WoW Server Blades Raise $330,000 for Charity

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
WoW Server Blades Raise $330,000 for Charity

The hardware that once housed World of Warcraft has put thousands towards children's cancer research.

We've seen quite a few gaming initiatives over the past few years doing their part to help charities. Whether they take the form of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117491-Indie-Gala-V-Supports-AbleGamers-and-Earthquake-Victims>game bundle purchases going to earthquake victims or <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116677-Pokemon-Marathon-Tries-to-Catch-Em-All-For-Charity>one of many charity marathons, there is a clear desire among those who love games to give back to someone in need. Now we can add one more entry to the good works of charitable gamers: the Blizzard's World of Warcraft ebay auction just raised $330,000 for children's cancer research.

"In October 2011," Blizzard said in an official statement, "we announced that a selection of retired World of Warcraft server blades -- hardware that once housed World of Warcraft realms- - would be made available for auction for this great cause, and you responded by opening up your hearts and your guild banks. Thanks again for your support and for helping to make a difference in the lives of children."

The auction was <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113658-Blizzard-Auctioning-World-of-Warcraft-Server-Blades-for-Charity>announced last year after Blizzard upgraded its hardware and found itself with nearly 2000 retired server blades. Having once carried each the many realms of Azeroth between them, Blizzard recognized the blades would make an ideal (and lucrative) collector's item. After outfitting them with commemorative plaques, Blizzard took them to eBay to generate funds for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

"World of Warcraft realms are like the virtual neighborhoods of the game's community," said Blizzard Entertainment CEO Mike Morhaime. "[They] contain the spaces where millions of players have made friendships, forged friendly rivalries, and created lasting memories ... Each winner in this auction will own a small monument to those collective experiences. The best part is that this auction benefits a great charity doing tremendous work in helping children from the U.S. and around the world."

Sources: <a href=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/6686020/St_Jude_Children%E2%80%99s_Research_Hospital%C2%AE_Charity_Auction_Thank_You-7_12_2012>Battle.net, <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-13-world-of-warcraft-server-blades-raise-USD330-000>Games Industry International

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Kudos Blizzard. I know they've been dealing with a lot of bad press lately over the Diablo 3 debacle, but it's always heartening to hear that a big company like this is using their popularity for a good cause.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Good for Blizzard. And man I wish I had known about this, owning one of those would be so kick ass. Put that bad boy on the wall and be like yeah, my first server and everything that ever was is on that there bad boy. Well not really but you get what I mean :p

fractured_sanity

May 25, 2011
DugMachine said:
Good for Blizzard. And man I wish I had known about this, owning one of those would be so kick ass. Put that bad boy on the wall and be like yeah, my first server and everything that ever was is on that there bad boy. Well not really but you get what I mean :p
Mount it on the wall big game style.
"Oh yeah? How dangerous was that bear you shot? This blade claimed thousands."

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Why do I get the feeling Activision staunchly opposed this money going to charity.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Sylveria said:
Why do I get the feeling Activision staunchly opposed this money going to charity.
They give out to US Military Veteran Charities in the past couple years. I think last year, I may be wrong, but it was something like 3 million dollars.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
fractured_sanity said:
DugMachine said:
Mount it on the wall big game style.
"Oh yeah? How dangerous was that bear you shot? This blade claimed thousands."
I feel I laughed way harder at this than I should have. XD

And I'm still waiting for someone to try to take it home, hook it up, then ***** at how the server doesn't have the game on it.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Not the first time Blizzard has done something like this, I remember there was a time where they put up a vanity pet for sale and gave a good percentage of the sales to a charity, if I remember correctly it amounted to more than a million dollars.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'm pretty sure that under the right conditions, these things can be used in a variety of rituals.

Savrill

Jun 5, 2009
Sylveria: Why do I get the feeling Activision staunchly opposed this money going to charity.
Basically, I think Activision would agree to this. They might see them being in such a bad spot reputation wise saying: if we do this, we might get into good standing with the community again....

Not that it helps in any way shape or form.

That, or either blizzard just gave activision the finger when they opposed it. I mean, WoW is quiet a leverage to have still, even in its slow decline.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
For as much as I'm not a big WoW player, I'd really like to have owned one of those, just so cool. And it's good to hear Blizzard sticking to their charitable ways, say what you will about their business practices, it's clear someone at the top cares about something.

Oh, and on a side note, anyone know if these would still be fully functional for practical use?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Scumbag Blizzard: Upgrades servers, has 2k in storage, claims there was no possible way they could have prepared for Diablo 3 traffic.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Sigh, I really wanted my servers blade but I am not rich and shipping to Europe basically doubled the price. :(

tautologico said:
Not the first time Blizzard has done something like this, I remember there was a time where they put up a vanity pet for sale and gave a good percentage of the sales to a charity, if I remember correctly it amounted to more than a million dollars.
Oh the Moonkin pet? All of the proceeds went to Make a Wish Foundation and it's one of the most entertaining pets in the game. It dances back when you type /dance at it. ^^
Actually that pet is going to be my foremost battler when the pet battles are implemented (Which is basically Pokemon in MMO format and even though the beta has it slightly broken right now still shows promise of being mind numbingly entertaining)

RvLeshrac said:
Scumbag Blizzard: Upgrades servers, has 2k in storage, claims there was no possible way they could have prepared for Diablo 3 traffic.
Diablo's servers have to be on different servers from the WoW ones and WoW's population fluctuates everytime there is a patch, and no they didn't expect nearly 8 million on launch day. Even I didn't expect that (I predicted 4million tops). But I DID expect them to fix the issues that are still going on so if you need a scumbag reason you can give them that. Latency issues, Hackers and Auction House as far as the eye can see.