Writers Guild 2012 Best Game Writing Nominees Disappoint

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
columbianbacon said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
That is a travesty. Seeing games like Portal 2, Catherine, and The Witcher 2 (haven't played it, but I've heard excellent things about the writing) get passed up completely in favor of games like Brink? Maybe they should just look over every game by themselves (like everyone else does), that way they aren't a laughing stock.
The Witcher could be disqualified since it is based off of a book.
I thought the book was based off the game...

I might be mixed up though, but the book reads a lot like a game...

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
>.> The Witcher was based off of a -series- of books.
A big popular series long before the games were released.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Mortal Kombat, what are you doing on a list of non-awful writing?

Get out of there so someone who actually deserves that spot can have it.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I think Brink deserves the win. It was flawlessly paced and the character interactions were very intense, felt real. And the finale was breathtaking.

"Disappoint" doesn't seem to be the proper term. I'd go with "baffle".

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Smiles said:
columbianbacon said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
That is a travesty. Seeing games like Portal 2, Catherine, and The Witcher 2 (haven't played it, but I've heard excellent things about the writing) get passed up completely in favor of games like Brink? Maybe they should just look over every game by themselves (like everyone else does), that way they aren't a laughing stock.
The Witcher could be disqualified since it is based off of a book.
I thought the book was based off the game...

I might be mixed up though, but the book reads a lot like a game...
The game's credits clearly state "The Witcher game is based on the prose of Andrzej Sapkowski".

And Wikipedia says [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher#The_books] he wrote the series of books set in that universe in the 90's.
thanks! I don't know why anyone would make a game out of such a mediocre book though...

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
BIG Mortal Kombat fan here, MK9 was one of my top 5 games of 2011 too.

But it should NOT be in the running for most well-written game of the year. I'm surprised Catherine wasn't nominated, too.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
brink?!?!? Mortal Kombat??!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!? Good story? Really...*Laughs* With these nominees I now know these guild are a joke... and not to be taken to seriously...

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]The clue is really in the name.

The Writer's Guild of America...

Yeah there definitely the experts on the subject....
Says the fellow who can't use the appropriate their/there/they're for the given context.

Don't throw rocks in glass houses bro.

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
Brink and Mortal kombat, hope someone's having a joke at my expense and Portal 2 is included in there.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
HobbesMkii said:
A good writer can seamlessly weave action, backstory, and exposition in with narrative. An excellent writer knows when they should put "Fatality" across the screen in blood.
I nominate you for a position with the guild. In one sentence you did something truly amazing.

I should probably post something on topic, or interesting now. But really I just wanted to say good job.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I don't need to say anything else but this.

A list of games with good writing and Catherine is nowhere to be found. This is a sad day.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The writing in Uncharted 3 was the weakest part of the game and much worse than in 1 and 2. => The award show is invalid

Aeonknight said:
Sandor [The Hound said:

Says the fellow who can't use the appropriate their/there/they're for the given context.

On the other hand when your house has produced Shakespeare, Dickens, Conan-Doyle, Jane Austen, Agathie Christie, HG Wells ...

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I can see how the entire plotline of the AC series might be good writing. I haven't played Revelations but I doubt it does anything ungodly better than the others. MK has to be the big shocker unless they did something different this time, which I doubt. Arkham City I haven't played. Portal 2 had some good writing, the Cave Johnson stuff was funny but it was more about the inventive gameplay. Saints Row always has good dialogue, even if they screwed everything else up this time.

Personally, I am glad Skyrim isn't on there. Despite having a good atmosphere, I don't think any of the writing is good. The arrow to the knee thing was never funny to me, the shouts that people repeat seem stupid. Some of the storys could be good if I were intrigued.

Mortal Kombat...really?

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Portal 2 isn't on this list - That makes me very happy.

And Brink is. I think that's deserved. Brink did have good writing, it was just buried away.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
BrotherRool said:
The writing in Uncharted 3 was the weakest part of the game and much worse than in 1 and 2. => The award show is invalid

Aeonknight said:
Sandor [The Hound said:

On the other hand when your house has produced Shakespeare, Dickens, Conan-Doyle, Jane Austen, Agathie Christie, HG Wells ...
Completely irrelevant.

I know how much everyone loves to poke fun at American stupidity (and articles like this don't help), but if you're going to call someone out when the subject is writing, it'd be best to make sure you have your T's crossed and I's dotted yourself.