Would you like a proper game of thrones game?

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
I think that a GoT Game was released some time ago but wasn't good apparently, i just started watching the series and WOW its freaking awesome, i just finished season 1 so no spoilers please ( just in case ) Anyways, would you like a properly done GoT game, not necessarily following the story, but in the setting or well whatever you'd like, I'd like one skyrim style but with better combat, 3rd person and the same continents to explore, open world of course, and that you could be from a house, or join the night's watch, and that you could explore the north of the wall, and if there is some kind of war, siege weapons, and all that with a proper destruction and physics engine, and dragons of course.

So what would you like for a GoT game?

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
well that depends, would you like to? you can do whatever you want, that includes f*cking whatever you want, AND CHILDREN WILL BE KILLABLE

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
I'm a huge GoT fan, but I can live without a(nother) Game of Thrones game.

The way I see it, it would suffer from all the same problems that the Lord of the Rings games have traditionally suffered from. Namely that all the important stuff has already been done by the characters in the books. So either A) You end up following the story from the book, in which case we already know whats going to happen or B) You focus on your own made up characters and try to persuade us that its totally as important as the main story line. Then your story ends up spending all its time trying to work in cameos from all the major characters.

It also has the problem that magic is relatively rare in Westeros, so you couldn't have the traditional RPG wizard flinging fireballs and healing spells without seeing to contradict the feel of the story. (LotR suffered from this, in the sense that it was established in the books that there were only three wizards in middle earth, two of which were well accounted for during the War of the Ring)

Westeros is also too big to be able to map completely. You'd end up with just key locations like the Wall and Winterfell, rather than a Skyrim-like open world, which I generally prefer. Also you'd be somewhat limited in what monsters you had to fight (Giants, White Walkers and Wargs mainly, all north of the Wall), you wouldn't even be able to kill a dragon with GRRM's approval.

What I'm saying is there are potentially a lot of problems with making a GoT games that make game design more tricky. Rather that have one based in the GoT world, I'd rather see fantasy RPG makes learn from GRRM's writing and have them make their own stories and worlds with original characters as well written and fantasy worlds as authentic feeling as the one that Martin made, instead of trying to make his ideas fit into a video game.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I like ASOIAF but since the actual world setting isn't the reason why and it doesn't have any quirk that would make a nice game play mechanic I don't particularly want a game of it. You could have a game with ASOIAF style plot without using that setting.

Off topic but this reminded me of it: I wonder how that mistborn game is coming along...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
How would a "proper Game of Thrones game" differ from any other medieval fantasy game?

I mean, I've nothing against the idea. I'm interested to see what comes of that Telltale thing that's been mentioned (although my interest has everything to with Telltale's involvment and almost nothing to do with the GoT name). But I don't really see what the setting has in particular to offer gaming.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 2, 2010
LaoJim said:
I'm a huge GoT fan, but I can live without a(nother) Game of Thrones game.

The way I see it, it would suffer from all the same problems that the Lord of the Rings games have traditionally suffered from. Namely that all the important stuff has already been done by the characters in the books. So either A) You end up following the story from the book, in which case we already know whats going to happen or B) You focus on your own made up characters and try to persuade us that its totally as important as the main story line. Then your story ends up spending all its time trying to work in cameos from all the major characters.

It also has the problem that magic is relatively rare in Westeros, so you couldn't have the traditional RPG wizard flinging fireballs and healing spells without seeing to contradict the feel of the story. (LotR suffered from this, in the sense that it was established in the books that there were only three wizards in middle earth, two of which were well accounted for during the War of the Ring)

Westeros is also too big to be able to map completely. You'd end up with just key locations like the Wall and Winterfell, rather than a Skyrim-like open world, which I generally prefer. Also you'd be somewhat limited in what monsters you had to fight (Giants, White Walkers and Wargs mainly, all north of the Wall), you wouldn't even be able to kill a dragon with GRRM's approval.

What I'm saying is there are potentially a lot of problems with making a GoT games that make game design more tricky. Rather that have one based in the GoT world, I'd rather see fantasy RPG makes learn from GRRM's writing and have them make their own stories and worlds with original characters as well written and fantasy worlds as authentic feeling as the one that Martin made, instead of trying to make his ideas fit into a video game.
Those are all good points that would make a GoT set in the current timeline problematic, but I could see those being circumvented quite neatly by perhaps setting the game a few hundred years before the events in ASOIAF, when dragons were still kicking about and magic was more prevalent (I think this was the case at least, it's been a while since I read the books and my memory's rather rusty). That way you can have an original storyline where your character is actually key to big events instead of it feeling forced, have monsters to fight and possibly even magic.

Making Westeros a Skyrim-like open world could be problematic, though, so you'd either have to shrink it or just have the game take place in a chunk of it. Maybe in the North with the possibility of going over the wall as a sort of high-level area after your character's spent some time levelling up and getting good equipment in the opening parts of the game that are set to the south of the wall.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Frankly, I'd rather someone just fix A mod of Ice and Fire for Civ 5:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171827383

I mean if I wanted to conquer Westeros, I'd do it on that, but its broken as all hell.

As for re-enacting the books / show, Crusader Kings 2 has a mod that does just that, and frankly I think its the most accurate we'll ever get to the series within the gaming format.
I mean in that one you play as one of the dynasties, and can either make power grabs, plot to keep the timeline as accurate as possible or just try to survive, which is really all I ask from a Game of Thrones game.

Lastly, I don't believe a Skyrim-esque game of thrones game would really work. The world is just too vast and empty in spots to be accurately portrayed while remaining fun.
And while I could see an RPG working if set in the likes of OldTown or King's Landing (Or Qarth, for magic), I think no matter where its set, you'll have people disappointed.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
axillarypuma said:
I think that a GoT Game was released some time ago but wasn't good apparently, i just started watching the series and WOW its freaking awesome, i just finished season 1 so no spoilers please ( just in case ) Anyways, would you like a properly done GoT game, not necessarily following the story, but in the setting or well whatever you'd like, I'd like one skyrim style but with better combat, 3rd person and the same continents to explore, open world of course, and that you could be from a house, or join the night's watch, and that you could explore the north of the wall, and if there is some kind of war, siege weapons, and all that with a proper destruction and physics engine, and dragons of course.

As someone who both likes Game of Thrones and has completed the game in question, I can tell you it was a proper Game of Thrones game IMO.

The only problems it had was
1. It was made by an unknown Dev.
2. It was made to budget, so the graphics are not pretty (but that kind of works for Game of Thrones).
3. The combat is very much like Dragon Age (which allot of people don't like or find too hard).

The story and characters are very good. And it has all your standard RPG features including a dialogue wheel the choices of which do actually have an impact on the game (when you talk to important people anyway).

And of course the game has multiple endings and not one is a happy ending, there is an OK ending, a crappy ending and two different everybody dies endings.

But anyway I would of course like another one, sure.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Think about star wars games, the best ones don't retell the story from a differentp perspective, they tell a story all their own. Even ones that use the characters from the movies tend not to tell the same story, because that's a tie in and tie ins generally suck. I think the first Greyjoy rebellion would be interesting.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I've seen a couple of mods for Mount and Blade, Civ 5 and one of the Total War games that changes the game setting to Westeros (and sometimes Essos too) whihc work quite well.

Overall the setting is so well developed and the world so large and diverse that it suits strategy or Mount and Blade style game play, obviously it would differ very little from Medieval Total War 2 except it would need a far more complex alliance or honour system and also a little bit of fantasy here and there.

I don't think the game would suit RPG elements and as far as I know nobody's made a brilliant first person medieval combat game (except if it was Mount and Blade styled and the ending was open so you can change the course of the narrative making the game some kind of awesome simulator and prediction tool for how the series might end!)

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I would love to see a game that takes place during the Blackfyre Rebellion or the Dance of the Dragons, maybe even Robert's Rebellion. But I don't really want to see a game just rehash the same story we already have.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FrozenLaughs said:
Hmmmm that depends.... Would I have to f*** my sister at any point?
It's actually their version of a CD Key.

delta4062 said:
[But CK2 is all menus, that's a big part of why I don't want to try it.
Sounds like the perfect analogue to an epic fantasy novel, honestly.
WouldYouKindly said:
Think about star wars games, the best ones don't retell the story from a differentp perspective, they tell a story all their own. Even ones that use the characters from the movies tend not to tell the same story, because that's a tie in and tie ins generally suck. I think the first Greyjoy rebellion would be interesting.

It probably doesn't hurt that a lot of restrictions were placed on franchise games by George Lucas. If Martin did the same thing, it would create a ton of issues with the spin-off games and quite possibly make it difficult for a good one to come out. You might have noticed that most Star Wars games suck, and the ones people remember most fondly are a minority in pretty much every sense.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I absolutely adore ASOIAF, but the thing that makes it engaging is the characters, not the world itself. That being the case, I really struggle to imagine how a game version would work: a game following the story would be pointless if you'd already read the books and/or seen the show; anything else would likely just end up as another generic fantasy/medieval RPG with less magic and fewer monsters.

The only way I can think of to capture the essence of that makes the books great would be something like Crusader Kings 2, which someone has already pointed out has that covered in mod form already.

Basically, some things just aren't suited to being adapted as games, and in my opinion ASOIAF is one of them. I would love to be proved wrong, however.

mrgerry123

Aug 28, 2011
Do you know what I would love. A game of thrones total war style game. Everything is in place for it. Marriages, Diplomacy, Backstabbing and of course all those armies running round. Pick a faction and try to take control over westeros and essos in anyway you see fit. Also have robert's rebellion as dlc if you want

XSTALKERX

Mar 10, 2012
axillarypuma said:

You want a proper Game of Thrones? Well, There is none. But the closest thing I've found so far that does capture its essence in a game is the, A clash of kings mod for Mount and Blade Warband http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-clash-of-kings.

It's third person and first person, have a huge open world map and better combat. Seriously this mod is the closest thing to a Game of Thrones Games that's currently out there.