Worst Story in a game Ever

Dapz

New member
Sep 2, 2009
40
0
0
Galaxy 2. I enjoyed how the first game had more story than usual, but the ending was a bit WTF! When I saw they were making a sequel, I thought that ther excuse for making their sequel even less different from its predecessor than Mario games usually are would be that they were going to explain and continue from that ending. Instead, the first game was completely retconned, the game seemed to assume you hadn't played the first game (or hope so at least) and at no point did anyone acknowledge that something suspiciously similar had happened about 2 1/2 years ago.
 

Raskolnikov34

New member
Jun 10, 2011
105
0
0
Modern Warfare 2.

I could right pages on the amount of plot holes in that game.
Also, anything involving "space marines" (with the exception of Mass Effect).

Most game stories are generally shit though, so a better question would be to ask about the good stories.
 

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
8,376
0
41
The story to Two Worlds 2, the story just failed to make me care at all about any of the characters and it was overly confusing most of the time and you just go where the game tells you to without any idea what's going on.
 

-Drifter-

New member
Jun 9, 2009
2,521
0
0
Homefront comes to mind, mostly because of Connor's insano-logic. I'm sure I can do better though.

Gonna need a moment here, there are a lot of shitty game stories after all.

EDIT: HEAVY RAIN. No question.
 

Lukeje

New member
Feb 6, 2008
4,048
0
0
Tetris. It's allegory on the state of the communist regime in the USSR was tired, predictable, and thoroughly dull.
 

Sensenmann

New member
Oct 16, 2008
291
0
0
Borderlands must be mentioned as the biggest let down.

Mirrors Edge was about clearing your sister's name and killing lots of policemen though.
 

the spud

New member
May 2, 2011
1,408
0
0
ToastiestZombie said:
the spud said:
Ever heard of 50 cent, blood on the sand?

It gets pretty ridiculous.
In the words of Charlie Brooker the whole story is "that ***** took my skull"
That's pretty much it.

And he is determined to kill as many foreigners as it takes to get it back.
 

The Random One

New member
May 29, 2008
3,310
0
0
Raskolnikov34 said:
Most game stories are generally shit though, so a better question would be to ask about the good stories.
Yeah, I think a more constructive question to ask would be 'What is the worst story in a game that pretends like it actually has a good story?' Sure, stuff like THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS isn't stellar, but it's more of a framing device than a story. When the story is crap and then the game stops to rub that crap on your face (wow, I think I just won some sort of metaphor award) then it gets aggravating.

Personally, I'll cast a blanket vote for any game that has a twist ending that either a) comes out of nowhere just to fuck with you or b) is telegraphed so hard that it would be a much better twist if it didn't happen.
 

JediMB

New member
Oct 25, 2008
3,094
0
0
Dapz said:
Galaxy 2. I enjoyed how the first game had more story than usual, but the ending was a bit WTF! When I saw they were making a sequel, I thought that ther excuse for making their sequel even less different from its predecessor than Mario games usually are would be that they were going to explain and continue from that ending. Instead, the first game was completely retconned, the game seemed to assume you hadn't played the first game (or hope so at least) and at no point did anyone acknowledge that something suspiciously similar had happened about 2 1/2 years ago.
There was not retconning. There were even references made to the first Galaxy games.

Mario games just don't have very tight continuity, because the basic stories are just excuses to go out and jump on stuff.
 

Prometherion

New member
Jan 7, 2009
533
0
0
Dead Rising 1

Which can be summarised by the following,

"American beef industry makes zombie cows out of zombie wasps. Hispanic man whose family is killed by said wasps plots revenge by causing a zombie outbreak in the middle of bloody nowhere. Then said hispanic hangs round said bloody nowhere for no reason. Journalist uses both orange juice and sledgehammers to find the truth."
 

AndrewF022

New member
Jan 23, 2010
378
0
0
Borderlands and Just Cause 2 are two fairly recent games with bad stories.. but never the less they ares till two awesome games.

Of course pretty much any game made before the 90's had a bad story (bar a few exceptions). But thats obviously not fair to criticize a NES/Master System game of having a bad story.
 

Daniel Cygnus

New member
Jan 19, 2009
1,700
0
0
More or less any of the non-RPG Mario games. (Princess is stolen! Steal her back!)

Doom works, too. (Demons? In MY moon base?! Not anymore!)
 

Simple Bluff

New member
Dec 30, 2009
582
0
0
"Worst Story Ever" is a bit too hard. I'll just go with "Some sensless stuff from the top of my head".

Heavy Rain: Very major plotholes that they didn't even try to hide. Obviously the devs were waiting to rectify it in the sequel, if one comes out, but it's still a bit baffling.

Kingdom Hearts 2: Why Nomura thought a giant identity theft crisis was a good plot device for every goddamned twist in that game is beyond me. The overarching plot altogether was alright though.

Dragon Age 2: The ending to be precise, I was actually enjoying it up until then. I'm not going to spoil it but I believe people who played till the end will know what I'm talking about when say worst thing you could possibly do, you idiot.

I'll edit if I think of more.
 

Raskolnikov34

New member
Jun 10, 2011
105
0
0
The Random One said:
Raskolnikov34 said:
Most game stories are generally shit though, so a better question would be to ask about the good stories.
Yeah, I think a more constructive question to ask would be 'What is the worst story in a game that pretends like it actually has a good story?' Sure, stuff like THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS isn't stellar, but it's more of a framing device than a story. When the story is crap and then the game stops to rub that crap on your face (wow, I think I just won some sort of metaphor award) then it gets aggravating.

Personally, I'll cast a blanket vote for any game that has a twist ending that either a) comes out of nowhere just to fuck with you or b) is telegraphed so hard that it would be a much better twist if it didn't happen.
True, there's different varieties of "bad" stories.

There's really only a handful of games I consider to have good stories...its kinda sad, so much wasted potential as a medium.