Would you date a girl/guy that didn't like video games?

DreadfulSorry

Feb 3, 2009
Personally I've never really run into this problem; all the guys I've ever dated were big into video games, which is one of the reasons we became friends in the first place. I don't think I would reconsider a relationship just because of that, however if we don't have much else in common, then I probably wouldn't be dating them in the first place. I'd say video games are in my top 5 list of interests/hobbies, and normally I'm not attracted to another person unless we share a lot of the same interests, so I guess what I'm trying to say is not liking video games in itself isn't a deal-breaker for me, but we'd have to have other things in common for me to stay interested.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Personally, I'd prefer to go out with someone who either doesn't like computer games or just plays them very casually as it means we each have something that we can do without worrying that the other would feel left out.

Declaro

Sep 1, 2010
Assuming by 'don't like' you mean 'tolerates but doesn't play him/herself', then yes. If by dislike you mean 'complains whenever I turn on a game and talks about how they make people mass murderers', then no. That would irritate the hell outta me, no matter what the hobby was.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Well, it depends. There are many varying shades of dislike out there. If it was just a moderate indifference, I would see no problem with going with them. If, on the other hand, they were to flip out over me pulling out a copy of fire emblem, I would most likely see it as a serious control issue, and leave the relation. It all depends.

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
I've never bonded with other people (either gender) over a single issue. What's one area of discord when there're plenty of other areas of consensus?

Rough Sausage

May 19, 2010
Of course I would. It seems strange to me that someone wouldn't want to be with someone just because they didn't share a hobby. Another example "Would you date someone who didn't like football?", obviously a lot more guys like football than girls, so if the answer was no, we'd have a lot of single football fans.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Sure, but one must keep in mind that common interests are important in a relationship, vital even.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I would stay with her, but, as many said, as long as she respected my right to play them. Because if I was demanded to not play video games, that's a big warning sign right there. That's where video games wouldn't be the only thing she would want to take control of in your life.

I enjoy video games, and while yes, I would like to marry someone whom in co-op we wouldn't need to talk to know what the other would do, I know that not everyone does, and if I care about someone, it's not because they like video games. It's because they're special to me, make me happy, and care about me enough to make me happy. If someone I was in a relationship didn't care enough about me to let me do what I enjoy, then they'd not be the right one for me

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
TimeLord said:
Yes, but only if they allowed me some time to get my fix!
Well, this. I wouldn't mind dating someone who doesn't like videogames, as long as they'd understand it's a hobby of mine and don't demonize it. If they wanted me to throw out my games and consoles I might reconsider.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
Ren3004 said:
TimeLord said:
Yes, but only if they allowed me some time to get my fix!
Well, this. I wouldn't mind dating someone who doesn't like videogames, as long as they'd understand it's a hobby of mine and don't demonize it. If they wanted me to throw out my games and consoles I might reconsider.
Haha that reminds me, I had a girlfriend who would be cool watching me play CoD or whatever but World of Warcraft is where she drew the line for some reason. She was like you don't play World of Warcraft do you? I was like, uhh no that game is totally for losers...*cough* (Actually at the time I wasn't playing but I had in the past)

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Probably not.. I've had a few gfs that didnt like my hobby so I dumped them. I'm not giving up my favorite past time for some fickle person whom I would probably grow to hate anyway :p

I've been married to a woman who liked MMOs almost as much as I do, but she was awful at them. Thats not why we're no longer together but ... yeah...

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Well it really depends on their level of hate, is it mild hate where they're like oh I don't like that, or major hate where they forbid you to play them because they hate them so much? If it's mild then of course I'd stay with them like someone said above on the first page every couple has somethings they don't agree on.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Most of the time I have dated girls that don't like videogames... Still most played from time to time.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
As long as they did not stand between me and my Fable! But if they did... I'd probably just sell everything and lose myself in Marvel comics, just to spite them.