Would you support a cure for homosexuality and transexualism?

Notere

Sep 11, 2008
Wraith said:
There is GREAT debate between certain groups on whether homosexuality could be the result of a complication during pregnancy, if it is just a natural occurrence or-- the most scrutinized of arguments-- it's a conscious choice. The same arguments have been applied when discussing transexuality and its effects on the person (though, most agree it is a complication during pregnancy).

Now with all this arguing going on, it seems to me no one is really asking a really big question. Let's say both homosexuality and transexuality were proven to be created through certain developments in the womb and let's say both of these could be cured with a needle injection given to the mother within the first few months of pregnancy.

Would you support this cure?

Would you accept a law your government made so that every woman who became pregnant would need to get this vaccination?

EDIT: Admittedly, I fucked up when I used "cure". I did not consider the implications it could have, which is a bad habit of mine. So please, if I offended you-- which by looking at the comments I obviously did-- I am sorry.

I wanted it to come across as a 'what if scientists discovered homo and transsexuality was caused through an abnormal change during pregnancy and could be stopped before the child was born?' type of scenario. I did not mean for it to imply that I think homosexuals and transsexuals should be "cured" of their "disease".
I would support this if you could reverse-engineer it to induce the state. Equality of choice.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Risingblade said:
Naw I see homosexuality as a semi-decent way to keep the population stable.
Actually families with homosexuals in them get more children on average than families without.
BloatedGuppy said:
Eh, I guess you could, but it would be like offering a "cure" for blue eyes or something.
Coincidently you can get blue eyes from laser surgey http://www.medicaldaily.com/brown-eyes-turn-blue-new-laser-procedure-may-permanently-change-eye-color-video-245514

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
would i support a cure for blue eyes given that the parent really didn't want a child with blue eyes... sure why not

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Homosexuality no. Transexuality, yes... kinda.

The way it seems to me (no doubt I'm wrong and plenty of people will tell me so) we already encourage the "curing" of transexuality through hormone replacement and surgery (which comes with inherent risks, as do all surgeries).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we need to fix people to think the way a man/woman should. I'm suggesting we cure both the individual and society of the belief that if you feel or act a certain way, then you must be male/female. If you feel like a woman, but have the body of a man, why can't you be a man who (based on current stereotypes and societies view on gender) feels, acts and in many ways is a woman.
I don't disagree with transexuality as such. I disagree with the need to surgically change outward appearance to reflect inner feelings. It doesn't require a cure as a disease, but rather a cure of a way of thinking and it needs to apply to everyone, not just transexuals.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Magog1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Can we haz a "cure" for stupid and religion too?

I never understood the rush and need to change people who think they are different, they will figure things out at their own pace and if they remain different then so what?
See that's just it.
Atheist really consider belief a mental defect.

Suppose it is.

If science in the same breath condemned belief and homo sexuality as mental defects you'd cherry pic and so would all others of your ilk.

I've been quietly waiting for someone to fall into that one ^^.

Seriously in the same breath I'm suppose to accept someone who scientifically as on the books as having a mental defect and said books were only changed because of popular opinion that had being gay removed. This is a fact.

That's the main thing. Atheist really only wanna deal with science as a means to get rid of religion. The minute, and I mean the exact minute science might suggest who their sleeping with isn't idea,
or they might have to start paying more for gas, watch lol those spocks toss logic right out the window.
Science dose not have a belief persay its more in faith of what can be quantified. It can not be quantified that Gay sex is bad so there is no cherry picking. One might could say that being gay is bad and come up with statistics and such to prove their arguments but I can prove how to lower crime and increase safety as well... Lets kill off all criminals even non violent ones and get rid of free will.

Now I will give you that belief in science is effectively the same as faith in religion, but one can be studied and reproduced much more easily and with better results, religion is very subjective and full of holes in comparison but even science is far from prefect as both are created by humans(tho God is beyond humanity and our view of it is as flawed as anything else).

Religion is dicey because you have value sets that ostracize reasonably normal people just because they do one thing a bit different than others. In the case of LGTB you have a setup where you have adultery mentioned nearly 4 times as much yet we can not kill adulterers like rodents. Since we can not then we should ignore gays and look to more of the context of what was said at the time it was said.(more a mix of anti prostitution and child sex than anti gay sex). Not to mention that the love of Christ is suppose to supersede the wrath of god. That we can not be damned to a place without god(hell) because Christ happened. Then again I see all religions having a piece of the Abrahamic god in them in some fashion and that the Abrahamic religions are nothing more but a melting pot of various pagan religions that have tried to boil things down some. I see so much doubt and hatred and not enough love and kindness its make you lose faith in humanity.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Transsexuals struggle with their disparate gender identity and often have to go to extreme physical and psychological extremes to remedy that later in life. From the use of HRT and surgery they do they best they can to "cure" the problem by aligning the physical gender with the psychological one. Being able to cure it for them before they have to go to those extremes seems like it'd be wonderful unless I'm missing something. I do wonder how it would be cured though. Are you giving them a truly female body or changing their gender identity?

As for a cure for homosexual. I don't know. It's a maladaptive trait (in that it inhibits the likelihood of successful reproduction), that's for sure, but maladaptive traits can also have their benefits. I could probably be convinced either way here. If I could pick the orientation of my child it'd be heterosexual every time. So perhaps that means I'm for a cure? This just seems like a step towards the ethics of eugenics that I'm not entirely comfortable going towards whereas transsexualism is an affliction on the individual where their gender identity doesn't synch up with their bodies. If I were ok with eugenics, the answer would be yes. I'm ok with Eungenics that wipe out diseases. The question is whether or not I consider homosexuality maladaptive enough to want changed? I want grand kids, I want my genes to be successfully passed on. I guess I'm ok with it. There you have it, the thought process. If the ability to reproduce were ultimately resolved for homosexuals, then I guess it wouldn't matter.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we need to fix people to think the way a man/woman should. I'm suggesting we cure both the individual and society of the belief that if you feel or act a certain way, then you must be male/female. If you feel like a woman, but have the body of a man, why can't you be a man who (based on current stereotypes and societies view on gender) feels, acts and in many ways is a woman.
I don't disagree with transexuality as such. I disagree with the need to surgically change outward appearance to reflect inner feelings. It doesn't require a cure as a disease, but rather a cure of a way of thinking and it needs to apply to everyone, not just transexuals.
I think you're describing a transgender person more than a trans-sexual. I'm not the most feminine of women, and it took me some time to accept that I can be a woman, just one who doesn't fit into the traditional roles.

But I have spoken to transsexuals, and while there are different cases, it's a feeling that something is wrong with your body, and telling them that they are okay with the way they are doesn't help.
That's actually one of the reasons why transsexuals and homosexuals often clash; the issues they face are different. For gays the problems they face come from the outside, for transsexuals from the inside.
If a gay person has issues because of their sexuality it's because of how the society treats them.
Even if the society doesn't have issues with a transsexual acting like the opposite sex, they'll still have problems.

I know a very unfeminine trans woman. She doesn't dress or act in a traditionally feminine way, but she had issues with her gender identity and body not matching, and she described starting the hormonal treatment as 'finally becoming sane'.

DeadRise17

Feb 23, 2013
Even if it was an abnormality (which it isn't. Over 400 species practice homosexuality) it shouldn't be changed. Changing a person's sexual preferences is no better than brainwashing.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Coming from a hetero cisgender male: hell no. A) We're not in danger of depopulation short of breaking Earth (or at least the biosphere) and B) there are more important issues to spend time researching "fixes" for (food supply, employment, energy, education, new season of Firefly, etc.). It's physically not a threat to humanity and whether it's "right" morally is a matter of opinion. People are the way they are because of subtle and complex influences from genetics and environmental factors. The issue of sexuality is no concern of mine except when trying to locate a hetero mate. Not picky as far as friends go.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
When I read the title I thought this was going to be a more interesting suggestion. No I wouldn't support any kind of mandatory degayening or anything like that.

I would however, if one was discovered, support a cure for homosexuality (or heterosexuality for that matter) as an optional treatment later on in life that you can get once you're of the legal age on consent. Sure those "BEIN' GAY IS A CHOICE" people would be right but those people are fucking homophobes anyways. It would be great to be able to choose what you're sexually attracted to.
I would tick the 'everyone' box. Fuck it, let's have a party.

Though it would definitely be something to do later in life, I'd hate to have that choice made for me...so I'm sure from that you can work out I'm pretty against it being done in the womb.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
If homosexuality was found to be the result of issues in the womb then I would not mind this, for want of a better word, "treatment" being made available to parents. Homosexuality serves no biological purpose, so I would be under the impression that it is the result of psychological or biological issues. If a mother wants this for her child then this is fine.

However, I'm completely against forcing it on parents, the idea sickens me. The idea that the government has the right to dictate what children are born like is monstrous. America had a terrible run in with eugenics at one point, and i'd prefer not to go back to that. I'ts like thinking that homosexuals need to be forcibly cured against their will, it's just wrong.

Ziodyne64

Jun 29, 2011
Absolutely not. Under no circumstances would I ever support a "cure" for homosexuality or transexualism. That's not a disease, it's called choice.

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
There is a cure for Gender Dysphoria (in my view)... it's called Sex Reassignment Surgery.

YES, it's NOt a cure all, but it certainly would help (at least me).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Magog1 said:
Kinda like how the Bill mar's of the world try to label every one with faith as simple minded
like George W Bush. What's the saying about shoes and feet?
To be fair, Bill Maher calls Bush stupid for many things that have nothing to do with religion.

And honestly, the guy acts like a moron. And he'd still be a moron without religion.

Yes, I know some atheists have come to the conclusion that a lack of faith somehow makes them smarter, but they fall into the same mental traps even if it's not religious in nature.

If you gave any atheist on the world a magic switch that could make religion disappear from the world he'd flip that f'r so fast your head would spin.
Having just spent a decent chunk of time defending a Muslim for her beliefs....

Yeah, I don't give a shit if religious exists. I may disagree, but that's the thing. You can believe what you want and I can believe what I want without us needing to destroy one another or "win." Belief in God? Fine.

What pisses me off are holy wars and religious excuses to persecute people they don't like. Believe what yuo want, but don't use it to justify harming or discriminating against others.

It sounds like you're using the argument that "I'm prejudiced, so everyone else is."

I hope that you some day learn that things are not always black and white. In fact, they rarely are.

Should the day come that atheists rise up and demand an end to religion I will stand with the theists, not because I believe but because I believe in the right to believe. Even if I think it's wrong.

mitchell271 said:
Cure implies there's something wrong and there isn't in the case of homosexuals and transsexuals. They are who they are and they aren't causing damage to themselves or anyone around them by choosing what gender they're attracted to or what gender they choose to identify as.
Transsexuals frequently damage themselves. Half attempt suicide. I'm not sure why people wouldn't want a cure. You've even had multiple transsexuals saying they'd like it to be wiped out.

Boris Goodenough said:
Coincidently you can get blue eyes from laser surgey http://www.medicaldaily.com/brown-eyes-turn-blue-new-laser-procedure-may-permanently-change-eye-color-video-245514
Sweet, does that mean I can know what it's like to be a bad man? To be a sad man?

Da da da daaaaaa?

Magog1 said:
See you proved my point,

I jumped the gun, with out waiting for you or someone else to post here and i got demonized. I didn't hear you deny the view point. I didn't hear you explain "well this is why I'm different from that."
Why should anyone have to? That's dishonest. He demonstrated why bringing up Bill Maher was pointless. There's no grounds to assume similarity in the first place, so there's no reason to explain otherwise.

He also did deny it. That post was a denial. Or, rather, a dismissal of carpet prejudice.

Master of the Skies said:
"People are demonizing me!"
"For what?"
"Because I said they hold positions they don't hold!"
That's a pretty common attitude amongst majorities, at least in America. Borderline professional victimisation.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Having a cure or a vaccination or really anything that prevents or changes something implies that the thing we are changing should be changed.

The proper approach to this shouldn't be, "What if there was a cure". The proper approach to this is: "What if everybody stopped thinking being gay is something that should be changed?"

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
This supposed "cure" would only stoke a fire that doesn't need more kindling. You'd have one side going "See?! See?! We told you, you queers! You're all sick! Get treated or stay out of all general social circles!" while the other would stress the fact that their taking the cure is a choice they alone can make.

Which, in this case, they'd be right to assume.

The problem is this would stoke the fire of a metric crapton of fundamentalist groups around the world and motivate people who seriously do not need to have their "I am validated and vindicated!" buttons pressed.