Would you stop your children playing violent video games?

RandomWords

Aug 16, 2010
Violence is fine as long as they are mature enough. If they tell me what game they are going to buy than its all good. However I might would restrict some of the online access, I don't exactly want my kid to hear all of the racist, immature things said online...it would probably scar him for life.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Harkonnen64 said:
Tdc2182 said:
I would say something along the lines of, "You're not 17 you little bastard, sucks to be you, don' it?"

And then give him a copy of Mario on the Wii.
Says the guy with the avatar of a baby smoking...
Oh SNAP!!

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I play violent video games all the time, and I never hurt people. (I am a cold-blooded serial killer of flies and spiders and such, but even then I try to kill them fast so they don't feel terrible, terrible damage pain very long) I assume I'll raise my kids in such a way that they'll be able to distinguish between reality and virtuality, and just because fictional characters pretend to kill fictional people in various forms of media doesn't mean it's okay in real life.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Ive been playing m rated games since I was 5 and Im fine, so I dont really have a problem with it. But Id definitely test the game out myself, just in case theres something that they shouldnt see or deal with at their age.

But every game that is lower than t Ill let them have it without a worry, cause I trust the esrb to be capable of rating games appropiately.

But Id make sure they know the difference between real and fake before I even let them play games. If they go on a slaughter itd be mine and their mothers fault not the games.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
No, I was playing violent video games before I was even old enough to understand them and I came out just fine. Its all about how you raise your kids.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
I would not stop my children from playing violent games. As long as they are mature enough to handle it they can play what they want. I will probably be playing those games with them.

vanillabeans320

Jun 24, 2009
i would be a hypocrite if i said he/she couldnt play a violent game. i played doom in 1st grade, and grew up with FPS after that, but it was balanced with consoles. still, i'd probably try and keep them out of their hands for a while. i'd probably allow something like GTA once they hit high school, or around there

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
If my kid can handle it, why not? I'd rather introduce them to violence under my supervision than have some other shmuck introduce it to them and try to brainwash them or something.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Well I'm not about to let a 7 year old play God of war but by age 14 or so they should be mature enough to handle most violent games. he'll have more of a problem getting the games away from me that me hassling him about playing them.

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
Alien vs Predator is actually understandable for not letting a kid play. The violence is excessive. It's not just killing people, but tearing them apart. My theory has always been that as long as the violence doesn't get gratuitous it's okay in my books. I'm all fine with some decapitation, dismemberment, and the occasional corpsplosion, but when it gets vivid with it is when it stops being okay... well at least for kids under 13. After that I don't give a damn.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
If I ever deign to release a spawn of mine onto the planet (which I won't, thankfully for all concerned), I'm going to do the complete opposite of general society and restrict all violent media from them for the first eighteen years of their life, video games included, but allow them complete unrestricted access of sexual content. I would consider it to be a social experiment.

Thoff09

Jun 12, 2010
As far as I'm concerned my children would be grounded enough in reality to know..... ITS A GAME!!!! I was playing san andreas when I was in junior high and I haven't stolen a semi truck, crashed it into a mall, and proceded to face rape every old lady in sight..... well maybe all but the last one. Either way I would maybe keep them from it until I decide their mature enough, NOT old enough, MATURE enough.

the wako kid

Mar 31, 2010
personally im american (dont even say fuck off you yank) and we have assholes like jack thomas running around and i can still buy m rated (17+)games at 15 years old because the store where i shop doesnt give a shit. i know that there isnt really gun with a chainsaw attached to it so i dont get the urge to cut em up when im playing gears of war. when my kids hands are big enough to hold a controller ill let him play t rated and select m games of my choosing(not grand theft auto obviously) and when hes around twelve if he proves normal ill play the m games with him and explain to him that niko bellic isnt really having relations with that woman.i think that the only thing that only ever hit me about video game violence was a story i read in the paper about how a kid killed his parents because they took away halo 3(which isnt violent anyway) so this lead me to realize that hes more likely to be violent if you oppress him than letting him do what he wants

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
My kid is four and I'm fairly relaxed about what he plays.
I wouldn't allow him to play a game with excessive swearing but violence all depends on the context.
He'll happily play a game like Mercenaries 2 or Just Cause 2 and more recently the fight maps for Batman: AA, but a game like Avs.P is a lot more visceral and, while I'm not doubting he'd enjoy playing with monsters, I do feel a line has to be drawn somewhere.
That said, his game time is limited to 30-45 mins at the end of the day as a reward, because it does have an effect on his behaviour if he's given it first thing in the morning.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
Im a father of two and my eldest son who is 7, has been gaming for 3 years. I can't tell him about the realism of a game, because he's quite bright and is quick himself to point out the flaws in games that try to be too real. "OMG dad his lips arnt even moving at the same time as the words" Now on the subject of violence, well..His favourite movie is Blade (the first one) His favourite games are MW1 & MW2 (single player modes only), and the games he's completed unaided by me are vast and violent. The medium doesn't matter to me, what matters to me is that he has the sense (and he does) to know that what he's playing and what he's watching is not real.

Kids that shoot up places because they've played a video game, listened to song lyrics, watched a gory movie - there's something wrong with these people, it's little to do with the outside stimuli and alot to do with their defective brain and a warped sense of reality.

So yes, my clever and grounded child is allowed to watch violent movies and play 18 rated games.

Stickwell

Aug 15, 2010
It depends on how I feel my child would react to violence.

If I felt my kid had the mental capabilities of dealing with video game violence, then yes, if not, then no.