Would you date a girl/guy that didn't like video games?

Everin

Apr 15, 2009
Now, I'm assuming you like video games 'cause youre on the Escapist, but it doesn't matter if you don't. The question is this: would you date someone that didn't like video games, even if you liked them for other reasons, you come home and put on a video game and they say "I don't like those". Would you re-evaluate the relationship, or would you not mind? Assuming you love this girl/guy.
And like I always do, I'll answer too. I would stay in the relationship, cause there's going to be a few things we don't like about each other's lives, little things, and gaming isn't a massive aspect of my life so I wouldn't mind if she didn't like them. The girlfriend I have now likes video games, but not as much as I do so we only play a little, not stacks.
But what about you?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I already am.

But what kind of person would re-evaluate their relationship based on that anyway? It's just videogames.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Lol? Why would I base my preference of mates on one single trait? Why would anyone?

Don't be silly.

(And If I were, It would be "Pirates or Ninjas?" and if she said "Pirates" and say "GTFO")

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Depends how againt it she is. If she understands I enjoy them and I understand she does not, then it might work. However, if she demands that I stop because she does not like me playing them, then that ***** has to go.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I don't see why not. I wouldn't expect someone to love everything that I love. Hell, I would probably try to see if I could nudge them into gaming and if not I would expect them to understand that gaming is a hobby and relaxation tool to me, just like I would respect whatever hobby they partake in if I wasn't particularly fond of it.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I've had an ex who didn't play but was oblivious to my playing and that worked out fine, we shared other interests like partying etc so we did things together that we liked, was fine gaming wise.

A different ex hated them but tolerated my playing them. I tended to play while she was at work though, and I worked shifts so I'd often play for about 3 hours on weekdays in between her finishing/starting and me needing to leave or whatever so it didn't really bother me.

But my current partner is a gamer too, we have different tastes and play styles but we both play and I think it's a million times better. But that could just be because I am generally a lot happier about everything. I would still be in this relationship regardless but I'll admit that it's nice to have a partner who appreciates and understands your hobbies.

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
Who cares if she doesn't like them? Just so long as she doesn't actively prevent me from playing them. All my girlfriends have had at least one hobby I didn't care for personally, and vice versa. If that's the clincher in ending a relationship, it was pretty doomed anyway.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Kind of redundant, I can't really imagine that anyone's going to come on this thread and say 'No fucking way man, if they don't like games it's over.' Or something to that effect.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
If she doesn't like them, then that's not an issue. If she tries telling me I should never play them because she doesn't like them, then that's another matter entirely, and that would go for any of my interests.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Yes, love is about compromise. Assuming they don't hate on them irrationally; in which case it goes TOO FAR.

Everin

Apr 15, 2009
omniscientostrich said:
Kind of redundant, I can't really imagine that anyone's going to come on this thread and say 'No fucking way man, if they don't like games it's over.' Or something to that effect.
You'd be surprised how many people were like that in another thread about relationships and little things in it. Luckily everyone seems positive here :)

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
It is a huge hobby of mine and my girlfriend would ideally share my hobbies.

It's why sporty people ted to date other sporty people, something to enjoy together and chat about

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Everin said:
omniscientostrich said:
You'd be surprised how many people were like that in another thread about relationships and little things in it. Luckily everyone seems positive here :)
O rly? I suppose some people have pretty fucked up priorities, I've actually yet to date someone who does like games. I mean I love them and everything but I've got other interests, I'm not that one-dimensional.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
I can't see any reason that them not liking games would affect our relationship... unless they were the clingey type that wont let me have any time alone, in which case I wouldn't be going out with them regardless if they like games or not.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Depends if she is passive about video games, so she doesn't like them but doesn't mind me playing them, or whether she is the sort of person brainwashed by the media thinking 'Games cause murder and rape etc!', one I could get past one would mean a straight up no.

Kraj

Jan 21, 2008
Maybe. I don't like going to the mall, I have yet to like a girl who got broke up with me over it.

I only pass someone up if they are missing one of my core requirements. But those are usually character based and after that physically based.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
'Not like' as in "I hate that shit, stop playing or I'm leaving you!"
Or as in "Meh, I'm not interested in video games. Play if you want to, so long as they don't take priority over me."?

If it's the latter, I'm okay with that.
[HEADING=2]I'm outta there.[/HEADING]​
http://images.memegenerator.net/Dumb-*****/File/203715/Dumb-*****.jpg​