'social media/community experience' eh? Well this just makes the game sound all the more appealing to me...

And then he effectively said it doesn't offer the kind of value for money as "NASCAR Unleashed"? Wait, let me just quote the scathing Official Xbox Magazinehttp://www.oxmonline.com/nascar-unleashed-review review of that game:
NASCAR fan or no, you'll want to steer clear of Unleashed.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[quote/]Borderlands 2 falls short because it's missing several key elements you need to have in a 2012 first-person shooter game - most notably, a rich multiplayer online mode[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH HA HA HA HA HA HA ha ha ha ha ha hahahaha[small/]hahahahaah[/small] *gasp*

no

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Borderlands 2 falls short because it's missing several key elements you need to have in a 2012 first-person shooter game - most notably, a rich multiplayer online mode. There's an extremely limited four-player cooperative mode, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold account, you can team up that way, but this isn't the type of deeply engrossing FPS game the headset-wearing COD crowds gather to play months and months after release. In comparison, I read on several sites that COD: Black Ops 2 will feature up to six teams, for a total of 18 simultaneous players, in multiplayer mode.

HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHA!!!!!

HAHAHAHAA!!!!!

FUCKCHUCKLES THAT IS THE MOST RETARDED BULLSHIT I'VE HEARD IN AGES.

Judging Borderlands by Call of Duty standards is utterly stupid, because that's exactly what it's NOT trying to be.

Borderlands 2's single-player campaign mode isn't as good as what you'll find in games like COD: Black Ops or the Medal of Honor series. There's too much "feast-or-famine" hunting for tasks, supplies and a good battle for this to be a fun game all the way through.
Yeah, because linear, heavily scripted shooting galleries are where it's at. BAWWWWW I don't like freedom in my games!!!