Would a movie about a comic book villain appeal to you? Also do you think it would work?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Squilookle said:
tzimize said:
Squilookle said:
tzimize said:
Squilookle said:
I wrote a radio play about this sort of thing- and then Megamind and Despicable Me happened. Oh well, it was still a fun screenplay. Yes, I would enjoy a movie like that. If people liked Scarface, I'm sure they could get behind a supervillain story.
While I get where you're coming from, neither of those are really villains. They're just grumpy. Real villains are evil. They do not grow to be a hero in the end, thats about their entire point. The amount of horror I would feel if I saw a redeemed Joker would be...unfathomable.
Actually, all someone in a work of fiction needs to do to be a villain is be actively malevolent, or work against the protagonist. Both of them do count as villains. If you need to see someone commit murder, rape or torture in order to be seen as a villain, then there's a lot of great villains that do not meet that criteria you're missing out on. Not growing to be a hero has never been a clear cut rule for a villain, because where they end up has nothing to do with what they are labelled as beforehand. Same thing goes for regular criminals.
Well, sure. If you wanna be pedantic about it. But I'm pretty confident you can see a very clear cut between for example Joker as a villain, and Megamind as a villain. And that movies with them in the front seat would be radically different.

I dont really agree with your definition either. A villain is by definition an evil force. An antagonist doesnt have to be evil. A villain can be a protagonist or antagonist (who the story is about or who works against the main character), but a Villain...is evil. Megamind is not evil. Joker is.
Pretty sure you're the one bringing the pedantry into it- I see 'villain' as an overarching umbrella term. You're trying to make exceptions. Sure the Joker and Megamind couldn't be more different. Austin Powers and Jason Bourne couldn't be more different either... they still get branded under a common title.
I have nothing to say about spies, I'm talking about villains.

I'm pretty sure antagonist is the overarching umbrella term you're looking for. An antagonist and a villain is not the same thing. According to dictionary.com a villain is wicked/criminal/the force of evil in a story. An antagonist is simply the force working against the protagonist (which may or may not be a hero). Hell, I dont think Megamind is either the antagonist nor the villain of his movie. He's just made out to be it in the beginning. Which is why I dont really see it as a movie about an actual villain.