Worst Story in a game Ever

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Worst story for me would have to be Def Jam 2: Fight for New York. Don't et me wrong it's still a good fighting game with one of the best character creators ever but my god was the story stupid. It made no sense whatsoever. it's basically this fighting game that features a bunch of real life rappers like Ludacris and Snoop Dog, and I think David Banner was in it too. I guess they're in like some underground fight club thing, and I don't know Snoop Dog is the villain. Here just watch. This is what the whole game is like.

Still it's a pretty fun game despite that. The only thing that holds it back is the complete lack of online multiplayer. If there was an HD re-release I'd pick it up in a heart beat. Also you can throw Sean Paul in front of a Subway and thats always fun.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Kadoodle said:
Ummmm...Just Cause 2 anyone?
You get to fight against ninjas and on a missile in mid-air. Nuff said.

Front Mission Evolved had one of the most awful story in any game I ever played. I suppose games like Postal does not count.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Dragon Age 2. It didn't really have a coherent story as such, just a series of events one after the other, some of which had a thin, tenuous connection to some of the events, many of the other events stood pretty much alone.

Primee133

Sep 30, 2009
Legendairy314 said:
When I think about it, probably Duke Nukem.

In a nutshell: Aliens took hot chicks, kill aliens.
Duke Nukem's a parody of FPS games. It's meant to have a simple, stupid story.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
Battlefield 3.

reason: All together now kids!
COLD WAR FANTASIST WANK GAMES!
You must tell me the numbers for the next lottery prize, you time traveling sorcerer!

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
So you play as this soldier and you do secretive missions for the US government and one of your primary concerns is not to be discovered or connected to the US Military, but regardless you spend most of your time blowing up armored cars and mowing down small nations with whatever gun you pick up; Hell, the beginning of the game is you running into an open street filled with cop-cars and being ordered to FIRE A GRENADE LAUNCHER INTO THE STREET followed by you stealing a police car and driving through a barricade that explodes for no reason except to make the game's TRAILER look good!

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
SNIPERFOX ft. Harry P.Ness said:
Call of duty modern warfare. all of them
call of duty black-ops.
Battlefield bad company 1 & 2
Battlefield 3.

reason: All together now kids!
COLD WAR FANTASIST WANK GAMES!
Aye, as bad as Bad Company's story was (I haven't played the second title myself), you must appreciate the aesthetic and how it managed to carry over in its entirety to the online play.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
icame said:
Enslaved. The characters were fine, but the story itself was bad, mostly because of that retarded ending that was completely out of left field.
Basically this

To me Enslaved story didn't even seem like it was based off journey to the west. It was more or less a story based around Trip's useless ass getting poor Monkey in trouble. Then the whole reason why Monkey is enslaved in the first place is stupid by all means. Both him and Trip are basically screwed without the plot device and would be forced to team up anyway. Yet she attaches a bomb to the only person that would help her. It's like they wanted to make her a serious character yet it was basically fuck up, after fuck up. Finally that ending very retarded and out of the left field indeed.

Another story I didn't like was Shadow of the Colossus. I couldn't justify pointless killing all the colossi for 1 human life because from the get go I knew it wouldn't work. It tries to make it important to save her but by the time you finish the game you feel like dumbass. All that hard work for nothing, yeah the girl survives but all that hard work for no reward on the hero's end.

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
Assassin's Creed. I mean the series is good but ugh! Who cares!? I just want to run around on rooftops and kill people in cool places. Stop bringing me to the future and stop talking about pseudo gods that created the assassins and placed messages in the past or whatever. It's the only game I can think of in which the story gets in way of the gameplay.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on that. Sure the gameplay is great, but the story is equally great. The Sci-fy aspect of the story makes it unique and interesting. I actually can't wait to see what the hell happened after the end of Brotherhood. But I guess to each his own.

Trixsy

Jun 1, 2011
Simple Bluff said:
Dragon Age 2: The ending to be precise, I was actually enjoying it up until then. I'm not going to spoil it but I believe people who played till the end will know what I'm talking about when say worst thing you could possibly do, you idiot.

I'll edit if I think of more.
I know what you're talking about, and while it made me super rage, it made sense for that character to do that.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
Warlord211 said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Assassin's Creed. I mean the series is good but ugh! Who cares!? I just want to run around on rooftops and kill people in cool places. Stop bringing me to the future and stop talking about pseudo gods that created the assassins and placed messages in the past or whatever. It's the only game I can think of in which the story gets in way of the gameplay.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on that. Sure the gameplay is great, but the story is equally great. The Sci-fy aspect of the story makes it unique and interesting. I actually can't wait to see what the hell happened after the end of Brotherhood. But I guess to each his own.
It could be a good story, but I don't think Ubisoft knows what to do with it. The main story of Brotherhood only delays the story as a whole and had not accomplished anything from the last game. The only new bit of story was the multiplayer which they could have just sold for 20 bucks without the need for a singleplayer campaign. I hope they wrap it up next game.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Final Fantasy VIII

If anyone can figure out that disjointed, convoluted mess, tell me who's your dealer. It's as if a dozen writers were writing a dozen different stories and then stuck them all together in the flimsiest ways possible.

JackWestJr

Apr 9, 2011
Raskolnikov34 said:
Modern Warfare 2.

I could right pages on the amount of plot holes in that game.
Also, anything involving "space marines" (with the exception of Mass Effect).

Most game stories are generally shit though, so a better question would be to ask about the good stories.
Fuuuuuuuuk, don't get me started on Space Marines...

Anyway, for me... probably any mario game ever

Malikaw

May 28, 2011
Selvec said:
Brombaq said:
Black Ops Story was actually interesting and enjoyable...
I bet you guys have never really tryed to play black ops only focusing on the singleplayer especially the twist in that story is nice. I know that there are better games out there but I cant stand people that say that the story sucks.
Well your going to hate me, as I played the game only on singleplayer, I hate multiplayer, and I can still say with 100% assurance that COD: Black Ops has a complete stinker of a story.

Yep.

Dude gets confused, dude kills people. Some how during the whole game, not one person wonder why he's talking to thin air, or to ask him about it. Nor does he get any form of debriefing after he's returned from captivity.

That thing was just full of plotholes.
Well I agree the story was sort of laughable but if you actually go replay the missions you start to notice that your companions do say shit like "What the fuck is wrong with you?" whenever you talk to Reznov. Btw I don't see how I was able to shoot Russians with a machine gun while T-bagging a enemy with 2 shotguns in my hands. (Im referring to the fact that everything Reznov does Mason is really doing)

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Fallout 3.

Even if you ignore the lore screw-ups the main story is still pretty bad.

The whole purifier thing is pointless as there are other methods of getting rid of radiation (plus it's been 200 years, it shouldn't still be this strong).

Oh and let's use a GECK to get the purifier working even though we could just use the GECK itself to create a more liveable environment.

Oh look the Enclave are back and they're out for revenge in full force after being nuked.

Oh no, the radiation in the purifier is high you must go in there and sacrifice yourself to save us all. Oh wait, I have a ghoul companion I can just get him to turn it on.

What do you mean I have to go in and turn it on, you're immune to radiation!?

*Install Broken Steel*

Charon: "Oh hey yeah you're right, I am immune to radiation, silly me."

Oh crap, the Enclave are back and out to destroy the BoS again, maybe it was a bad idea to blow them up.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Drunkbot said:
Quellist said:
Xenosaga....not helped by the writer leaving after the first game (yes i am banging on about Xenosaga again, sorry).
Xenosaga has a fairly terrible story. I liked episode 1, but then in 2 and 3 they had taken a left turn that I missed. I maybe could have gotten back on board if there was Space Jesus, and he was a dinosaur.

But I really believe Star Ocean: Till the End of Time has the worst video game story ever. Yet the combat was good, so I skipped every cut-scene as they filled me with a vile, uncontrollable rage from the time of the major plot twist forward.

For all the people saying Borderlands, I have to disagree on the grounds that not having a story can be better than having an atrocious one. It seemed to me their intent was to have the game populated with characters more memorable for sound bytes than what they contribute to a plot (Hey just like Duke Nukem), which isn't the worst design choice.

Unlike the plot twist in Till the End of Time.

edit: Honorable mention for Blazblue. I enjoy playing it, but the plot is (semi?) infinite repetitions in a time loop with cyborg clone incest. Maybe it is a metaphor for some mythology and I am just not getting it. I am open to interpretations if anybody has some.
You hit the nail on the head with Xenosaga. Episode 1 had a good enough story i could have put up with the linear gameplay and awful combat, so many plot twists got thrown out after that when the writer left including JR becoming an adult instead of remaining a truly horrible child for the entire series.

I liked Till the end of time however....*shrug*