Would you date a girl/guy that didn't like video games?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well of course. It's just one of my passtimes, I wouldn't expect to share all of the same hobbies with them. If they were properly crazy about hating games (Jack Thompson style) then maybe, because that would mean that they were a bit of nutjob.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
My ex girlfriend didn't so much hate video games, she just hated me playing on video games. I wouldn't have minded if I was actually playing them when she was at my place but I never did. Bitches be crazy.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
as long as he respects that I like to play them, and isnt like "you need to grow up!" "seriously dont you ahve a life!" "omg your being so antisocial" and even then
it would have to be taken to extreme levels

I have a feeling that anyone I end up dating is going to into them anyway

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Everin said:
Now, I'm assuming you like video games 'cause youre on the Escapist, but it doesn't matter if you don't. The question is this: would you date someone that didn't like video games, even if you liked them for other reasons, you come home and put on a video game and they say "I don't like those". Would you re-evaluate the relationship, or would you not mind? Assuming you love this girl/guy.
And like I always do, I'll answer too. I would stay in the relationship, cause there's going to be a few things we don't like about each other's lives, little things, and gaming isn't a massive aspect of my life so I wouldn't mind if she didn't like them. The girlfriend I have now likes video games, but not as much as I do so we only play a little, not stacks.
But what about you?
well, yes, obviously i would, simply disliking a playtoy i have is no reason to dump someone, that would be patheitc in my view. (OPINION). besides are you saying you would constantly love everything about them? you'll hate their parents, or their cat, or whatever, live with it.

to be honest the only reason i think what you were saying would apply was if you were the sort of person to have their gf over and then just ignore them and play CoD, then wonder why they get mad.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
The guy I'm dating now finds my gaming habits cute, but he's not interested himself. As long as the person in question wouldn't ***** about me playing, then I wouldn't mind. Of course, that'd mean that I wouldn't play games when we were hanging out, or bother them to try it. To each his own, respect in relationships works both ways.

Mar 16, 2011
Now I don't date, but if for the sake of argument I did, I would. It's not like I'm likely to play video games while I'm spending time with my date. What I do on my free time is my own goddamn business. And if we were to move in together, they'd have to be OK with me doing whatever I want.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Only if they're tolerant of my hobby,and understood that I need my daily dose of game. Furthermore,they should be tolerant of my use of video games as catharsis.

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
No, because they are a subhuman waste of flesh that deserves extermination and no second chances.

SwiftBlade18

May 18, 2009
Of course I would...I mean its a bonus if they like them, but I wouldnt not date someone just because they didnt share one of my interests.

Its just like Im a huge Lord of the Rings nerd when it comes down to it...I could even handle dating a girl who didn't like it - so long as they dont think Harry Potter is better cos thats just blasphemy

DanDanikov

Dec 28, 2008
Gaming's a big part of my life, so yes, I'd want there to be some common appreciation of it. Nothing is worse in a relationship than having contempt for the other person, whether it's their habits or their hobbies.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Gaming is a big part of my life and I just wouldn't feel right not being able to share that. My preference would be to date a girl who is also a gamer.

Having said that, relationships are about compromise. It isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well sofar I haven't met a girl that would really like games so it's simply a case of separate hobbies, there will always be something the other doesn't like and there is no point getting your panties in a bunch over it, you do your thing and they do their own and some things you can do together (gigity).

But there always those that think their way is the only right one, those just need to go.

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
Yes if they don't care if I play video games.
No if they say "If you play video games, we're through!"
Response: Door's over there.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
I would stay in the relationship, no problem, games aren't such a major part of my life now as they used to be.

If she said she didn't want me playing heavy metal, OOOOOOOOOOOOH YOU'RE IN FOR A KICK IN THE BALLS/OVARIES!

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
ParanoidEngineer said:
Yes if they don't care if I play video games.
No if they say "If you play video games, we're through!"
Response: Door's over there.
Yeah, basically this. Every relationship has things one person enjoys the other person does not.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I might try, but it most likely wouldn't work out. Video games are a big part of my life and if my hypothetical partner wasn't interested in them, we wouldn't have a whole lot to talk about or do together.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Sarge034 said:
Depends how againt it she is. If she understands I enjoy them and I understand she does not, then it might work. However, if she demands that I stop because she does not like me playing them, then that ***** has to go.
You freakin' ninja! That's my exact sentiment.