Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,358
0
0
Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard



Have you ever wanted to visit the offices of Blizzard Entertainment to see where they make some of the most beloved computer games of all time? If you think you can write some great fanfiction, you just might have a shot.

I realize that I'm a lucky man. I've gotten to nerd Paradise on Earth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94044-BlizzCon-09-Behind-Blizzards-Walls]. Even if you don't like Blizzard's games, the place just has so much awesome behind closed doors that I can't imagine any gamer wouldn't want to visit.

Well, now you have your chance [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/writing2010/]. Blizzard is holding a reprise of its 2009 fiction contest this year, asking contestants to submit a short story (2,500 - 7,500 words) set in the Diablo, Warcraft, or StarCraft universes.

One lucky winner will be flown to Irvine, California, where they'll get a tour of the Blizzard offices and meet the people who write the actual fiction that goes into the games - as well as get their choice of a Frostmourne [http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=8023], the Lich King's blade.

The rules and further details are on the Blizzard site, as are last year's winners [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/writing/]. Either way, it's a cool offer - and people said that your fanfiction wouldn't ever get you anywhere!

As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you.

Permalink
 

vivadelkitty

New member
Dec 21, 2008
401
0
0
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!
 

the_maestro_sartori

New member
Nov 8, 2009
229
0
0
"As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you."

Indeed.
However, I'll be submitting my own within a couple of days, so here's hoping my salute gets me extra props ;)
 

More Fun To Compute

New member
Nov 18, 2008
4,052
0
0
Once upon a time in the World of Warcraft there was an Orc called Blork. He was a particularly fat and ugly orc but that didn't stop him making an effort to dress to impress.

He was happy enough in the World of Warcraft doing whatever people do there, I don't know, but one day a strange human recruitment agent approached him with a proposition.

"Why don't you come with me in this glass elevator and leave this world behind. Ahead of you lies a promising career in chartered accountancy. Far away from the mundane World of Warcraft."

Blork considered his options then entered the glass lift and spent many years mastering the arts of double entry book keeping until one day he fell into an open manhole which somehow returned him to the World of Warcraft. He was disappointed as there was no need for accountants in this world so felt like the time he spent mastering his trade was wasted. Later he found out that the World of Warcraft was actually all about numbers and stuff so there is some sort of happy ending to this tale.

Fin.

Can I has my free holiday now?
 

Taco of flames

New member
May 30, 2009
228
0
0
Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...
 

Hurr Durr Derp

New member
Apr 8, 2009
2,558
0
0
Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?
 

Deleted

New member
Jul 25, 2009
4,054
0
0
Finally, my Blood Elf/Night Elf yaoi fanfiction will actually be useful!!!
 

jamesworkshop

New member
Sep 3, 2008
2,679
0
0
MorteSphere said:
One thousand vile sex fanfictions later:

"This was a ugly mistake."




And they only have themselves to blame I predict lot of Alternate universe/Cross-over Andariel/Kerrigan Yuri Fics with illustrations

100% Nightmare fuel
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
3,944
0
0
Taco of flames said:
Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?
Nonsense you two. I majored in creative writing and I don't think I have a shot. I'm sure everyone thinks they don't have a shot, but someone has to win. You should give it your all anyway. I'm certainly going to. Just the possiblity of winning this is worth it.
 

Ironic Pirate

New member
May 21, 2009
5,545
0
0
canadamus_prime said:
I feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaallly sorry for the people who have to judge this contest.
Expect a large number of them to quit Blizzard and become anti internet lobbyists...
 

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
8,712
0
0
Hmmm, well I'd probably embarass myself badly if I ever went to Blizzard's offices, but I have always wanted to try my hand at writing. Sadly my grasp of english isn't that great.

Who knows maybe I will ensure my eternal fame by failing so spectacularly that my work becomes as well known as "My Immortal"

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

Probably the best, bad work of fanfiction ever. :)

I know, I know, it's the dream of many bad wannabee writers.
 

Chipperz

New member
Apr 27, 2009
2,594
0
0
...People... Outside... Of the US... Can... Enter? I... I don't know what this emotion is, I haven't felt it in so long!

Right... TO WORD!
 

Hurr Durr Derp

New member
Apr 8, 2009
2,558
0
0
Sniper Team 4 said:
Taco of flames said:
Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?
Nonsense you two. I majored in creative writing and I don't think I have a shot. I'm sure everyone thinks they don't have a shot, but someone has to win. You should give it your all anyway. I'm certainly going to. Just the possiblity of winning this is worth it.
That's... kinda.... exactly what I was saying.
 

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
2,172
0
0
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well I'd probably embarrass myself badly if I ever went to Blizzard's offices, but I have always wanted to try my hand at writing. Sadly my grasp of english isn't that great.

Who knows maybe I will ensure my eternal fame by failing so spectacularly that my work becomes as well known as "My Immortal"

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

Probably the best, bad work of fanfiction ever. :)

I know, I know, it's the dream of many bad wannabee writers.
Therumancer. You write half page paragraphs and more on just about everything you debate seriously. -_^ And, I don't think I've noticed anything in the way of failure in the English language on your part.

Of course, you could just be sitting on a pile of sarcasm right there. If you think you're going to fail, what chance have the rest of us? xD
 

Stilt-Man

New member
Dec 31, 2009
371
0
0
Oh to be a fly on the wall wherever the judges will be reading these. I wonder how many Illidan/Arthas' they'll get.
 

WhiteTigerShiro

New member
Sep 26, 2008
1,950
0
0
jamesworkshop said:
And they only have themselves to blame I predict lot of Alternate universe/Cross-over Andariel/Kerrigan Yuri Fics with illustrations

100% Nightmare fuel
If that's the stuff of nightmares, then I don't wanna dream. xP
 

Tom Phoenix

New member
Mar 28, 2009
1,161
0
0
Blizzard, why do you keep doing this to me? Why do you open a fan fiction contest in which I would love to participate, but can't beacuse my country is not eligible? And to make matters worse, I can't participate through someone else either. =(
 

IMrAngryPantsI

New member
Jun 8, 2009
1,081
0
0
Damn my awful writing skills. If I submit a picture of a banana wearing earrings can I get a "mercy" trip to blizzard?
 

Deacon Cole

New member
Sep 3, 2020
1,232
0
0
Country
USA
Temping, but since I have never played any of their games, despite getting Diablo as a give many years ago, I have nothing at all to draw upon for a story. I mean, absolutely nothing. I would probably put Drow in it when they have... some other kind of evil elf type thing. So I would write a generic fantasy story and just google up references to their game world. It would be the most pathetic thing I have ever done. And then even if I won I wouldn't go because why would I want to? I don't play their games.

Still tempting just to see if I could cobble up a shitty, shitty story.
 

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
5,630
0
0
I am sure some gems will shine through...but...so much crap that is going to come through on it too...will be so rediculous!
 

Orange_Clockwork

New member
Oct 29, 2009
153
0
0
vivadelkitty said:
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!
Read the FAQ, they won't count actual in-game happenings as literal fiction:

Q: My entry is more of a moment-by-moment account of what my character does in-game. Is that okay?
A: We're looking for complete literary works of short fiction based on the Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo franchise. Accounts of in-game events or works that detail game mechanics are not literary fiction. Again, we highly encourage you to take a look at last year's winners for guidance.
[hr]

That being said! I'm going to enter this with a StarCraft story, but I'll have to do my research! Oh god, help my pen...
 

RatRace123

New member
Dec 1, 2009
6,631
0
0
Wonder how many slash fics they recieved?

"And then the mighty Tauren looked down at his gnome compatriot, new feelings were stirring up inside him..."

Hmm, I'm kinda good at this.
 

Loonerinoes

New member
Apr 9, 2009
889
0
0
As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you.
If they weren't ready to take the bad together with the good, then there shouldn't have been a contest to begin with. So screw it I say - let 'em see ALL that they have inspired heheh.

Having said that, there is also plenty of good fanfiction too. And Blizzard's universes have the potential to inspire such just as well as the bad.
 

vivadelkitty

New member
Dec 21, 2008
401
0
0
Orange_Clockwork said:
vivadelkitty said:
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!
Read the FAQ, they won't count actual in-game happenings as literal fiction:

Q: My entry is more of a moment-by-moment account of what my character does in-game. Is that okay?
A: We're looking for complete literary works of short fiction based on the Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo franchise. Accounts of in-game events or works that detail game mechanics are not literary fiction. Again, we highly encourage you to take a look at last year's winners for guidance.
[hr]

That being said! I'm going to enter this with a StarCraft story, but I'll have to do my research! Oh god, help my pen...
Except...it's not an account of in-game occurences. That's why it's on a forum, because that allows for things you can't do in-game. The only in-game tie is the character name, the rest is well, a story.
 

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
6,781
0
0
I tried to beef up an old kids story I wrote for my step daughter when she was little, but I could only get it up to 1200 words before it felt bloated. Maybe I'll work more on it later.
 

Zanez

New member
Aug 8, 2008
60
0
0
I am certainly going to enter. There are two boxes to check on the submission page

[ ] I am already a published author.
[ ] I am interested in a career in writing.

I am a creative writing student in college at the moment, so I have no published works... Imagine this was an opportunity for Blizz to hire the winner? Holy shit that would be amazing. Meeting Metzen and Samwise would be amazing. The grand prize description implies you can eat with them. God having lunch with them would be thrilling... Imagine working alongside them...
 

The Random One

New member
May 29, 2008
3,224
0
0
Time to write an epic crossover sexy story! And keep in my personal vault. They want my stories but they're MINE

Zanez said:
I am certainly going to enter. There are two boxes to check on the submission page

[ ] I am already a published author.
[ ] I am interested in a career in writing.

I am a creative writing student in college at the moment, so I have no published works... Imagine this was an opportunity for Blizz to hire the winner? Holy shit that would be amazing. Meeting Metzen and Samwise would be amazing. The grand prize description implies you can eat with them. God having lunch with them would be thrilling... Imagine working alongside them...
That might also be just a marketing thing though. (How many of the people who took this contest take writing seriously?) At least there's some mention of a previous contest, did its winner get hired?
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
12,017
0
0
Ironic Pirate said:
canadamus_prime said:
I feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaallly sorry for the people who have to judge this contest.
Expect a large number of them to quit Blizzard and become anti internet lobbyists...
Or to sue Blizzard for inhumane working conditions.
 

Anarchemitis

New member
Dec 23, 2007
9,094
0
0
People can already get jobs drawing the video games they like, playing the video games they like, ranting on the video games they like, making detailed instructions regarding the games they like, now they can make money making Fan Fictions about them too?
 

ninjajoeman

New member
Mar 13, 2009
933
0
0
successfully combine star craft and diablo and then I think they won... remember I said SUCCESSFULLY. or just write some story about an orc who rises up from slavery blah blah blah fights a dragon blah blah blah actually was the evil human blah blah blah then frees his kind blah blah blah then that dragon had friends blah blah blah epic fight scene the end.

Zanez said:
I am certainly going to enter. There are two boxes to check on the submission page

[ ] I am already a published author.
[ ] I am interested in a career in writing.

I am a creative writing student in college at the moment, so I have no published works... Imagine this was an opportunity for Blizz to hire the winner? Holy shit that would be amazing. Meeting Metzen and Samwise would be amazing. The grand prize description implies you can eat with them. God having lunch with them would be thrilling... Imagine working alongside them...
you scare me but then again I've seen scarier fan boys like, valve fan boys. oh and because I quoted this I should probably say good luck don't lose and order soup.
 

9NineBreaker9

New member
Nov 1, 2007
389
0
0
If I knew any Blizzard lore whatsoever, I would totally enter in this contest - a chance to see Blizzard studios? Awesome. But all my knowledge of the Warcraft universe comes from skipping through quest logs and standing around healing in raids and groups, soaking in the architecture. xD
 

Nyan Cat

New member
Jun 7, 2009
298
0
0
OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

I need to enter this. Right now. TO MICROSOFT WORD!

Although, I need an idea...
 

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
2,355
0
0
Hmm Barbarian statue thingy or a fucking sword? It's almost as though they think there's some kind of decision there.

The only question is lore friendly or B.net friendly. Actually there's another question where can I find a homeless person that has a fine arts degree in creative writing.
 

Skops

New member
Mar 9, 2010
745
0
0
I'll write something, if, AND ONLY IF! Once I get there I get to roll in Blizzards money/souls pile.
 

Dingoman013

New member
Mar 11, 2009
263
0
0
hey does anyoneow if there is anything about what happened to tyrael after baal was freed by diablo in D2
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,358
0
0
I don't really care about whats behind Blizzards Doors, but ill write anyway, for the sake of bragging.
 

FieryTrainwreck

New member
Apr 16, 2010
1,653
0
0
I skimmed last year's winning submission. Do not let mediocrity stop you from entering this contest. The bar isn't nearly as high as you might think. I daresay even Yahtzee has a chance.

As for the poor saps who have to sift through countless shit stories, that's not really how literature works. If the first 10-20% of a piece is awful, the last 80-90% cannot redeem it. The winner should, necessarily, be solid start to finish. As a judge, you only have to finish reading the entries that obviously don't suck.
 

Vortigar

New member
Nov 8, 2007
856
0
0
Hhhmmmm, I was trying to come up with a good idea for a story of late. This would be a good exercise as an angle instantly popped into my head when I read this.

Now to pull up some Diablo (as I don't care a bit about either Crafts' stories) sites for background and see if I can fit this into the existing lore.

I'd pick the Frostmourne sword over the barbarian statue I think, even though I'll never touch WoW in my life.
 

ionveau

New member
Nov 22, 2009
493
0
0
There was ones a 14 year old boy who didnt fit into real life so he got a game to be a strong warrior instead of working on his social problem he would raid days and night for cloths with higher numbers on them, he would remake his raid guild application every few months in case his guild disbanded. he would raid so much and so long that even though he was 18 he was still a 14 year old at heart and in the mind. and now he spends his days on gaming forums arguing his opinion on life and games with people that overall agree with him

That brings up a question how do "HARDCORE" raiders live? i mean do they atlest have a job?
 

MetalGenocide

New member
Dec 2, 2009
472
0
0
The best way to get new ideas sometimes is, reading crappy fan-fiction, and there is an occasional diamond in the rough.
After all, they have D3 and SC2 coming, some help (idea stealing/borrowing from fans) is needed.
 

Billion Backs

New member
Apr 20, 2010
1,431
0
0
MorteSphere said:
One thousand vile sex fanfictions later:

"This was a ugly mistake."
Eh, they already have satirical sex fanfictions in the game, courtesy of Blizzard.

There are some "collectible" gray books you can pickpocket or fish out, or something. I think there are at least 3 at this point that have short and hilarious fan fiction with obvious sexual undertones.

More on topic, I'm tempted to try...
 

DeathWyrmNexus

New member
Jan 5, 2008
1,143
0
0
MorteSphere said:
One thousand vile sex fanfictions later:

"This was a ugly mistake."
Lulz... Sadly, I had an idea for a necromancer from Diablo 2 who fell in love with his rogue mercenary. This made me laugh since I didn't put sex in it. XD
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,358
0
0
Still in two minds as whether to enter. I know what I want to do, but not wanting to win. I'll take the Frostmourne replica though.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,358
0
0
So.. They probably won't accept a fanfic about an obsessive WoW player who after a powercut takes to the streets looking for quests, and in the process kills several people for exp and loot, before attempting a raid on an orphanage and being gunned down?
 

eastinfecter

New member
Apr 12, 2010
111
0
0
FargoDog said:
So.. They probably won't accept a fanfic about an obsessive WoW player who after a powercut takes to the streets looking for quests, and in the process kills several people for exp and loot, before attempting a raid on an orphanage and being gunned down?
any *cough* x-rated *cough* content in it?
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,358
0
0
eastinfecter said:
FargoDog said:
So.. They probably won't accept a fanfic about an obsessive WoW player who after a powercut takes to the streets looking for quests, and in the process kills several people for exp and loot, before attempting a raid on an orphanage and being gunned down?
any *cough* x-rated *cough* content in it?
No reason it couldn't be added, I suppose.