Nov 14, 2010
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
Call of duty modern warfare. all of them
call of duty black-ops.
Battlefield bad company 1 & 2
Battlefield 3.

reason: All together now kids!
COLD WAR FANTASIST WANK GAMES!

i'll give you COD, but your confuseing story with more what can be described as NICHE, the stories in bad co. one and two were damn entertaining.
and you dont fight in the cold war in BF3. its in the mid east.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Drakmeire said:
Well Master Blaster has a Storyline so insanely bad it's awesome
Kid has a pet frog who escapes and runs into his backyard and jumps into a vat of nuclear waste (that I guess happened to be in his backyard). the frog mutates and runs into the sewers, when the kid chases it he finds a tank (in the sewer I guess) so the rest of the game is trying to hunt down your pet frog.
actually, that's only on the USA version, the Japanese one was about a war on an alien planet, and the main character is some sort of special soldier

maybe you already knew this, but eh, I'm an opinionated jackass ^-^

now, OT, I don't really have a choice, unless it has a good story, I don't really care or notice

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Killzone 3. KZ 1 was okay, and KZ 2's story was nonexistent so it didn't matter, but Killzone 3's ending was so balls out stupid that I had to turn the game off.

Also, Force Unleashed 2. What the fuck was up with that!? The first game might have been boring, but at least its story was coherent. Boba Fett shows up in Fuck You 2 and then only hangs around in the cutscenes. That's it. The rest is just as garbage.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
call of duty black-ops.
Battlefield 3.

Battlefield 3 isn't even out yet, that's hardly fair.

Also, Black Ops and Bad Company 1 are hardly Cold War fantasist wank games. Black Ops by no means glorifies it's subject matter and in Bad Company 1 you pretty much abandon the army.

OT:(Speaking of games that are basically Cold War fantasy) Alot of Tom Clancy games have really weak stories (exceptions probably being Splinter Cell and possibly EndWar). They usually revolve around- Kill this guy, prevent war, the end.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Pac-man. You're a crazy yellow mouth thing! Eat pellets and avoid the ghosts. Wait ghosts? Yes ghosts! Also eat the fruit that pops up and if you eat a big pellet you can eat the ghosts (wait what?) but only for a short time then you can't. You can also leave the world on one side and come back in on the other side (mind = blown). It sounds like a bad acid trip.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Gears of War. Although they are great games with fun campaigns, there really isn't much behind the story, and when it tried to get emotional in 2 (Dom having to shoot his wife in the face), it was just laughable and felt like somebody who doesn't like to get too close to people giving you an awkward hug.

johnnnny guitar

Jul 16, 2010
mireko said:
Indigo Prophecy.

A great story is the only thing that could've saved that game. It had the opposite of that.
agreed I liked indigo prophecy but god did the story nose dive It was still cool but it was really Dumb.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Despite all of the crap Final Fantasy XIII got, for whatever reason I was able to understand the story without reading the datalogs which actually kind of scares me.

Worst story however is probably Star Wars: Obi-Wan. The game brings up sub-plots frequently and out of nowhere, and half of them are never elaborated on.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
call of duty black-ops.
Battlefield 3.

i'll give you COD, but your confuseing story with more what can be described as NICHE, the stories in bad co. one and two were damn entertaining.
and you dont fight in the cold war in BF3. its in the mid east.
Well thats just as cliched as the whole cold war going hot games so either way but i digress i feel asthough Jegsimmons is judging a book(Game) by it cover so :/

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Nfritzappa said:
Ninja Gaiden II

does anybody here know exactly what happened in that game?
its coming back to me
I remember Blood, yep lots of that
explosions, plenty of those
over sized breasts, yep plenty of them too
thats the extent of the plot I understood

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
A lot of game stories are extremely simple which I don't have a problem with that. Such as aliens attacked shoot and kill them all, the princess was kidnapped go save her. I wouldn't really say these type of games have the worse stories, just lack thereof. A lot of games the gameplay itself is the emphasis and they don't require much storytelling and plot.

But, enough rambling. I was truly let down by Eternal Sonata. The whole Chopin dying and the game being his dream sequences as he slowly dies from TB was a very interesting concept, but in my opinion it was horribly executed.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Jonny49 said:
Battlefield 3 isn't even out yet, that's hardly fair.

Also, Black Ops and Bad Company 1 are hardly Cold War fantasist wank games. Black Ops by no means glorifies it's subject matter and in Bad Company 1 you pretty much abandon the army.

OT:(Speaking of games that are basically Cold War fantasy) Alot of Tom Clancy games have really weak stories (exceptions probably being Splinter Cell and possibly EndWar). They usually revolve around- Kill this guy, prevent war, the end.
you thought Endwar and BO had good stories, but Rainbow Six did not?
I rather liked Rainbow Six Vegas' story
Terrorists in Vegas
shiny lights, big guns, decent plot twist. I will admit it got hard to follow at times, but was pretty good otherwise

and I did love Bad Company 1's story, the light-heartedness, and wacky dialogue.
Bad Company 2 was a huge letdown for me, not only were the missions EXTREMELY LINEAR, but all of the humor and light tone were gone...
gone...

Drunkbot

Nov 9, 2010
Quellist said:
Xenosaga....not helped by the writer leaving after the first game (yes i am banging on about Xenosaga again, sorry).
Xenosaga has a fairly terrible story. I liked episode 1, but then in 2 and 3 they had taken a left turn that I missed. I maybe could have gotten back on board if there was Space Jesus, and he was a dinosaur.

But I really believe Star Ocean: Till the End of Time has the worst video game story ever. Yet the combat was good, so I skipped every cut-scene as they filled me with a vile, uncontrollable rage from the time of the major plot twist forward.

For all the people saying Borderlands, I have to disagree on the grounds that not having a story can be better than having an atrocious one. It seemed to me their intent was to have the game populated with characters more memorable for sound bytes than what they contribute to a plot (Hey just like Duke Nukem), which isn't the worst design choice.

Unlike the plot twist in Till the End of Time.

edit: Honorable mention for Blazblue. I enjoy playing it, but the plot is (semi?) infinite repetitions in a time loop with cyborg clone incest. Maybe it is a metaphor for some mythology and I am just not getting it. I am open to interpretations if anybody has some.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Neverwinter Nights 2, Storm of Zehir.

Rather than NWN2's OC, which was character driven, or Mask of the Betrayer wich was story driven, it had no real drive

Basically, the moral is: Don't trust snake people.

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
The Tekken series. Hell, most fighting games have pretty strange stories, but although Tekken 3 is one of my favorite games of all times, the plotline is pretty ludicrous.