Would a movie about a comic book villain appeal to you? Also do you think it would work?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Eamar said:
Paradox SuXcess said:
Eamar said:
I think it could be done. X-Men First Class did a decent job of sympathetically setting up the future villains (though of course in X-Men hardly anyone's a villain forever, so...). Actually, wasn't there meant to be a standalone Magneto movie at some point?
Yeah before X-Men Origins: Wolverine was released, they were planning a series of Origin movies. If the first was successful, they would carry on with either Deadpool or Magneto.

After credit scene, was Deadpool arm reaching for his head, his eyes open, and he says "sshh". I would show you a clip but they are all fuzzy, sorry

Cause that movie and plans failed, they decided to go a different route and do First Class which told enough of Magneto's origin story. Soooo Fox was stuck on what to do after.
Ah, that makes sense. I remember wondering if something like that had happened when I first saw First Class, seeing as how it featured so much of Magneto's origin story.

Didn't know about the spoiler either, as I only saw Wolverine on DVD :)
Yeah the X-Men Origins, is something everyone wants to forget which is why The Wolverine was made to tell his story better and make others forget that there was another one before that. Good news thought (I think), Deadpool movie is still being developed and put together. When will it be completed? No one knows.

CAPTCHA: "I'm so cold" - are you reading my mind internet?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, but owing to dramatic conventions it would have to be an anti-villain, so they can win.

Venom would be my first choice, perhaps examining Eddie Brock's twisted relationship with the symbiote and how it only loves him (as someone who has gone through life without much love from anyone else) when he's raging at Spider-Man/other people he doesn't like. It's also been made a parallel for drug abuse.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I kinda wanna see a Secret Six movie.

I've been a long time Venom fan, so a movie with them would be cool, though I'd want a more classic hulking venom with maw, and tongue over what we recently got in a movie. Spiderman 3's venom kinda sucked.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Eh, they've sort of tried it. First Class was essentially a retooling of a Magneto movie. Debatedly it became overburdened by attempting to also be an X-Men origin movie on top.

There was Catwoman, but then again, thats terrible, and they used a more definitively heroic version of the character.

You could make a case that The Dark Knight was Two-Face's (yes, he had the main arc of development compared to Joker, or Batman himself), which went reasonably well.

Of course, all of these are origin stories. I don't know as you could focus a movie around a comic book supervillain simply wreaking his havoc. There is stuff like Wolf of Wall Street that very much focuses on despicable people doing despicable things, but comic book movies tend to follow more standardized action tropes with a hero/antihero vs a villain. On the fringe side, "comedic sociopathy" would probably be the next best bet, with something like Deadpool.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Silvanus said:
They could make something a bit like House of Cards about Lex Luthor or the Kingpin.
Now that could be interesting!

The only reason I like a Brainiac focused story: what you could do that would be so different from anything we've seen before.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Gorfias said:
Silvanus said:
They could make something a bit like House of Cards about Lex Luthor or the Kingpin.
Now that could be interesting!

The only reason I like a Brainiac focused story: what you could do that would be so different from anything we've seen before.
Just do the first volume of punisher max as the kingpin origin. It is a great character arc, from childhood to lackey to becoming the kingpin. Probably won't fly with disney as it's be an 18 cert easy. It also features the mennonite, possibly the hardest man ever ever ever.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Chronicle was essentially a story about a supervillain, and a good one at that.
Based on that, I think it could work.

I would really like to see The Darkness adapted into a movie. Jackie is technically a good guy but he's also a mobster hitman and after the Darkness awakens in him, he becomes sort of a genocidal maniac.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
The villain protagonist is a very tough character to pull off in my honest opinion. Make him too villainous and he could potentially become too repugnant for the audience. Make him too redeemable and he potentially becomes a hero. It's a very tough balancing act to pull.

It can work though; one of the best examples I've seen on screen was Walter White on Breaking Bad. Of course, Breaking Bad was a five-season-long television series, and thus had more time to build its characters and used it well.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
I think it depends on the motivation of the villain. For example awhile back DC comics did a short run that I believe was called Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. It was basically life from Lex's point of view as well as encompassing one of his typical "destroy/discredit superman" plots. However it got further into his personal ideology and his reason for doing what he does, as well as showing some moments where he's not an utter jerk 100% of the time. He's still incredibly ruthless, and some of the things he did were pretty bad, but as you got a sense of WHY he did things and how he views his world, you didn't really root for him, but you understood him a bit more. He's still stupidly obsessed with superman, he's still got an obnoxious ego, he's still pretty much unlikable, but you at least learn to see where he's coming from.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Chris Bates said:
Genocidicles said:
Chris Bates said:
however as acording to Marvel Thor:The Dark World is the last time we will see Loki:/
Seriously?

Spoilers for Thor the Dark World:

There's a huge sequel hook at the end, what with Loki masquerading as Odin and ruling Asgard.

They're just going to forget about that? Really?
I know I saw that to and thought that there would be a follow up but in an interveiw with Empire magazine it was said a number of times it was going to be Loki's last outing.

Whether this is true is another matter - it could be misderection - I hope it is as Loki is a fantastic character with loads of depth
There have been dropped hints in interviews and the such that he MAY appear in Avengers 3. In all honestly, I haven't seen a 'no more loki' promise on anything besides Avengers 2. For all we know he could pop his evil adorable little conflicted head into Black Widow's movie (if she gets one. Would really like to know what happened in Budapest)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Don't they already have a movie about a villain called There Will Be Blood? Granted, he's not a comic-book villain but the throughout the entire movie it's quite clear that he's a villain considering the lengths that he'll go to in order to secure his profit margin.

There's also the Saw series. :p

"In Theory" could it work? As in, if a movie was made under ideal conditions and shown to an audience, would the audience find it enjoyable? Yes. I do think such a movie could work. But it'd have to be done in just the right way if you're going for a true-to-heart villain movie and not some cheesy "they might be a bad guy but there's still redeemable qualities, look at how loving and kind he is to his family" type thing.

Mr. Charles

Oct 23, 2011
Angelblaze said:
Chris Bates said:
Genocidicles said:
Chris Bates said:
however as acording to Marvel Thor:The Dark World is the last time we will see Loki:/
Seriously?

Spoilers for Thor the Dark World:

There's a huge sequel hook at the end, what with Loki masquerading as Odin and ruling Asgard.

They're just going to forget about that? Really?
I know I saw that to and thought that there would be a follow up but in an interveiw with Empire magazine it was said a number of times it was going to be Loki's last outing.

Whether this is true is another matter - it could be misderection - I hope it is as Loki is a fantastic character with loads of depth
There have been dropped hints in interviews and the such that he MAY appear in Avengers 3. In all honestly, I haven't seen a 'no more loki' promise on anything besides Avengers 2. For all we know he could pop his evil adorable little conflicted head into Black Widow's movie (if she gets one. Would really like to know what happened in Budapest)
Yeah I hope he does come back and a Black Widow film would be awesome but I think unlikely :/ - maybe they'll do a one-shot on it - that would be good

And generally - What about a TV series based on the Sith and a power struggle within them? Could be good - competing ideologies and plots - could end up like a Game of Thrones in space though which would probably end up rubish - just a thought:)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm not sure it'd work in a movie format. TV show, maybe. Many here have cited Breaking Bad, and although I've never watched it, I understand it's supposed to be good for having a bastard protagonist. In movie there just isn't the same amount of time for character development as there is in a TV show so there isn't time to establish that although the protagonist is an evil bastard we're supposed to root for him/her/whatever.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
As a few others have already said I think Magneto would work.

The main plot could be about him stopping some evil military plot against mutants and then in the end he inflicts his own evil anti-human plot down on them instead. And you could also do a sub-plot of dealing with his kids.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Angelous Wang said:
As a few others have already said I think Magneto would work.

The main plot could be about him stopping some evil military plot against mutants and then in the end he inflicts his own evil anti-human plot down on them instead. And you could also do a sub-plot of dealing with his kids.
Wasn't that basically the ending of First Class? Minus the children.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
You know OP, I'd really like to see someone adapt the web serial Worm [parahumans.wordpress.com] to the screen. The series is too damn big, long, and large-scale for a movie, but when it comes to protagonists who are bad guys, Taylor Hebert makes Walter White look like Captain America. Seriously, Worm should be a television show. Someone pick this thing up.

Oct 12, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Don't they already have a movie about a villain called There Will Be Blood? Granted, he's not a comic-book villain but the throughout the entire movie it's quite clear that he's a villain considering the lengths that he'll go to in order to secure his profit margin.

There's also the Saw series. :p

"In Theory" could it work? As in, if a movie was made under ideal conditions and shown to an audience, would the audience find it enjoyable? Yes. I do think such a movie could work. But it'd have to be done in just the right way if you're going for a true-to-heart villain movie and not some cheesy "they might be a bad guy but there's still redeemable qualities, look at how loving and kind he is to his family" type thing.
For me, one of the best made "villain as main character" movies I have ever seen was Monster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340855/?ref_=nv_sr_3

So I certainly believe it CAN be done. I know that if it was done well I could certainly enjoy it. The problem, I think, comes from the comic-book angle. Too many people who have a hand in how the movie gets made seem to assume you HAVE to have a hero protagonist, or an anti-hero at the very least, or they won't make the film.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The Salty Vulcan said:
The villain protagonist is a very tough character to pull off in my honest opinion. Make him too villainous and he could potentially become too repugnant for the audience. Make him too redeemable and he potentially becomes a hero. It's a very tough balancing act to pull.
This is more or less what I was thinking too. Make a movie about a villain and you'll have problems making the audience root for him and if they won't root for him they won't like the movie. Then there's the cliché that he changes his ways in the end which I am a little tired of. If they have a scheme to take over the world then manage to do it that will be an unpopular ending. If they get beaten in the end that will often seem anti climatic.

It could work, but it's very difficult to make it so.

It's easier to pull off an anti-hero.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm guessing the closest we've come so far have been the two Punisher movies. The Punisher isn't a villain but he's a pretty effective anti-hero. I'm also really surprised The Joker hasn't been given a movie based on his popularity and how there are a number of potential bad guys who he could face off against among Batman's rouge's gallery.

Anyway, I definitely think a villain could work as the protagonist of a film. Hell, over in Japan they made the live action Deathnote movies and they worked (granted those were more along the lines of a TV series which was turned into a feature length pair of films).

Anyway...ya know what would really work but they'd never make? Harley and Ivy as a live-action movie. THAT would work well as a feature-length movie I'd think.