Would you throw yourself on a grenade?

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
nah the grenade is probably a dud... hopefully, but then again I would dive out the window in slow motion.

nomadic_chad

Feb 12, 2010
silentsentinel said:
Interesting... just so you know... about half of all Medal of Honor winners have won their awards for jumping on grenades to save their comrades... posthumously, of course.
I think the operative word there is "comrades". I seriously doubt that any of the "grenade jumpers" did so to save the lives of complete strangers to which they felt no connection. I say that not to denigrate their action, but to clarify the reasoning behind their actions as it would relate to the scenario given by the OP.

*On a side note, I couldn't find any site with an accurate statistic on the number of MOH awardees who earned it by jumping on grenades. If you look at the awards by which war they were earned in, I think "half" is being generous. Considering that 1,522 of roughly 3600 medals awarded were during the Civil War, none of which I could find were for "grenade jumping", would mean that nearly all of the rest would have to be for that reason in order to use the "about half" descriptor.

*A good reason that most recent MOH awardees earned theirs for "grenade jumping" could be due to the changes in combat and in combat tactics. Longer range weapons systems and tactics adapted to increase the survival of the individual soldier probably discourage hasty actions that, though courageous, are risky and likely to get soldiers killed unnecessarily when air support or specialized weapons systems can instead be employed to resolve the situation. Grenades have long been a random and highly dangerous aspect of the battlefield, and as such, still remain a major threat that an individual can deal with individually in a courageous manner.

Zaksav91

Oct 16, 2009
I have no clue. I would have to be in that situation (god forbid that will ever happen) for me to really see what my reaction would be. I have always been a greater good kind of guy too, but my self-preservation might overpower my good guyness. If family members are involved, then that is a different story.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
jump. there's only one me, and in my point of view, I'm inreplacable. don't believe in Heaven too, so i'd try to spend my time on earth and perhaps save more people in a less extravagant manner.

KDBTV

Feb 8, 2009
Don't know the other people
Don't care
So fuck them
I'll save myself to live another day

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
I would jump on the granade.Even though I hate humanity(a discusion for another time),I would like to die doing good,not evil.And by jumping out the window I would have to live with the thought that I had the chance to save 4 people,but didnt because I wanted to save myself.And doing so,I would probably fall into a deep depresion and sooner or later kill myself just to get the thought out of my head.