Would Gaming be better off without Halo?

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Nobody seems to understand this so I'll just say it now;[HEADING=1]It's the popularity of Halo that ruined gaming[/HEADING]

Before you click on that beautiful red report button you should know (some of you already know) that I love Halo for what it is; Fucking fun.

Even though I love Halo, I think that gaming would be better off without it. The reason that I think it should be banned is because of what it did to the world of gaming. The first thing that it did to gaming was show companies that they can make a shitload of money by being unoriginal and so they just play it safe and just make sure that they can make their money back meaning that they won't take risks and make a game that would redeem gaming as an art form, a Citizen Kane of gaming if you will but right now they won't because if they make something that's not the exact same thing that we've all seen before the 12 year old twat demographic will be lost and they'll make shit all money which brings me nicely to my second point as to why gaming would be better off without Halo;

I couldn't really come up with a name for this group o' people so from now on lets call them the people that ruin gaming as an art form or "mainstream crowd" for short. These are the people who refuse to give a game a second thought unless it has high definition graphics and looks like coffee was spilt on it from the beginning and it is because of them that games like Killzone 2 become multi million dollar franchises while truly fantastic games like The Void (not to be confused with Dark Void) and Pathologic barely sell at all. It is because of them that Ice Pick Lodge is virtually unknown as a developer but even that's not the main reason as to why I hate them. The main reason is that if we get a Citizen Kane of gaming i.e. a game that proves that gaming can be a viable artistic medium, the overall quality of games will increase dramatically. Think of some of the greatest movies of all time, There Will be Blood or The Godfather, do you think that either of those would've been possible without Citizen Kane? So that is the main reason as to why I can't abide the mainstream crowd because it is them who are stopping us getting our Citizen Kane.

P.S. i cannot have a poll as I accidentally hit post instead of preview so do it the ol' fashioned way.

Mr.Kevin

Jan 16, 2010
I dont tink that killzone was that bad but i think the void should have gotten much more attention that it got

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
Mr.Kevin said:
I dont tink that killzone was that bad but i think the void should have gotten much more attention that it got
I was just using Killzone 2 as an example and you should try the soul crushing difficulty that is Pathologic

oh and welcome to the Escapist

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I think that if Halo wasn't made, then the current slot filled by Halo would just be filled by another shooter and we'd all be asking "Would gaming be better off without *insert game here*?"

AHWaffle

Nov 20, 2009
halo is one of the greatest games to hit the shelves and whats so wrong with unorginality.

The Kangaroo

Feb 24, 2009
AHWaffle said:
halo is one of the greatest games to hit the shelves and whats so wrong with unorginality.
I'm talking about advancing games as an art form

GodsAndFishes said:
I think that if Halo wasn't made, then the current slot filled by Halo would just be filled by another shooter and we'd all be asking "Would gaming be better off without *insert game here*?"
I'm assuming that it wasn't filled for the sake of argument

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
It's difficult to really say, with out Halo gaming might not yet be a casual frat boy thing, this would have slowed progress on other games (like CoD4, WaW, MW2, Killzone 2 and others, not all necessarily FPS's) and maybe even the strength of the consoles they run on.

So even as a Sony fanboy, I'll concede gaming would be worse off with-out Halo

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
The Kangaroo said:
AHWaffle said:
I'm talking about advancing games as an art form
And I'm not seeing the point. The Halo games are very good. The first one was a revolution in literal art and engine, and the second was a revolution in online capability. If later games aren't as good as those (you bring up "coffee stained graphics," which Halo has a noted lack of), it's because they totally missed the point.

That's the problem with assuming that "artistic" games will inevitably enhance the medium. You bring up Citizen Kane and The Godfather as though it was a natural progression, which I dispute. After all, The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen were masterpieces. What did they inspire? The Dark Age of comics.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
GodsAndFishes said:
I think that if Halo wasn't made, then the current slot filled by Halo would just be filled by another shooter and we'd all be asking "Would gaming be better off without Modern warfare?"
That is the most likely thing to happen, although I suppose it might be something else.

OP: there are plenty of games that prove gaming can be an art form. They're just not mentioned in the media, and you wanna know why: because they don't give a shit about games, they just want something to rag on.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't really see how Halo hinders gaming as an artform. First off, when it came out it was rather original. Secondly, if you're comparing games to movies, the existence (and popularity) of movies such as the craptastic Transformers 2 doesn't mean good movies are suddenly not made any more. Not saying that Halo is anywhere near the patheticness of Transformers 2, but Halo's existence (and popularity) did not stop the creation of something like Shadow of the Colossus.

Gaming is big enough now that it serves a large portion of the population and that pretty much demands catering to a large variety of tastes. Pretty much everyone watches movies, but not everyone wants to see Citizen Kane.

Strong Intelligent

Feb 25, 2009
*blows dust off of keyboard and types on this website fir the first time in a year*.

Halo's great. it's clones aren't.

It's not so much Halo's destroying gaming as an art, it's the kids who buy it. It makes a bunch of money so the other develepors cheat off of their math tests and attempt to make money the same way.

Why they couldn't of chosen, say, half-life 2 too copy off's beyond me.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
No.

I love Halo but i agree it's getting silly now. But what Halo really does is make other FPS' work harder. Is that not good in itself.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well if Halo wasn't created there's a good chance the Xbox would be dead, another shooter probably would be made, but not published by Microsoft.

On the other hand it would seriously cut down on the number of 10 year olds using microphones, so I'm just gonna call that Karmically even.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Halo isn't the first game to be blatantly copied by many other game developers for the sake of making easy money. Think back to the Nes; there were tons of crappy platforming games that tried to cash in on the success of the Super Mario Bros franchise. Would gaming also be better without Mario?

There are always going to be games like Halo. Uncreative people who are only interested in making money are always going to copy the most popular games available on the market. The absence of Halo would not change this trend. These people are not going to produce the types of games you desire. The people who make many of the games that could be considered "artistic" are indie developers, and they're are plenty of them.

So no, gaming would not be better off without Halo since it wouldn't really change much.

Also, don't insult people based on their preference of games. It makes you sound like an arrogant jerk.
VioletZer0 said:
Internet Kraken said:
Also, don't insult people based on their preference of games. It makes you sound like an arrogant jerk.
It isn't insulting their taste, really. It is insulting their closed mindedness.
I don't see how it's close-minded to dislike certain games. Just because those games happen to be "artistic", it does not mean they have bad taste. We all have different opinions.
DarkSaber said:
"Would Gaming be better off without Halo?"

Yes. That is all.
You should probably elaborate on that point, otherwise you just look like one of those fools that mindlessly spout "lol Halo sux".

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
No. If you like to play Halo, more power to you. I don't enjoy it much myself, but multiplayer really isn't my cup of tea.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I way I see it, any company that considers making a game that could possibly be called art aren't the ones which will copy a different game. It seems unlikely that any of the halo clones out there were produced by people with the creative spark to do something interesting.