Write Epic Fanfiction, Win a Trip to Blizzard

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, well I'd probably embarrass myself badly if I ever went to Blizzard's offices, but I have always wanted to try my hand at writing. Sadly my grasp of english isn't that great.

Who knows maybe I will ensure my eternal fame by failing so spectacularly that my work becomes as well known as "My Immortal"

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/My_Immortal

Probably the best, bad work of fanfiction ever. :)

I know, I know, it's the dream of many bad wannabee writers.
Therumancer. You write half page paragraphs and more on just about everything you debate seriously. -_^ And, I don't think I've noticed anything in the way of failure in the English language on your part.

Of course, you could just be sitting on a pile of sarcasm right there. If you think you're going to fail, what chance have the rest of us? xD

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Oh to be a fly on the wall wherever the judges will be reading these. I wonder how many Illidan/Arthas' they'll get.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
jamesworkshop said:
And they only have themselves to blame I predict lot of Alternate universe/Cross-over Andariel/Kerrigan Yuri Fics with illustrations

100% Nightmare fuel
If that's the stuff of nightmares, then I don't wanna dream. xP

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Blizzard, why do you keep doing this to me? Why do you open a fan fiction contest in which I would love to participate, but can't beacuse my country is not eligible? And to make matters worse, I can't participate through someone else either. =(

IMrAngryPantsI

Jun 8, 2009
Damn my awful writing skills. If I submit a picture of a banana wearing earrings can I get a "mercy" trip to blizzard?

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Temping, but since I have never played any of their games, despite getting Diablo as a give many years ago, I have nothing at all to draw upon for a story. I mean, absolutely nothing. I would probably put Drow in it when they have... some other kind of evil elf type thing. So I would write a generic fantasy story and just google up references to their game world. It would be the most pathetic thing I have ever done. And then even if I won I wouldn't go because why would I want to? I don't play their games.

Still tempting just to see if I could cobble up a shitty, shitty story.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I am sure some gems will shine through...but...so much crap that is going to come through on it too...will be so rediculous!

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
vivadelkitty said:
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!
Read the FAQ, they won't count actual in-game happenings as literal fiction:

Q: My entry is more of a moment-by-moment account of what my character does in-game. Is that okay?
A: We're looking for complete literary works of short fiction based on the Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo franchise. Accounts of in-game events or works that detail game mechanics are not literary fiction. Again, we highly encourage you to take a look at last year's winners for guidance.
[hr]

That being said! I'm going to enter this with a StarCraft story, but I'll have to do my research! Oh god, help my pen...

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Wonder how many slash fics they recieved?

"And then the mighty Tauren looked down at his gnome compatriot, new feelings were stirring up inside him..."

Hmm, I'm kinda good at this.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
As for the Blizzard judges? Well, those who are about to read a lot of really crappy fanfiction? We salute you.
If they weren't ready to take the bad together with the good, then there shouldn't have been a contest to begin with. So screw it I say - let 'em see ALL that they have inspired heheh.

Having said that, there is also plenty of good fanfiction too. And Blizzard's universes have the potential to inspire such just as well as the bad.

vivadelkitty

Dec 21, 2008
Orange_Clockwork said:
vivadelkitty said:
*rifles through his guild's forum RP* Hmm...well, a little polish, and this should work fine. Finally, an appeal to roleplayers! Thank you, Blizzard!
Read the FAQ, they won't count actual in-game happenings as literal fiction:

Q: My entry is more of a moment-by-moment account of what my character does in-game. Is that okay?
A: We're looking for complete literary works of short fiction based on the Warcraft, StarCraft, or Diablo franchise. Accounts of in-game events or works that detail game mechanics are not literary fiction. Again, we highly encourage you to take a look at last year's winners for guidance.
[hr]

That being said! I'm going to enter this with a StarCraft story, but I'll have to do my research! Oh god, help my pen...
Except...it's not an account of in-game occurences. That's why it's on a forum, because that allows for things you can't do in-game. The only in-game tie is the character name, the rest is well, a story.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I tried to beef up an old kids story I wrote for my step daughter when she was little, but I could only get it up to 1200 words before it felt bloated. Maybe I'll work more on it later.

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
I am certainly going to enter. There are two boxes to check on the submission page

[ ] I am already a published author.
[ ] I am interested in a career in writing.

I am a creative writing student in college at the moment, so I have no published works... Imagine this was an opportunity for Blizz to hire the winner? Holy shit that would be amazing. Meeting Metzen and Samwise would be amazing. The grand prize description implies you can eat with them. God having lunch with them would be thrilling... Imagine working alongside them...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Time to write an epic crossover sexy story! And keep in my personal vault. They want my stories but they're MINE

Zanez said:
I am certainly going to enter. There are two boxes to check on the submission page

I am a creative writing student in college at the moment, so I have no published works... Imagine this was an opportunity for Blizz to hire the winner? Holy shit that would be amazing. Meeting Metzen and Samwise would be amazing. The grand prize description implies you can eat with them. God having lunch with them would be thrilling... Imagine working alongside them...
That might also be just a marketing thing though. (How many of the people who took this contest take writing seriously?) At least there's some mention of a previous contest, did its winner get hired?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
canadamus_prime said:
I feel reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaallly sorry for the people who have to judge this contest.
Expect a large number of them to quit Blizzard and become anti internet lobbyists...
Or to sue Blizzard for inhumane working conditions.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
People can already get jobs drawing the video games they like, playing the video games they like, ranting on the video games they like, making detailed instructions regarding the games they like, now they can make money making Fan Fictions about them too?

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
successfully combine star craft and diablo and then I think they won... remember I said SUCCESSFULLY. or just write some story about an orc who rises up from slavery blah blah blah fights a dragon blah blah blah actually was the evil human blah blah blah then frees his kind blah blah blah then that dragon had friends blah blah blah epic fight scene the end.

Zanez said:

you scare me but then again I've seen scarier fan boys like, valve fan boys. oh and because I quoted this I should probably say good luck don't lose and order soup.