Would naming my kid "Vault" be a detriment to him in life? Or a bonus giving him instant geek-cred?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
FamoFunk said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
FamoFunk said:
Your child, your choice (and the Wife's, of course)

My Daughter is called Aeris. I get nothing but compliments on what a beautiful name it is, even from the outspoken, traditional old folks.
Out of interest how do you pronounce that, Ay-ris or Ee-ris? I haven't played any FF games so I have no idea what the name it sounds like.
I say Air-iss. I bet, either on here or somewhere else (even RL) someone will tell me it's wrong no doubt, but I've seen so many way of pronouncing it (including the ones you just mentioned).
Huh, I didn't think of that pronunciation but that's quite pretty, the compliments you got were justified.

King of the Sandbox said:
Also, I'm out. Bed-time. For discussion value while I'm gone, propose similar names for a girl. Frontrunner? Moira.
Time to wheel out the old list I have tucked up somewhere in my brain for future daughter names, they may not be to your taste but I might as well list some:

Adelaide, Amelia, Amy, Charlotte, Chloe, Daisy, Esme, Eva, Evie, Maisy, Maya, Rose, Rosie, Sophie

Most aren't exceptionally rare where I live (England) as most of them are English based though there's a few different ones, I've never met a Adelaide or a Maya before. To be honest you're probably looking for something a bit more unusual given your male name tastes but those are what I like anyway.

Related to Fallout, all I can think of is Bethany (for Bethesda) or Amata.

Circusfreak

Mar 12, 2009
Vault actually sounds pretty cool.
hell, here in sweden you can be named Stone(Sten) or Bear(Björn) and that is perfectly normal.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Aprilgold said:
ProtoChimp said:
Brad Shepard said:
dont do it, just dont do it.
Too late. It's done. Well, it's decided. It'll be done when/if he gets here.

Thanks though for your well thought out points. :)

Also, I'm out. Bed-time. For discussion value while I'm gone, propose similar names for a girl. Frontrunner? Moira.
No, dude I'm not even gonna joke anymore. You are caring more about what you think is cool than caring about your kid. Take offence if you want, shit report me if you want I honestly don't care. I just wish you would have thought about this more, even as a middle name it's being stupid and mean. You want your kid to have trouble, (this guys quote puts it perfectly),
Your looking at it likes its a bad thing, when its really not that bad. Its a middle name for gods sake, Conan is based off of a writer *in some cases* who made many great books. If you look at the word alone without whats its referring to, its a dumb name. Vault is no exception to this, if you look at Vault within the context of many different mediums, you'll see its mainly used as a place that holds treasures, is haven or is wrapped in mystery.
The name itself can also refer to the mind or soul. Basically, you remember everything, then Vault means that you have the memory of a locked Vault. Referring to your body holding soul means its a Vault of Souls. So you could, essentially, make Vault refer to a place, instead of a verb, making many different combinations.
Has the riches of a Vault, has the strength of a Vault, has the ideas of freedom, Vault does. ETC, ETC.

Look, naming him something stereotypical is NOT going to stop him from being bullied, names NEVER stopped people from being hired, bullied or what not. Hell, think of how much worse this COULD be, he could name his kid Hitler, do you REALLY think that would be better? In reality, this name is different, will it make this kid more of a target to taking drugs or to being a murderer, NO, MOST BAD PEOPLE are like that because of bad parenting, being bullied to a very large extent, even having society shut them down. When a kid is born, that first 5 minutes is basically their most "pure" moment in their ENTIRE lives, from that onward, outside forces start pushing.
Okay fine, fair enough you make a fair point I didn't think of it that way. And true as a middle name it isn't as bad as it seems. But I still think it's irresponsible naming a kid after a reference. I'm gonna stop talking now 'cos I know this will turn into a flame war.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
I think naming your kid after something YOU are interested in is a bit selfish. Maybe he will hate videogames. I'm sure i would be pissed if my daddy named me after whatever video game they had back in the day.

Also, the "coolness" would feel more lame as time went on. Kind of like a stupid joke tatoo or an ironic band name.

And last, imagine if you call him vault and he gets bullied for it. It would feel kinda shitty if you subjected your child to pain just because you named him after a video game you liked in the past.

Seriously, dont do it.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
zehydra said:
A) Cracked.com is not really a reliable source
B) I was on of the most well behaved kids in school back in the day. My name is Theodore.
C) Luke is not an uncommon name. Just saying.
D) Correlation does not imply causation.
A: True, but the linked article from there is from a rather reliable source.
B: Glad to hear it, Teddy.
C: They generally have the force to keep them sane.
D: I will concede this.

SeriousIssues

Jan 6, 2010
I tried saying "Vault" outloud a few times, and it sounds just as nice of a name as Olga or Veronique. And by that, I mean it sounds like shit.
Your son will NOT appreciate a name that makes no sense unless you consider that his father got hooked on the idea of a super duper unique name from a game series several years old. He will be made fun of most likely, even if he's not being called "Pole Vault."
I'm sure girls will react just great to a boy being named Vault as well.

No, no, its a good idea to label your son "That Weird Video Game Kid" from birth. And not even with a name that sounds good...at least it isn't Link though.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
DanielBrown said:
Odd as it may seem to name a kid after an object, it isn't exactly something new(hinted towards the sarcastic nay-sayers of the thread). The only English ones I can think of at the moment is stripper names á la Amber and Jewel, but there are others afaik.
In Sweden you can name your son Sten, which is our word for rock...

Don't think Vault is a very fitting name for a person myself, but it's all up to you and your partner. Best to think about the kids future with that name though. Some old friends of mine named their kid Valle. I thought it was a nickname for Valdemar, but no - just Valle.
Valle rhymes with balle, which is slang for penis in Swedish, so that kid will not have fun during his early school years. Can't imagine how silly he'll feel with a name like that when he gets older and tries to find jobs.
huh, Valle is actually a place here in Norway. But so is Hell, so whatever.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
If you're naming him after fallout, then that is very geeky on your part and kind of stupid, but if it is for philosophical or symbolic reasons, then I would approve.

That's my only disapproval; a name is a very personal thing that many parents fuck up for selfish or ironic reasons. If you are genuine and not doing it because you're a nerd, then that's fine (I don't know what your motivations are).

Also, you are right about kids making fun of everyone's name: Jacob=Makeup, David=Hated, Garrett= Fagot, etc

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
Bran1470 said:
i am currently 17 (still attending school) and if i meet some one with the first name vault i would kick his ass just for having a stupid name.
You'd beat people up if you didn't like their name? IRL or OTI?

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Well... seeing as how I got here after all the edits were done, I'll just respond to the topic starter.

Because it's a middle name, I don't see a problem with it. If worse comes to worse and he hates it, he'll just do like my brother and some of his friends. Never tell anyone his nickname. Ever.

However... the whole not worried about bullying just because you think it will give him tougher skin I think it's flawed. Sure... maybe, he'll stand up for himself and be stronger. Or he'll feel so utterly lost that he'll kill himself or else shoot up the school. Those are equal possibilities too. I'm not saying to give him the name but honestly, the reasoning for keeping your decisions should probably be looked at further.

I'm curious. If we were talking about your daughter instead of your son, would you think it would be good for her to toughen up as well? Get thicker skin. Or is it an explicitly a man thing?

Feb 7, 2009
Pretty much right up there.^

Yeah, I'd like to name my kid (if it's a boy) Vault. Don't ask me why gender matters, but Vault doesn't seem like a girly name to me. It represents hidden treasures and the ability to literally leap any obstacle. Plus, it's kind of avant-garde.

Also, for a while, on my game-broadcasting channel on another site, Vault is part of my screen name, and that was my default nickname given by my fans, so it'd kind of add that sense of Jr. to his name without actually adding Jr. (I'm a lot like Indiana Jones in my opinions on the Junior moniker.)

Anyways, am I setting him up for a lifetime of torment, or am I giving an awesome, life-long gift? What do you think, Escapists?

(Note: I don't really consider this politics, but if any mods believe that it is, please, feel free to move it to that forum. ^_^)

EDIT: I mean as a middle name, not a single name like Madonna or Jesus. So, he can pick which he goes by, Vault, or whatever first name I give him.

EDIT 2: Oh well, I've learned what I wanted to... he'll have to put up with ignorance... big shocker. That'll happen regardless, as the world seems split about even with heartless d-bags and people that realize 'A rose by any other name" etc.

I've decided I'm going for it.

His name will be (firstname) Vault (lastname).

Thanks to all those that were constructive with their criticism without resorting to name calling or blind hatred, and those who supported this unique name.

EDIT 3 (REALLY?): My wife is cool with it.

EDIT 4 (REALLY??!??!): Children... ALL children, will be made fun of. ALL OF THEM.

Their names being 'normal' is not a guarantee against bullying. As far as targeting him a bit easier, good. Get tough skin. Learn to be witty in your defense. Soon, it will turn from detriment to bonus, as a conversation starter, or an aid for witty repartee.

Thus, I do not find the 'advice' that 'they'll be made fun of' a valid argument against it.
Why on earth did you not make it clear that you intended this to be a middle name to begin with?

I personally do not think Vault would make a very good middle name. I mean, there are so many better actual names in the Fallout games. You could name him Fawkes, Allistair, Boone. You could name him Pip. Then, you can give him the nickname "Pip-boy" while he still has a relatively normal middle name. Hell, you could name him Ceasar. Just spell it Kaisar so that people know to pronounce it that way if you want to do something "avant-garde." I'm just saying, when you look at the all the other options for names, Vault comes across to me as very dull and uncreative. Also, do you really think that because you once had a username on a website that had vault in it gives young Vault the same status as being named after his father?

Another thought to consider, how do you know your son will want to have "geek-cred?" He may turn out to be nothing like you. He may not appreciate a "geek" name like you do.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Whats his surname?

It makes all the difference. Vault McCoolname sounds like some kinda badass soldier. But if his surname is not cool...

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
liveslowdiefast said:
http://www.cracked.com/article/195_7-things-good-parents-do-that-screw-up-kids-life/ first thing on list. please don't. its not fair on your kid.
Thanks, but I read Cracked often, and I'm aware it's a website that focuses on comedy and having random people write articles for them.[/quote]

True it is a comedy website but they always have sources for these things and i probably should have linked directly to that. so heres their source, from a 'ligitamate' news site http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2595831/Odd-names-turn-boys-bad

from their fourm post in writing articals
http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/27011/new-here-read-this.

"4. You need sources! Even though Cracked is full of boner jokes, we make sure what we're saying is actually true. So obviously if your list relies on surprising your reader with new information ("McDonalds hamburgers contain meat from kidnapped hobos") we need a source backing it up. Not a bullshit source (ie, an email forward, or a blog written by some random crazy person) but some kind of actual mainstream news site or science site or somebody else who has actual credibility. Common sense, really.

When you cite a source, all you have to do is give us a link to the source, and copy and paste the relevant part that backs up your point (so we know you didn't just misread it). Again, it's not terribly complicated. "

But like i said i stand by the fact that kids will pick up on anything and attack attack attack. and that can cause deep damage, hell my second name is cochrane, i had more than a few occasions when that name was used against me in a cruel way all though school. its not worth it, when it could result in pain for you child, do you really want to put them in the line of fire before their even born, give em a chance. But you've already made your mind up.

Feb 7, 2009
jedizero said:
If he goes to an entire school that gets the reference and thinks it's nerdy... I'd be very confused. How can you know about Fallout and not think that it's a totally k-rad name?
Alright, let me put it this way.

You are naming your son an in-joke.

I'm going to let that sink in for a moment.

What if you were naming your son 'Sue', in the vein of the old Johnny Cash song 'A boy named Sue'? How can you not know about Johnny Cash and not think that is the best name ever? Because the kids at his school aren't going to give a crap about *why* he was named that. They are just going to care that his name is Sue.

However long in the future it is, when your son is in school, how do you know the kids there will even *know* what Fallout is? Its not like we have it in our classrooms.

"Hey kids, there was once this older game called Fallout, and everybody lived in Vaults!" "Oooh, so *That's* why mister 'Pole Vault' is called Vault."
"That's right kids!"
"That's stupid. Hey! 'Pole Vault'! Jump for our amusement!" "Hey, maybe if you jump while holding him, you can go over the fence!"

And once again. You are naming your son, your offspring, which you are supposed to love and care for, after an in-joke between you and your friends.

Though I'm sure your son would love telling this story to his therapy worker.
I see what you mean, but like someone else said, these 'wacky' names are becoming more and more mainstream. Plus, it's not really an in-joke, per-se. Like I said, it's a nickname of mine, and I found it to be very BA.

Also, I'm not naming him Pole Vault or any other silly combo, like I mentioned earlier. Just Regularname Vault McSurname. He doesn't have to go by it in school, but can later on if he changes his mind and maybe finds a love of retro gaming.... since I will be shoving it in his face often. "Hey, son, let's go play some Mario Party! No? Oh, well I guess you don't want a REAL birthday party, huh? Shame."

kman123 said:
Why don't you call your son Cazador? *fallout reference*

I don't think your kid would appreciate such a...idiotic name, to be honest.
Ok, Cazador is awesome and sounds exotic. Don't give me more ideas.
:p
No offense, but I enjoy gaming from time to time, and I would hate having a father who forced me to game. You need to let your son develope into his own person. Don't live vicariously through him. Those people make for the worst parents.