Wow, Assassin's Creed Oddysey looks pretty good.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

Perhaps its because I have a fondness for Ancient Greece and Hopilte Armor and Weapons, but this game actually does not look that bad.

And from the end of the Ubi conference it looks like AC has at last just became 100% Pure Fantasy because:

We see what was clearly a Minotaur at the end of the presentation

Feb 26, 2014
Odyssey has ship combat! Cool, now I'm a little less salty about Skull and Bones. While I liked Origins, I still don't like the intense RPG-ification of the game. A headshot should be a headshot. A stealth kill should be a stealth kill. I don't want to grind for levels because the level on this particular enemy is too high for anything close to a fair fight. It isn't challenging. Just dumb. It is kinda neat to see the wanted levels again. Syndicate is my favorite of the more recent games (Post IV) and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Captain Marvelous said:
Odyssey has ship combat! Cool, now I'm a little less salty about Skull and Bones. While I liked Origins, I still don't like the intense RPG-ification of the game. A headshot should be a headshot. A stealth kill should be a stealth kill. I don't want to grind for levels because the level on this particular enemy is too high for anything close to a fair fight. It isn't challenging. Just dumb. It is kinda neat to see the wanted levels again. Syndicate is my favorite of the more recent games (Post IV) and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.
I don't have much to say about the RPG element (since I haven't played origin yet, gonna start installing it soon), but I laugh pretty hard when the very next things I open after reading this comment was this:

https://www.gameinformer.com/e3-2018/2018/06/11/how-assassins-creed-odyssey-is-doubling-down-on-its-rpg-elements

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So let me get this straight, its called Odyssey, takes place in ancient Greece, there IS magic if that glowing sword is anything to go by, and you're still not playing as Odysseus himself?! Like the fuck is that shit?! Hell I would have settled for Jason and his Argonauts, but no! Going by that trailer is just looks like a Greek skin of Black Flag

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
So let me get this straight, its called Odyssey, takes place in ancient Greece, there IS magic if that glowing sword is anything to go by, and you're still not playing as Odysseus himself?! Like the fuck is that shit?! Hell I would have settled for Jason and his Argonauts, but no! Going by that trailer is just looks like a Greek skin of Black Flag
If the protagonist were Odysseus wouldn't it limit the game to wandering away from civilization (ie. cities) for most of the game? Like as soon as you hit a town the "odyssey" is over. Hell, the fast travel system alone would ruin the thing.

Jason would be an easier fit but again, his whole thing is that he goes away on a quest, which doesn't mesh with AC's dealio of faffing about town. I'm sure you'll run into them or some other Greek hero along the way though.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
If the protagonist were Odysseus wouldn't it limit the game to wandering away from civilization (ie. cities) for most of the game? Like as soon as you hit a town the "odyssey" is over. Hell, the fast travel system alone would ruin the thing.

Jason would be an easier fit but again, his whole thing is that he goes away on a quest, which doesn't mesh with AC's dealio of faffing about town. I'm sure you'll run into them or some other Greek hero along the way though.
Well remember Odysseus wasn't trying to get to Greece, he was trying to get home to Ithaca. You could easily have the game being about getting back to Ithaca.

Or pull a Bethesda and play as Telemachus. You father is already home, and you're a young man determined to find his glory in the world, and your father, Odysseus, gives you his boat and bow to start the game.
And you can pimp around Greece, fighting monsters, raiding hold-out Trojan strongholds, sexing up all the ladies and guys(it is Greece after all) while doing a pseudo-Greek God story about...I dunno, Poseidon being pissed Odysseus made it back and him constantly trolling you, and you have to collect 5 Macguffins and travel to the ancient temple of Poseidon, 'at the end of the world' and offer up the items to placate the big ol' God. And maybe one of the Macguffins is in Ajax the Greater's possession, in the underworld, so you have to journey and meet with Hades and its this whole thing.
And maybe a Prince, say a son of Pisidice, daughter of King Pelias, has a grudge against anyone who sailed with Jason. And Odysseus's father, Laertes, was one of the Argonauts, so there's your antagonist trying to stop you. All set to Assassin's creed gameplay and if you have to throw in something about Spartans being proto-Templars.

Oct 22, 2011
I like how next Assassin's Creed seems to have more roleplay than next Fallout and Bioware game...
Silentpony said:
Going by that trailer is just looks like a Greek skin of Black Flag
Sounds alright to me.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If that were a movie trailer it would at least have looked like a fun-if-instantly-forgettable summer popcorn movie.

It lost me the moment that guy got run right through with a trident of all things.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
They leearned from the Witcher 3. It does look really good. Origins was surprisingly fun as well. I like the new rpg approach, i hope they continue making these games good.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Looks gorgeous, but the whole time it just made me want to play more Age of Empires. I'll probably give this one a go, though, at some point when it's cheaper, even though I'm not a fan of the RPGness of it.

Also, I stopped playing Ass Creed halfway through the Ezio trilogy, so I got a question: they don't give a shit anymore about Templars, and world conspiracy theories and time travelling in the Animus and Desmond, and the apple of whatever, that's all gone right?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wintermute said:
Also, I stopped playing Ass Creed halfway through the Ezio trilogy, so I got a question: they don't give a shit anymore about Templars, and world conspiracy theories and time travelling in the Animus and Desmond, and the apple of whatever, that's all gone right?
Wellllll origin (the last one) dropped almost all of that, sadly it sounds like there quite proud that they're bringing all that back with this one.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
undeadsuitor said:
Silentpony said:
Since when have you ever played as someone historic in assassin's creed? You've always been like fanfic oc interacting with real people
Its Greek Mythology dude. Its already Fanfics. The Odyssey didn't really happen, and what evidence we have of the Trojan war is vastly different than the Iliad. Greek heroes were the comic book characters of their day; stories to inspire children and teach wholesome lessons about goat sacrifices and marrying the daughter of your adversary. But they didn't really happen. Odysseus, Hercules, Ajax, Achilles, they're myths.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm a little bit disappointed. The leaks said the game would focus on Greece under Roman rule which would be an extremely underussed setting but instead we get the much more mundane Spartans instead.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:

Well remember Odysseus wasn't trying to get to Greece, he was trying to get home to Ithaca. You could easily have the game being about getting back to Ithaca.
Yes but he's essentially lost for like 20 years. All he visits are a bunch of desert islands populated by lonely psychos. I guess Black Flag didn't have a central hub and kept its cities relatively small-scale but my impression is that Ody was essentially lost in the wacky part of the Mediterranean and that the perils of coming back home had less to do with the physical remoteness of Ithaca and more with randomly humoring prissy psychopaths (gods included).

I'm not saying you can't make a game out of the Odyssey but the road trip structure doesn't fit AC's school of faffing about the same two or three metropolis(es?) for 90% of the game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Y'know, with a game with "Assassin's Creed" in the title, there doesn't seem to be much assassinating in the trailer.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hawki said:
Y'know, with a game with "Assassin's Creed" in the title, there doesn't seem to be much assassinating in the trailer.
I'm guessing dropping on someone from above or stabbing them in the back is not manly enough for Greek mythology, so you'll be stabbing them in the face instead? Poisoning seems pretty popular too, if less manly. Although neither has anything on naked oil wrestling.

captainsavvy

Jan 5, 2009
After watching a video by OutsideXtra it looks like you can choose between being Kassandra and Alexios and you are the son/daughter of Leonidas. Yes that one. Apparently you have a First Civilisation spear which is what you use to assassinate people with.

It's also apparently set before Origins and you are neither an Assassin or Templar; you're just a mercenary.

Also there are conversation options now, and flirting?

Apr 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:

I believe this is set sometime during the Peloponnesian War of 431-404 BC so we're a bit late for mythical heroes though there's still a fair few historical characters that can pop up (hoping for Thucydides, personally)
What I wonder is how this is supposed to connected to the series at all, given that the game is set about 350 years before Origins. Are they going to show us the group that becomes the Order of Ancients who become the Templars?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
captainsavvy said:
After watching a video by OutsideXtra it looks like you can choose between being Kassandra and Alexios and you are the son/daughter of Leonidas. Yes that one. Apparently you have a First Civilisation spear which is what you use to assassinate people with.
Oh for fuck sake...

captainsavvy said:
It's also apparently set before Origins and you are neither an Assassin or Templar; you're just a mercenary.
And I could bet money that the game is about the formation of the ancient order that eventually turns into Templars.

captainsavvy said:
Now they should do one about 700 ways that it's not like Mass Effect.