Would you buy a Walkman that functions like a modern music player but looks like the TPS-L2?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Due to a certain movie, I've noticed a lot of people seem to want to get their hands on an old TPS-L2 lately. Now I understand wanting something cool from the past, but despite how many where made there's a large lack of supply in them (and that's before taking into account how many of them actually work). So here's the thing: is Sony where to make a Walkman that functioned like a modern music player, but looked just like an old TPS-L2, would you get it?

I sure would, I've been meaning to get a music player and that would be a much more appealing choice for me then an Ipod and whatever it is Microsoft makes. Sony, why are you not doing this already? I know you don't make Walkmans anymore, but still....

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
Well, I'd be torn. I use my Phone as an MP3 player. And when I'm not, I use my 3DS. And if I needed to, I could always boot ye olde PSP back up.

Considering the movie though, I'd be tempted to get one because I'm silly like that.

BUT I'd be fine with one that plays Cassettes though, since I still own a bunch of those anyways and like to still listen to them.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Chaos James said:
BUT I'd be fine with one that plays Cassettes though, since I still own a bunch of those anyways and like to still listen to them.
Honestly, with how big the thing is it probably wouldn't be that hard to make it be able to play cassettes and work as a modern player. Hell, I think I remember someone modifying a vintage one to do just that a few years back.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
My more fashionable hipster friends would love it. Nothing like working to spend money ironically I guess.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
No.

I have my phone and if I bothered getting a Bluetooth earpiece my watch as well.

The concept of a MP3 player with a cassette player attached might be good idea for those niche/hipsters/music aficionados, but the hype generated by that 'certain movie' will eventually die.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Trick question, I own several classic Walkmen, including an old TPS-L2 that I regularly use to listen to a box full of Phish tapes I bought off an old hippie a few years back.

I am not joking.

Besides, I very rarely use any kind of MP3-type music player in my day to day life, so I would have very little use for such a thing, just seems like it would be impractical.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Nah, I'd go with the WM-1, which was the third Walkman model (after the TPS-L2 and the WM-2). Unlike the earlier models, the WM-1 had little bars on each side of the top face so you could string a cord through them and wear the unit around your neck. It came with the cord, which was the same silver color as the body. If you wanted to wear it on a pocket, it also had the clip on the back just like the earlier models.

I spent my entire childhood with a WM-1 dangling from my neck. I'm wearing it in at least half of the pictures taken of me as a kid. :D

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
How about an iphone case designed to look like a walkman that clips to your belt and lets you put in your phone in it like a cassette?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Nope. It's huge, i have no desire to listen to casette tapes and even if it did play mp3 then there is no purpose of it being so darn huge, i would rather keep using my phone with 400+ songs, spotify, soundcloud and thousands of radio stations from around the world.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
No, the great thing about modern music players is that they are tiny, they hold a huge number of songs and they are so small.

The problem with making a retro looking player designed to play modern MP3 files hits a few user and design problems.

1). The player would be huge, not an issue for just carrying but what about connecting to your in car media player, or your PC or using it while running. Then you have the issue that with it just containing a circuit board with some memory attached it wouldn't feel right, no heavy mechanical mechanism inside so it would feel 'off'

2). How retro do you want it, no way you could navigate a database of thousands of songs with the three or so buttons that the original design had, and if they integrate a screen and some more buttons in to it what's the point it isn't really retro now is it?

A lot of modern tech has moved in the wrong directions but mobile music is one of the few techs that I highly approve of, being able to carry my entire music collection on a single device the size of a USB stick is great and while I can understand why some people prefer the old music tech, vinyl and tape vs MP3 I couldn't understand sticking modern tech in to something so bulky.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Nah, too impractical due to the size. Plus I know from experience those earcushions tend not to last. On top of that I just don't feel they're very interesting. Volkswagen beetles, world war 3 propaganda posters, etc. to me have this iconic quality to them. But that walkman? No more than my old CRT screen.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'd like a way to fashion my iPod into looking like an old player like that. Maybe one that's not so big, but... Maybe putting my nano into a cassette tape and cutting out part to allow such a design to work with the screen. I dunno, I like the look of old stuff, but new functionality trumps it. Wish I had the stuff to do modding...