Would you throw yourself on a grenade?

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
I'll give you the situation. You are in a room with 4 strangers. A grenade is thrown into the room in one of the corners. You are right by the window. Now there are only two possible options, would you save yourself by diving out the window, thereby damning those individuals to be blown up. Or would you dive on the grenade to save these strangers?

First off, I want to lay down some ground rules. No matter what anyone says I don't want people ripping their choice. I just want to delve into the mind of other individuals to see what their reasoning is behind the choice they make.

I would dive on the grenade. Now obviously if I were in this situation my instinct would cause me to hesitate, however, I believe that in the end I would dive on the grenade. Self-Preservation would tell me otherwise. However, I've always been a greater good kind of guy. And if I can go out and save the lives of 4 others, I believe that to be an honorable death (or at least something like that).

Edit: To Clarify, I understand that there are more than two options. I'm simply saying if these were the only two options present. It's a hypothetical people and you are breaking my balls : P

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I'd jump out the window.
Because honestly, I don't give a fuck about people, much less strangers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dunno to be honest, but I don't think going out the window would occur to me.

I remember hearing something a while ago about a soldier in the trenches. A pin was pulled out by accident when they were shifting crates of grenades, and the guy threw himself on without a second's thought.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
I would push one of the four strangers into the grenade then jump out of the window thus "saving" 3 and survive without injuries :D

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
I'd jump out the window, then spend my life trying to save 5 people.

Oh, and if there's time for me to jump on the grenade, then there's time to either throw it out the window or get everyone to follow me...

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
factualsquirrel said:

Oh, and if there's time for me to jump on the grenade, then there's time to either throw it out the window or get everyone to follow me...
Obviously something like that could be achieveable but I'm just making a simple hypothetical. : P Killing me smalls. However, I will say, I do like your approach, it is admirable.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
I'd jump out the window without giving it any real consideration. I'm not about to sacrifice myself for a bunch of people I don't know. Maybe they deserve it. Maybe the person throwing the grenade was getting revenge on one or all of them for something terrible.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Strangers, eh? I'd probably go out the window.

Actually, it depends. If the other people are young-ish, like kids or teens, I'd probably "make the ultimate sacrifice" so to speak.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
I would most likely stand there and say "What the f*** is th-" before it exploded.

and if its a small room, there most likely going to all die anyway. It go out the windown and try and get them to follow.

BuyableDoor

Oct 13, 2009
if it were friends, I'd do it. Mostly because I'd feel too guilty about it to keep living afterwords. if it's strangers, then I'm more important to me.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Window.

If those idiots do not have enough self preservation instincts to jump out with me then they deserve to die.

Now the real question is, how high is the window :D

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Baconmonster723 said:
factualsquirrel said:

Obviously something like that could be achieveable but I'm just making a simple hypothetical. : P Killing me smalls. However, I will say, I do like your approach, it is admirable.
I know you were, which is why I answered the question first, it's just that that is a possibility. Well, it's the best thing I could do, and leaves me with a clear conscience.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
WestMountain said:
I would push one of the four strangers into the grenade then jump out of the window thus "saving" 3 and survive without injuries :D
As the man from Jurassic Park says before the Velociraptor ambushes him. "Clever Girl..."

PayJ567 said:
I'd rather just jump out the window, call in my highly train goose to diffuse the grenade, then to the winchester for drinks. Hows that for a slice of fried gold?
I must say, this made me laugh for a very long time.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Honestly and Truly, my survival instinct would probably kick in and I'd jump out the window. Not because I want the other to die, it's just more likely that I'd try to save my self out of instinct.