Would you want to see more games taking the "Weird West" genre.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
For those who don't know Weird West is when you combine westerns with any kind of genre. Be it horror, science fiction, occult, and fantasy. I ask this because while I'm going to play Red Dead Redemption 2 I also think there could be more done with the genre.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Eh? If they do something with it. More grim growly men growling grimly in stupid hats while the vaguely Mexican women wait to be raped in the saloon gets old after awhile.
Maybe a horror game? Like a Lovecraftian Western? New Sheriff in town, but the town, a mining town, uncovered a statue of Thgral'Lar'Lar'Martar the Drinker of Dreams some 2-3 generations back and are all now cultist. And you have to uncover the cult and stop them, along with the new Doctor in town, Dr...Monroe, a lady(!) who is I dunno, smarter or whatever than the gun-toting Sheriff.

Foxcubwendigo

Apr 5, 2018
I would love to see more Wild West horror games.
Only one that really springs to mind is Undead Nightmare, and in my opinion that's a bit silly and over the top compared to what I'm thinking of, which is more the Last of Us but set in the 1800s.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sure. I don't think every game should be the same, so why not have more variety?

Oct 22, 2011
"Cowboy Bebop" remains one of my favorite animes. "New Vegas" might be my favorite Fallout game. "Logan" might be my favorite comic book movie in last decade.

Yes, more western remixes, please.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, sure, I'm all up for games trying out different settings and genres. Sure, it may end up not working or not a smash hit, but I'd say it's better to have tried and failed, than to never have tried at all.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The original Red Dead game was like this, Red Dead Revolver was a traditional western setting but still had some weird stuff like a guy with a cannon for an arm.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
There were a few on PS2. Gun, Darkwatch, Red Dead Revolver.
Red Dead Redemption had something like that, at least with the Stranger missions and the Undead Nightmare DLC.
If you like reading try Ambrose Bierce, he's a good weird writer and his best stories take place during or around the Civil War.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The table-top rpg Weird West was Pinnacle's Deadlands, the best table-top rpg ever made. If the genre is something you like I suggest checking out Hard West on Steam or GOG. Its not quite Deadlands, but a videogame. But it is as close to that as I have ever seen.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Only if they can do something new with it- otherwise it's just yet another Outlaws knockoff.

Space Western ain't a bad idea... but then you risk comparisons to Cowboy Bebop and Firefly. So tread carefully.

Personally I want to see more games in the 1930's pulp setting. Indiana Jones type stuff.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
A 1000 times yes. Done right, it's quite an experience.

Kyrian007 said:
The table-top rpg Weird West was Pinnacle's Deadlands, the best table-top rpg ever made. If the genre is something you like I suggest checking out Hard West on Steam or GOG. Its not quite Deadlands, but a videogame. But it is as close to that as I have ever seen.
Hard West was a great sales pitch and looked nice, but one very critical mistake for a turn based game; giving enemy mobs overwatch abilities, but not the player characters? Not to mention the useless card system.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Honestly, I want a more realistic cowboy game. Resource management, cattle and herd management, lots of black folks and Mexicans, some political and market intrigue, the works.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Smithnikov said:
A 1000 times yes. Done right, it's quite an experience.

Kyrian007 said:
Hard West was a great sales pitch and looked nice, but one very critical mistake for a turn based game; giving enemy mobs overwatch abilities, but not the player characters? Not to mention the useless card system.
I'm not sure what you mean by overwatch abilities, but it obviously wasn't a huge handicap as it didn't unbalance the game or keep me from beating it. And I do wish they had used cards more like Deadlands does, an integral part of combat... but I didn't consider it useless. It determined what abilities your characters had, without it the only thing left of character development and progression was choosing equipment. Hard West without the card system would be like Fallout 4 without leveling, perks, and Special stats. Just weapons and crafting available to mark your progression.

Apr 5, 2008
B-Cell said:
I want Call of juarez gunslinger 2.
Despite loathing modern Ubisoft, I would pre-order that the instant it went on sale. The spiritual parts and the showdown with the ghosts in the cemetery certainly qualifies it as weird. I adored CoJ: Gunslinger.

Kyrian007 said:
... I suggest checking out Hard West on Steam or GOG.
Was about to mention it. XCOM but in the Wild West and with occult elements. Tactical turn-based scenarios that get weirder as the game progresses.

I certainly wouldn't *not* want more western games, weird or otherwise. I wonder what an RPG set in the west would be like. Arcanum is probably the closest thing we already have, being industrial-era/steampunk but that's not quite right. The setting does lend itself to shooting and open-world roaming, but no reason we can't have games with other styles. I'm not sure if they should rush out to make a Total War: Wild West but something action-oriented could be fun.

There is a modern-ish version of the Wild West tho that can be used to similar effect in fiction, namely the podunk, middle-American town. Take an isolated, middle of nowhere, one gas station town with a small community and you have a setting that's partway between the West and modern day. You can have train tracks, a bar, a sheriff, a biker gang, whatever. A bit like True Blood maybe, that kinda setting.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
When you said "weird west" it reminded me of Copperhead (a weird horror western movie about venomous snakes swarming a town)

Hey! That would be a great idea. Sunset Riders with snakes.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Oh hell yeah. Weird West is one of my favourite underused settings (other than in some [url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6Q0xRW5bQ] awesomely [/url] [url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FzVhw8_bY] unique [/url] [url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shVifNrxgP4] music [/url]). I highly recommend watching Bone Tomahawk if you like that kind of thing...though not if you've got a weak stomach for gore and general fucked-up brutality. Doesn't even have to be done as pure horror, you could easily frame something dark and action-y in a Weird West setting. For example, one idea I've had rattling around my head for a character in one RP or another is (forgive me if this is cliche, grossly misinterpreted or somehow offensive) is a Navajo warrior-shaman and follower of Nayanazgeni, a legendary war god/monster-killer also known as the Slayer of Alien Gods. So this guy would be sort of a Van Helsing-type, hunting down monstrous things and banishing foul spirits and the like.