Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard

Have you ever wanted to visit the offices of Blizzard Entertainment to see where they make some of the most beloved computer games of all time? If you think you can write some great fanfiction, you just might have a shot.

I realize that I'm a lucky man. I've gotten to nerd Paradise on Earth [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94044-BlizzCon-09-Behind-Blizzards-Walls]. Even if you don't like Blizzard's games, the place just has so much awesome behind closed doors that I can't imagine any gamer wouldn't want to visit.

Well, now you have your chance [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/writing2010/]. Blizzard is holding a reprise of its 2009 fiction contest this year, asking contestants to submit a short story (2,500 - 7,500 words) set in the Diablo, Warcraft, or StarCraft universes.

One lucky winner will be flown to Irvine, California, where they'll get a tour of the Blizzard offices and meet the people who write the actual fiction that goes into the games - as well as get their choice of a Frostmourne [http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=8023], the Lich King's blade.

The rules and further details are on the Blizzard site, as are last year's winners [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/contests/writing/]. Either way, it's a cool offer - and people said that your fanfiction wouldn't ever get you anywhere!

As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you.

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
"As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you."

Indeed.
However, I'll be submitting my own within a couple of days, so here's hoping my salute gets me extra props ;)

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Once upon a time in the World of Warcraft there was an Orc called Blork. He was a particularly fat and ugly orc but that didn't stop him making an effort to dress to impress.

He was happy enough in the World of Warcraft doing whatever people do there, I don't know, but one day a strange human recruitment agent approached him with a proposition.

"Why don't you come with me in this glass elevator and leave this world behind. Ahead of you lies a promising career in chartered accountancy. Far away from the mundane World of Warcraft."

Blork considered his options then entered the glass lift and spent many years mastering the arts of double entry book keeping until one day he fell into an open manhole which somehow returned him to the World of Warcraft. He was disappointed as there was no need for accountants in this world so felt like the time he spent mastering his trade was wasted. Later he found out that the World of Warcraft was actually all about numbers and stuff so there is some sort of happy ending to this tale.

Fin.

Can I has my free holiday now?

Taco of flames

May 30, 2009
Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
MorteSphere said:
One thousand vile sex fanfictions later:

"This was a ugly mistake."

And they only have themselves to blame I predict lot of Alternate universe/Cross-over Andariel/Kerrigan Yuri Fics with illustrations

100% Nightmare fuel

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Taco of flames said:
Man, if I thought I had a chance at this, I would be all over it. I do have some friends who do fanfiction, though, maybe I should ask them if they're interested...
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Wow, to be honest I didn't expect it to be open to people outside the US. I might actually take a shot at this. Not that I'm anywhere near good enough a writer for something like this, but you miss 100% of the shots you never take, right?
Nonsense you two. I majored in creative writing and I don't think I have a shot. I'm sure everyone thinks they don't have a shot, but someone has to win. You should give it your all anyway. I'm certainly going to. Just the possiblity of winning this is worth it.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaallly sorry for the people who have to judge this contest.
Expect a large number of them to quit Blizzard and become anti internet lobbyists...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I'd probably embarass myself badly if I ever went to Blizzard's offices, but I have always wanted to try my hand at writing. Sadly my grasp of english isn't that great.

Who knows maybe I will ensure my eternal fame by failing so spectacularly that my work becomes as well known as "My Immortal"

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

Probably the best, bad work of fanfiction ever. :)

I know, I know, it's the dream of many bad wannabee writers.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
...People... Outside... Of the US... Can... Enter? I... I don't know what this emotion is, I haven't felt it in so long!

Right... TO WORD!

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Taco of flames said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Nonsense you two. I majored in creative writing and I don't think I have a shot. I'm sure everyone thinks they don't have a shot, but someone has to win. You should give it your all anyway. I'm certainly going to. Just the possiblity of winning this is worth it.
That's... kinda.... exactly what I was saying.