Wow, So I just bought a laptop, and I'm having problems with it.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Are all laptops like this? I've blue screened once while only running steam, firefox, and itunes.

Hell itunes skips my music on that laptop and freezes randomly.

I can't even close itunes or restart my computer, it freezes and I have to shut it down.

I payed 700$ for the laptop, and 400$ for all the extra protections and shit.

Its a asus or w/e its called, running an i5 with 6GB of ram and 2.40 ghz.

I was told it can run skyrim on low, it lags like hell.

wtf, do the people who sold me this thing even know what they are doing?

(Geek squad set it up for me, it was already pre-set up)

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
No, it should not blue-screen or skip and freeze. Especially if it's brand new and over $1000. Return it, get a replacement.

I'm sure many helpful and knowledgeable people will give you useful advice as to how to fix it, but you shouldn't have to fix your own brand-new laptop.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Thanatus1992 said:
No, it should not blue-screen or skip and freeze. Especially if it's brand new and over $1000. Return it, get a replacement.

I'm sure many helpful and knowledgeable people will give you useful advice as to how to fix it, but you shouldn't have to fix your own brand-new laptop.
Thats how I felt, I was like wtf is up with this. I was raging hard earlier.

WarDialler

Nov 3, 2011
Never bother with the extras, laptops are designed to crap out every 18 months so that you have to buy a new one and put 700 dollarpoundseurosyen into some greedy capitalist's greasy wallet.

Take it back and have them check it out, ram, cpu socketing, everything, if not satisfied, buy a DESKTOP.

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
I`ve heard many current laptops switch between onboard graphics and the gaming GPU, but that often you first have to manually confirm this in the drivers. Also, update all drivers (first try official updates from the laptop manufacturer if there are any), deinstall useless firmware (apart from backup software and things like that). If it`s a custom built laptop there is also the possibility of some failed connections, problems with the configuration and so on.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
WarDialler said:
Never bother with the extras, laptops are designed to crap out every 18 months so that you have to buy a new one and put 700 dollarpoundseurosyen into some greedy capitalist's greasy wallet.

Take it back and have them check it out, ram, cpu socketing, everything, if not satisfied, buy a DESKTOP.
I have a monster desktop bro. This thing can run any game this year on ultra.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
DolorousEdd said:
I`ve heard many current laptops switch between onboard graphics and the gaming GPU, but that often you first have to manually confirm this in the drivers. Also, update all drivers (first try official updates from the laptop manufacturer if there are any), deinstall useless firmware (apart from backup software and things like that). If it`s a custom built laptop there is also the possibility of some failed connections, problems with the configuration and so on.
Hmmm, Update the drivers, I'll do that, I also did manual updates as well, but let me try the updating again see if that fixes it.

Zakarrum

Oct 20, 2011
To be honest you might not be able to run skyrim on a 700 dollar laptop, most laptops at those prices don't have the greatest GPU's

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Zakarrum said:
To be honest you might not be able to run skyrim on a 700 dollar laptop, most laptops at those prices don't have the greatest GPU's
Makes sense, i mean it ran but it was a bit slow, If i can't even run itunes tho there is something wrong

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
My laptop cost me $600, it was a generic brand, it's lasted me up to four years with no issues. If you can't get it to work right, take it back and get a refund. There's no way even a $700 laptop should act like that.

If you want to play games however, buy a desktop instead. Laptops just aren't made for that kinda stuff. At least not without spending a pretty penny.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
What kind of hard-drive do you have in that laptop. I used to have an Acer that would also constantly stutter or freeze for a few seconds, and it was due to the Western Digital hard-drive spinning down at inappropriate times (and this was a high-end laptop). It seems slightly similar to what you're experiencing, although it doesn't explain a hard-lock or BSOD, those could indicate either a driver -or hardware-issue.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
Your Local DJ said:
You have a monster desktop, but don't know what type of laptop you have? And had to get it set up by the "geek squad" (asking on these forums would probably get you better tech advice as your probably realising).

And you was told you could run a brand new game on a laptops midrange i5 without lag, even at low settings, skyrim has been a bit of a stretch for most laptops i've encountered recently.

my advice, use websites like hotukdeals (well an american equivilant of course) to source out the best laptop prices, skip all the accessories, and cover (except for accidental damage) and set the thing up yourself. Getting used to setting up and fixing your own tech is the only way you will ever avoid throwing more money at situations when things cock up.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Jake Lewis Clayton said:
Your Local DJ said:
You have a monster desktop, but don't know what type of laptop you have? And had to get it set up by the "geek squad" (asking on these forums would probably get you better tech advice as your probably realising).

And you was told you could run a brand new game on a laptops midrange i5 without lag, even at low settings, skyrim has been a bit of a stretch for most laptops i've encountered recently.

my advice, use websites like hotukdeals (well an american equivilant of course) to source out the best laptop prices, skip all the accessories, and cover (except for accidental damage) and set the thing up yourself. Getting used to setting up and fixing your own tech is the only way you will ever avoid throwing more money at situations when things cock up.
I saved for awhile and purchased a alienware. The specs on this laptop looked okay, good enough to play TF2 and gmod. So i5 seems okay for what I wanted to run, I don't NEED to run skyrim, as long as it can run a few games that I play (which it does) I'm good.
I'm also not tech savy, but my desktop is pretty awesome and I have had no problems with it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Your Local DJ said:

Probably not. The training at Best Buy is a bit lacking, relying heavily on video tutorials that don't really tell you too much. Also as a brand, I don't really trust Asus though to be honest. If it's under warranty or, protection or whatever just take it back and explain your problems. See if they can either repair the thing or, replace it.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
So I found out what was wrong with the laptop, I had a generally bad experience at best buy, basically being told that they would not helpme on black friday.

So I did online support and found out that my hard drive is failing. So i need a replacement computer.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Asus? I'm going to make a wild guess here: It came with Realtek and Creative sound drivers? Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a tech buff (so it might be best to wait for someone more familiar with the subject to confirm or deny what I say here), but I do seem to recall hearing that those tend to cause horrific problems (including crashes) when they interact, and that one of the better options was to download driver sweeper and use it to rid your computer of anything from Creative. Again, to my knowledge this is only if you find both Creative and Realtek drivers on your computer, and my knowledge may well be faulty.

alpensopath

Nov 26, 2011
It does not execute because windows cannot run it due to the bonjour part
which is the part that makes me mad. I did not ask for bonjour, it came with the apple downloads. And ealier versions of it was on my box when I got it from Best buy anyway. I truly believe for the sake of deleting a single application, somone out there would be quick ready, to share with users.

Sure enough, right after deleting bonjour entirely using Windows Installer CleanUp Utility my itunes works. So for what it is worth, if you are having difficulties with windows and itunes look at trying to delete the bonjour service. Make a back up or restore point first and unless you know what you are doing, don't mess with your registry entries. I have absolutely no idea why bonjour affects itunes butnow that I know I thought some one else might find the solution useful.

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/itunes-cannot-run-my-laptop
Adultism said:
Are all laptops like this? I've blue screened once while only running steam, firefox, and itunes.

Hell itunes skips my music on that laptop and freezes randomly.

I can't even close itunes or restart my computer, it freezes and I have to shut it down.

I payed 700$ for the laptop, and 400$ for all the extra protections and shit.

Its a asus or w/e its called, running an i5 with 6GB of ram and 2.40 ghz.

I was told it can run skyrim on low, it lags like hell.