Would you kill your friend to save 10 other people

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
Ooh ooh. Can the 10 people die in an explosion? That way, me and my friend can roast some marshmallows, I don't have to see the dead bodies, and he doesn't have to die!

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
It depends on the pretense. The way you've described it it's as if my friend is a terrorist and I'm an agent sent to take it down. In that case my priorities may change. But on the whole, no, I wouldn't kill my friend, unless he was some unrepentant psychopath as you just described.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
LordCuthberton said:
More threads about killing people? Jeeze the forums get weird this time of year.
Aren't they also weird in March?
And the start of Spring?
And during college finals?

Is it ever normal?

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
brandon237 said:
It isn't my ego, I actually said that I am a selfish and weak bastard who gets far too attached to my friends. I am weak as I could never pull the trigger. I am selfish as I could never make myself lose a friend. Besides, I know the families of my friends, I would KNOW the suffering I wrought, especially on myself. I wouldn't even know if it had happened if it were 10 people I don't know.

Have you ever had a good friend? I mean a really good friend? It doesn't sound like it.
Why does everything rotate around you? Your friends. Your social circle. Your happiness. You are willing to break the hearts of so many because of your own self-centred feelings.

Yes, you wouldn't experience the suffering the deaths of those 10 people would cause, but does that mean it doesn't exist or that it's insignificant? Everyone have people they cherish and love, your friend does not deserve to live when 10 others die only because you hold the switch.

Why does everyone have the moral standards of a 3 year old?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Fusionxl said:
brandon237 said:
It isn't my ego, I actually said that I am a selfish and weak bastard who gets far too attached to my friends. I am weak as I could never pull the trigger. I am selfish as I could never make myself lose a friend. Besides, I know the families of my friends, I would KNOW the suffering I wrought, especially on myself. I wouldn't even know if it had happened if it were 10 people I don't know.

Have you ever had a good friend? I mean a really good friend? It doesn't sound like it.
Why does everything rotate around you? Your friends. Your social circle. Your happiness. You are willing to break the hearts of so many because of your own self-centred feelings.

Yes, you wouldn't experience the suffering the deaths of those 10 people would cause, but does that mean it doesn't exist or that it's insignificant? Everyone have people they cherish and love, your friend does not deserve to live when 10 others die only because you hold the switch.

Why does everyone have the moral standards of a 3 year old?
I don't know those 10 people, I would have less psychological scarring from letting them die. I could never, ever, ever pull the trigger on my friend. I would sooner turn it on myself.

These are 10 random people. 10 people die every second. It doesn't make a difference to me. I have preservation instinct and I am weak and selfish, I have said so many times. Why does it bother you?

No-one could pin the 10 deaths on me either, that wouldn't happen with the friend. I have also gotten to know my friends, I will know what I am killing.

I would happily trade the unknown evil for the known one.

The bottom line is that I care about my friends. A lot. This is also my decision, I am not going to be objective. Would you honestly be able to murder your best friend at point-blanc?
If so I think you need to examine your morals a bit.

Oh, and I still break many hearts by killing my friend, hearts that will hate me and that I will know are in pain, who will visit me in prison and ask why I did it. And I would lie, because if I told the truth the ten die anyway. My friend lives. For 1 other person or for 1 hundred thousand, my answer is the same.

Helimocopter

Oct 5, 2009
throughout history, friends are basically people you can trust not to try and kill you.
strangers could fuck you up in the future

bladeleaper

Jan 6, 2010
From the way this question is displayed, whatever choice i'd make, no one would know i did it because i can't tell them i did it, so if i chose to save my friend there wouldn't be much of a downside because that friend wouldn't know that ten were dead because i chose them, so it really just comes down to whether i can cope with ten people being dead as a result of my choice,if i was required to tell the friend that i had chosen them after i did it then that would be different, because had i told my friend that i chose them over ten people then they probably wouldn't want to talk to me anymore.

Elephant Walker19

Jul 5, 2010
yes the burden of one dead friend is more easy to handle then the burden of ten dead people i don't know...but if i'm going to jail after the murder no.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
No. She's my best friend for a reason. I'm sorry, they may have lives, but I'm holding the gun, and I can't do it. I'd rather shoot myself in the balls and then in the head.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
mraustindude19 said:
yes the burden of one dead friend is more easy to handle then the burden of ten dead people i don't know...but if i'm going to jail after the murder no.
The burden of the deaths are arguable but you would also have the psychological trauma of actually having shot your friend and seeing them die. That is harsh, how you could take that burden I don't know.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
I'd let the 10 people die, no question. Why? To quote Erich Maria Remarque: "The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is just a statistic."

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
No but I would kill ten people to save my friend, people I don't know are irrelvent to my personal world.

EDIT:
Lionsfan said:
Gonna save my friend. Especially since I've known him since I was 4 (I'm 18 now), if the ten people really are random how does it concern me at all?
exactly this down to the age and everything. I'm not some moral being or pyshcopath who has the right to decide who lives and dies.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Adecristo said:
Maybe this question was asked before, but I didn't see such topic; so:

Imagine that you were sent on a mission. You have 24 hours to kill your best friend while talking with him/her, by shooting him/her in his/her chest. He/she would know you did that, and wouldn't know, why. (You can't tell him/her about that)

If you don't do that, 10 innocent people you don't know will die (for example, a small air plane will be blown up).

No matter what you chose, you can't ever tell anyone about what you've done and why, or both 10 innocent people and your best friend will be killed.

What would you choose: Let your friend live, and have the burden of killing 10 innocent people you didn't even know, or kill your friend and save 10 other lives, who don't know about that and won't even thank you for that?
Any important people in the 10 that might die?

Which of my friends(Chris, Brian, Rhys, Hunter, Daniel, Jamal, Cynryc)?

And how much time do I have?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
armageddon74400 said:
I'd let the 10 people die, no question. Why? To quote Erich Maria Remarque: "The death of one is a tragedy, the death of a million is just a statistic."
I think you are quoting the wrong person there.