Would you play a game with a gay main charater?

purplepixie

Dec 22, 2009
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Aries_Split said:
Everyone could relate to his falling in love with Meryl and it was a massively important factor in his relationship with the Colonel.
Except for every gay man and straight female gamer (using the logic that if you don't share the attraction IRL you can't relate). Of which I would guess there are a fair few.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
I have made homosexual characters in games that allow me from time to time, since I don't avatar myself into the game I'm playing

I have made at least 2 lesbian characters and 1 "gay" character

They aren't me, they are my puppets and will remain to be so

purplepixie

Dec 22, 2009
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
purplepixie said:
Mario: how many times has he rescued the princess? At least a bajillion. How many times has he ended up getting some? Zero.

Of course it could also have something to do with him being a short fat middle-aged plumber, but let's not be ruling out any sensible possibilities here.

As for Link, have you SEEN his clothes? Darling, the boy is fabulous! He's practically a gay icon.
Both spend every game rescuing/helping the princess who is in some way helpless (alhtough I will accept that Zelda has reasons for not being able to go do stuff). In what way is that gay?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
It depends if the game looks good or not. The gender, race or sexuality of the character is not important to me.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Aries_Split said:
The responses confuse me.
Why not have a gay character just because?

Aren't all games having straight characters just because?

grimsprice said:
I would prefer if the main character was relatable to me... Just you know... that would be nice. Thats why there are no gay main characters. Because its not the majority of the audience.
Because its so fucking easy to relate to a video game characters.

*Blinks*

How did you get your job as a gun toting space marine cowboy in new york city working for the mob?
MGS1 Spoilers are in the following text.

To defend this position, making Solid Snake gay would have changed alot. Okay maybe not to slash fiction and rumors apart from compounding them, but if he HADNT hit on Mei Ling in MGS1 it just wouldn't have been the same for me. Snake is supposed to be a relatable main character, an every man that isn't so every man after all. He's one of the prime examples of where sexuality mattered some. Everyone could relate to his falling in love with Meryl and it was a massively important factor in his relationship with the Colonel.
Good point, because really, I could care less if Gordon Freeman was gay as his relation with Alyx was a little bit like "Damn ***** always has to put me in harm's way!!!", or "that zombine joke WAS NOT FUNNY!". Hell, for all you know, in his little world, he might have a thing or two for Barney. Never at one point I felt in Gordon's boots, but rather, the burning soul of his gravity gun!

But in story-driven games with a major focus on character development, like RPGs such as 'The Witcher', it would change a lot of how I play the game, if at all. I don't think I would hang around much with Geralt flirting with every male characters instead of the females one. But then again, that's the strength of RPGs, and praise to BioWare for actually caring about the gay community.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
purplepixie said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Aries_Split said:
Everyone could relate to his falling in love with Meryl and it was a massively important factor in his relationship with the Colonel.
Except for every gay man and straight female gamer (using the logic that if you don't share the attraction IRL you can't relate). Of which I would guess there are a fair few.
:p I was assuming straight women and gay men would relate, since I find myself able to relate to gay love despite my sexuality. Sorry, I really don't like my phrasing in that response as it is, I was just trying to point out that relationship was important. I suppose if he'd fallen in love with a male "co-star" that could have worked too, but would have removed some of what made him so easily relatable to the majority audience.

daconcon

Jun 10, 2009
I've noticed that pretty much everybody who says no is completely fine with "girl on girl action", which is just a double standard.

purplepixie

Dec 22, 2009
NezumiiroKitsune said:
:p I was assuming straight women and gay men would relate, since I find myself able to relate to gay love despite my sexuality. Sorry, I really don't like my phrasing in that response as it is, I was just trying to point out that relationship was important. I suppose if he'd fallen in love with a male "co-star" that could have worked too, but would have removed some of what made him so easily relatable to the majority audience.
That's the thing, you can relate to gay love despite being straight, which is how it should be. (kudos). Personally though, if you and I can manage this, why wouldn't the majority (assuming the majority are probably white, almost mostly male (given that MGS is a more 'blokey' game) and possibly straight)? Perhaps by making it more common place it wouldn't be so much of a problem, like having this forum for the discussion of the subject is causing people to think rather then just keep their own ideas seperate from others.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Noelveiga said:
sethzard said:
could I just ask when I said that. I said full on, I'm fine if it's implied, or even if we see some arse or whatever, I just have no particular desire to see it.
So you're only fine with sex scenes as long as you find them arousing.

Huh.

So if a girl happens to be ugly you would NOT want her to appear kissing or having sex with a guy. Because you have no particular desire to see a sex scene between Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin or whatever.

Or is seeing a sex or making out scene between Marcus and Dom more of a problem to you than the Meryl and Alec scene? Be honest there for a second.

Erm... no offense, Ms. Streep. You are definitely a very talented and I'm sure sexual woman with a healthy sex life that you're totally entitled to and it's okay for you to be female lead in romantic comedies.

Just saying.
no, stop misreading, when did I say any of that? I don't want to be aroused by games full stop, I said I don't want anything, I'm fine if it's implied bit in games i have no particular desire to see it, I don't want any full on sex from anyone in games, small bits is fine, but I have no desire to see every lurid detail of sex between two animated characters during a game, especially not if it's gratuitious

purplepixie

Dec 22, 2009
daconcon said:
I've noticed that pretty much everybody who says no is completely fine with "girl on girl action", which is just a double standard.

'cos gurl on gurl is HAWT obv! [/sarcasm]

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Aries_Split said:

grimsprice said:
I would prefer if the main character was relatable to me... Just you know... that would be nice. Thats why there are no gay main characters. Because its not the majority of the audience.

*Blinks*

How did you get your job as a gun toting space marine cowboy in new york city working for the mob?

To defend this position, making Solid Snake gay would have changed alot. Okay maybe not to slash fiction and rumors apart from compounding them, but if he HADNT hit on Mei Ling in MGS1 it just wouldn't have been the same for me. Snake is supposed to be a relatable main character, an every man that isn't so every man after all. He's one of the prime examples of where sexuality mattered some. Everyone could relate to his falling in love with Meryl and it was a massively important factor in his relationship with the Colonel.
So gay people don't fall in love now? :?

Darkrain11

May 14, 2009
Jadak said:
I did play Army of Two.

Anyways, it depends. Simply being gay wouldn't bother me, and if the gameplay was good I doubt I'd care, but if they made an effort to match the stereotypical flamboyant drama queen gay profile, it might irritate me too much to put up with.
Ah, good 'ol bashing Army of Two.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Aries_Split said:
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Aries_Split said:

grimsprice said:

*Blinks*

So gay people don't fall in love now? :?
I don't think he meant to say that because the heterosexual audience can relate to the relation between Snake and Meryl as well as Old Snake and Big Boss against let's say if it was a story about Vamp and Lady Luck's pops homosexual relationship.

spark117

Aug 13, 2008
Well, I would care, because the developer would make clear to the gamer that the main character is gay. which in itself i think is pretty homophobic since it would still be considered a special thing.
And I think we allow homophobia and racism, discrimination and that sort of thing as long as we consider somebody different than the rest. just like the first black president of America, people are making a huge deal about progression cause they have a black president, and in the future a gay president, a female president.
its still racism even if you approve of it, because you think of those people as different, while they really aren't

[/rant]