Worst sound to hear in a game?

Mean Mother Rucker

Oct 27, 2008
Mine isn't something that grinds my gears, but hearing the snapping of bones in Fallout 3 when you fall a bit too far makes me grimace in disgust and I make a mental note to avoid doing it as much as possible.

PedroSteckecilo said:
Either the "tink tink" of a grenade landing nearby or the ominous "click" or "beep beep beep" of a landmine or proximity explosive.
Po' lil Tink Tink...

ShotgunShaman

Apr 1, 2009
In the Halo trilogy, the "beepbeepbeepbeep" of depleted shields. Bioshock was great at scaring me with sound before image, such as the clunking of a Big Daddy, the creepy whispers of a little sister, or the demented musings of a splicer (especially the ones who sing "Jesus loves me"). The MGS noise when you've been spotted always makes me jump. And Mercs 2 has the worst AI dialogue.

And on a side note, I'm pretty sure the fast zombie noise from half-life is the same stock audio as a Tie-fighter.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
marfoir(IRL) said:
For a sound that ticks me off however it would have to be the noises that the "zombies" in stalker made. They didn't sound like zombies they sounded like someone doing a retard impression.
They were supposed to. They aren't the undead, they're people brain damaged by the brain scorcher.

Bourne said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Bourne said:
"Hero, your health is low. Watch that."

You all know this is true!
Oh god the memories! Why didn't that damn seal come with a mute button?
I always thought it said "Hero, your health is low. What's that?", so I spent ages looking around when nothing was there.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
Yeah, Fable II didn't make me chuckle that much, but the little story on the loading screen about how the Guildmaster from the first game was reportedly found dead with the words YOUR HEALTH IS LOW carved into his forehead? Heeheehee.

clicketycrack

Apr 6, 2009
Bourne said:
SmilingKitsune said:
Bourne said:
"Hero, your health is low. Watch that."

You all know this is true!
Oh god the memories! Why didn't that damn seal come with a mute button?
I know! Although Fable II was quite amusing for this: "Shortly after Jack of Blades was slain by a Hero, the Guildmaster was rumored to be killed by that same Hero. The words "Your health is low" were etched into his forehead."
Thats also the name of the potion shop in bloodstone

shadowice558

Apr 8, 2009
Quel0 said:
Oh, and any noise except the original game noises in TF2... What's with the servers that play crappy music/random noises and enforce a rule that you have to listen to it without complaint?
i admin a couple of servers that are renowned for micspamming.
here in aus we have a couple (pure carnage and unreal aussies) that will take a vote to mute someone occasionally.
nobody forces you to listen to anything, lrn2mute

Devoto

Apr 15, 2009
Latest Prince Of Persia.

The "WOOOSH!" and "WAZOOOOMZ!!" that follows every plate you jump from.
Also the whistling, sizzling, windnoise during flight.

Other than that, the Zeldagames "low-health-bippi-bippi-bippi-bippi"

Fablaam

Apr 12, 2009
Its not inside the game world, but the sound of a 60 dollars 360 game grinding in the disc tray when you move the Xbox is pretty painful

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
i don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but when playing split-screen cod4, everyone ran like hell if they heard an intake of breath, indicating a sniper steadying his aim, for those who haven't played it

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
Supreme Commander, where everyone who talks to you, which is a lot of people, every time they talk to you, at the end of pretty much every sentence or minor paragraph... practically always feel the need to utter the soon-to-be terminally trite catchphrase "[my name/rank/department] out." So, there's "Blow up the enemy base! Ops out.", followed by "The enemy base is to the southeast. Ops out.", followed by (and this is no exaggeration) "We've got strange readings from the west, check that out too. Ops out." and long before you get a basic base up and running and can actually start producing units with which to do these things, "You haven't blown up the base yet, is there a problem? Ops out."

Now, isn't it a bit strange that they start talking again after they've said "out"? Shouldn't they just say everything they have to say at the moment, THEN say "[me] out", if they absolutely must use that sort of tiring military jargon in the first place...?

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
"Radiation levels detected"

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but most of the suit noises in Half-Life are quite annoying

Rimefrost

Mar 30, 2009
The drowning music in the old Sonic games.

Either that or hearing "Kirov Reporting" in Red Alert 2 when your not playing as the Soviets.

HazukiHawkins

Mar 3, 2009
Devoto said:
Latest Prince Of Persia.

The "WOOOSH!" and "WAZOOOOMZ!!" that follows every plate you jump from.
Also the whistling, sizzling, windnoise during flight.

Other than that, the Zeldagames "low-health-bippi-bippi-bippi-bippi"
I love the way those stylized rune effects all around the edge of the screen make it so hard to see in fly mode that you lose perspective and keep smacking into things... until about the fifth time in a long flight sequence.

wlminter

Apr 14, 2009
I hate the sound of the disc breaking in the console. That counts right?

As for sounds actually in the game; I guess it would be the squeal of the patient demons in Silent Hill 2. You know, when they're crawling (I guess) around on the ground they have that really annoying high-pitched squeal.