Wouldn't be easier to be killed by serial killer during the day in an open field?

Mar 9, 2009
I was walking in the woods one day, and I realized something: You know how in horror movies some girl always runs out into the middle of the woods, and then she gets stabbed through a tree or something? Well I was thinking about that, and I came to the conclusion that if one was getting chased by a serial killer through the woods in the middle of the night, that the serial killer would have a hard time seeing the victim, not to mention he might also trip over a fair amount of things. In the middle of the day, not only could the serial killer see you, but they also wouldn't trip on anything in an open field! Am I right?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
True, but running in a forest seems to bring more chaos to the scene, and the killer is represented as a super-human for going after it's prey without stumbling down, or bumping into a tree, and finally being able to catch his/her prey, and torment her before finishing her off.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
An open field in the middle of the day with the sun shining is not scary at all. The woods at the middle of the night, however, is.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Who wants to kill during the day? Serial killers have lives to you know...

But seriously, if they did do it during the day, there would be a much higher chance of witnesses. And by being able to chase in the dark says one of two things: they are very well practiced at what they are doing; or they are an unstoppable force, and invulnerable, unlike their target.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
If the person chasing has a gun, you would be dead in an open field. They generally tend to run faster anyway, so it tends not to matter...

Logan Keller

Jul 24, 2008
I find a good personal rule of thumb for fiction is: it doesn't have to be completely logical.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Flap Jack452 said:
An open field in the middle of the day with the sun shining is not scary at all. The woods at the middle of the night, however, is.
I would be pants-shittingly scary if you've got some guy with a hockey mask and a machete chasing you. Even more so than the woods because you can't lose him or hide anywhere.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
KamachoMcSagget said:
but it wont be scary!
Are you kidding me? I'd crap myself knowing there was some madman with a gun and I had absolutely nowhere to hide or protect myself.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
If its a plain with nothing in sight for miles and the murder is some inhuman looking beast, that stares you down then outruns you and does horrible things, yes it would be scary.

It doesn't make for good horror movies though. Although, if a serial killer was chasing me I'd probably duck into the woods looking for cover.

KamachoMcSagget

Mar 22, 2009
Lios said:
KamachoMcSagget said:
but it wont be scary!
Are you kidding me? I'd crap myself knowing there was some madman with a gun and I had absolutely nowhere to hide or protect myself.
i mean in a movie. i'd be scared to death if a cerial killer was chaceing me anywhere

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
traceur_ said:
Flap Jack452 said:
I would be pants-shittingly scary if you've got some guy with a hockey mask and a machete chasing you. Even more so than the woods because you can't lose him or hide anywhere.
In real life yes, but in a movie, not so much.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
The idea behind the dark woodland being prefered serial killer territory is probably centred around the fact that it would be much easier for an SK to ambush you in the inky blackness and complex maze of trees (presumeably they would be familiar with the area so they would be at no disadvantage during the pursuit) while an open field during broad daylight gives the SK little in the way of suprise behind their attack and leaves the victim many options for routes of escape (in other words, it would even the odds in favor of the innocent victim).

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Also take into consideration that the people who are always having sex are among the first to die. Keep your pants on and stay alive.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
mrpenguinismyhomeboy said:
I came to the conclusion that if one was getting chased by a serial killer through the woods in the middle of the night, that the serial killer would have a hard time seeing the victim, not to mention he might also trip over a fair amount of things.
Well the same is true for the victim.