Would Anyone Like To Explain What The Fuck This Is?!

raklin

Mar 26, 2011
Phoenix_XIII said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/10/jesus-ween-christian-halloween_n_1003395.html?1318270211

Okay. So let me get on the rant now.

I am a Pagan. And I for one find this to be bullshit.

Halloween is a sacred holiday. Pagan New Year, my friends. And this bullshit is what makes me hate America.

Let me tell you, I'm done defending the intelligence of this country if no one can follow our own Freedom of Religion bit. Fucking hell, I can't even think straight right now in regards to this. Someone, please post a better rant. I don't even have words. There ARE no words....
Do you remember Christmas? Yeah. That was a pagan holiday too. Easter? With christ rising from the grave? Pagan holiday, too. We Christians have been ninjaing your holidays for thousands of years, buddy. >:D

EDIT: To be clear, this would never catch on. Not a catchy enough name, and people don't really care about stuff like this anymore.

Imperius

Sep 13, 2010
On one hand I agree with you that making everything about Jesus is stupid and redundant. Yes I tend towards Christianity, but that does not mean I don't occasionally wish to enjoy an escape from everyday life which is what Hallow's Eve provides.

I love Halloween, it is my favourite holiday, and I'm about as conservative as they come. Yes I know the history, I'm not stupid or ignorant. I just choose to believe there is no harm in it as long as you don't consort with demons and pagan spirits and other such non-sense.

In all honesty, the OP's religion seems silly to me, and I would enjoy ridiculing him to no end for being so offended and so audicious to expect us to respect his personal choices as absolute truth and holy to everyone.

In this day and age, this is simply not the case. I believe he has a right to observe the holiday in the way he sees fit, but don't expect me to endorse it.

On a related note, I would like to say I feel sorry for the kids with uptight parents and churches. I was made to sit through many lame ass "harvest festivals" and dress in "Christian outfits" as a kid cause of this shit. But luckily my parents were enlightened enough to realized its all just make believe and I got to go home, put on my real costume and trick or treat :)

*I am a Deist by the way

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
Wiccans don't celebrate "halloween" per se, but Samhain does fall somewhere near October 31st. Halloween is not sacred to Wiccans, so I really don't get the OP's argument except that he/she feels the right to be offended by unoffensive things.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If Christianity stole this holiday, it did so 1200 years ago, friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

Samhain was taken over by the feast of All Saints' Day then. Halloween in name didn't exist until 800 years later, and it's pretty safe to say it was Christian's celebrating it.

Not to mention the etymology of 'Halloween', or furthermore 'holiday', is Christian in origin. The fact the any pagan would claim that Christian's are stealing their holiday from them just shows that they are practicing not something they believe and understand, but rather something they feel like representing themselves with.

Though if the people mad at Christian's for taking over Halloween are a little slow, then the group trying to give Halloween a stupid name because they don't know it already means roughly "the holy's evening" are outright morons.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
They are only promoting it. Yes it's stupid, but they aren't actively forcing anyone to go along with it. They aren't going around rounding up people celebrating in other ways, so it's still well within the bounds of freedom of religion.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
All Souls day and all saints day... apparently this group never heard of them.
I was gonna point that out too. Halloween's already a Christian holiday. Oh well, Alberta's the Texas of Canada, so if something stupid like this had to happen in Canada it was bound to be Alberta.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Phoenix_XIII said:
Let me tell you, I'm done defending the intelligence of this country if no one can follow our own Freedom of Religion bit. Fucking hell, I can't even think straight right now in regards to this. Someone, please post a better rant. I don't even have words. There ARE no words....
Err, pretty sure they are exercising THEIR right to the Freedom of Religion.

It's not like you can't practice Halloween just like always.

And it's a dumb name anyway, it doesn't even follow the the linguistic origins of "Halloween", just arbitrarily took the last syllable "ween" and stuck that after "Jesus". Now it means: "Son of God Ponders"

Look, get into your head there are ALL SORTS of crazy religions and crazy religious practices in the world, and unless they directly affect you because they are interfering with your science curriculum or whatever... then it's none of your damn concern.

Do you really think america is about "Not tolerating or allowing any religion except the one I personally follow, regardless of contradiction"

(PS: could you explain to me how a Pagan is able to practice a Christian calender event? Because that is what Halloween is: Christian)

Dracowrath

Jul 7, 2011
I stopped reading partway through that article to facepalm. Some pastor talking about how halloween isn't christian, so instead of simply NOT celebrating it we have to create some bastardized version of it? That's some special kinda retarded there, pal.

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
its already been said but, Freedom of Religion doesnt mean "listen to mine or else". Unfortunately for you, Freedom of Religion means that any religion can exist and say whatever the hell they would like. Another reason i dont HAVE a religion.

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
Tselis said:
The Christians took over every Pagan holiday they could in an effort to covert as many as they could before killing the rest. The majority of them are arrogant in their faith, ignorant of their faith's history, selfish, severely intolerant, and engage in idolatry. Given their history, does this honestly surprise you?
wow, generalization much? Man, sure glad that I'm not a Christian like Martin Luther King Jr, or Thomas Beckett, because they were just assholes, apparently. Hating a religion because of a rushed understanding of its history is also arrogant and selfish

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
You do realise that Halloween is a celebration in a christian sense as well, right?
All Saints Eve.

It's like your getting pissed because someone has a birthday the same day as you.
All I can tell you is to get over it.

MichaelTheBold

Aug 13, 2011
Dags90 said:
How is one religious group's decision to have and promote a separate, sanitized (i.e. boring) version of a holiday violating Freedom of Religion?

Oh right, it isn't. Either you posted the wrong article, or I've slipped into an alternate reality where "Freedom of Religion" means "everyone has to respect my religion".

Or maybe it's opposite day? It's either one of those or you're exactly what you seem to be angry about. Either way, the U.S. Constitution says you can "QQ MOAR PLZ", because it's their right to have, promote, and observe boring holidays.
the act of freedom of religion also implies that no religion will be pressed upon others.

Nomatophobe

Jun 16, 2011
How many people still celebrate Halloween anyway?

I know it's still around but I thought people gave up the whole walking around and knocking on peoples doors and just stuck to scary movies and costume parties.

I haven't seen a trick or treater in like 4 years...

Tselis

Jul 23, 2011
tirone231 said:
Tselis said:
The Christians took over every Pagan holiday they could in an effort to covert as many as they could before killing the rest. The majority of them are arrogant in their faith, ignorant of their faith's history, selfish, severely intolerant, and engage in idolatry. Given their history, does this honestly surprise you?
wow, generalization much? Man, sure glad that I'm not a Christian like Martin Luther King Jr, or Thomas Beckett, because they were just assholes, apparently. Hating a religion because of a rushed understanding of its history is also arrogant and selfish
Actually, I've read through the Bible (which is something that not many Christians I've met have done ), and I've studied history, and the impact religion has had on it. it's why I'm a non-believer. Religion is a crutch, and an excuse for behaving badly to other because they are not like you or your. No rushed or abridged history here, just a considered opinion. If you don't like it, oh fucking well. Oh, and pointing out exceptions doesn't invalidate something, it only highlights how exceptional they were.