WTF is Black Mirror and Why Should I Care?

4RM3D

New member
May 10, 2011
1,738
0
0
Recently I have been posting more actively on The Escapist and, well... Captcha is scaring me. See image below.



Not only that, but I keep getting Black Mirror stuff. Like asking when is the next episode. I have had well over 9 Black Mirror things even when reloading Captcha. It just won't stop. I smell camouflaged advertising. And damn, the image above is disturbing.

Uhm, how about you guys?
 

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
4,797
0
0
Yeah, I'm the same with the Black Mirror stuff =P It's not just that picture but also "What show is premièring Feb 11 on Channel 4? comes up rather frequently as well.

It's actually rather funny the amount they both come up now.

Although in all fairness, it isn't really camoflagued. Most of it is just advertising. Escapist has to make money, and ad-captchas are one way of doing that that isn't too annoying compared to other ways.

EDIT: Ooooh, it's written by Charlie Brooker. I may well have to watch this then. Well played, captcha.
 

Darken12

New member
Apr 16, 2011
1,061
0
0
I keep getting brands I've never seen in my life, and asking me to describe them in one word. I always pick a colour in the brand logo and go with it.

The Captcha is so delightfully weird in this website. I frankly like it.
 

Nouw

New member
Mar 18, 2009
15,615
0
0
Getting memories of a particular animated horror-short that was posted here. It terrified me >.>. Thank god I don't get captchas...
 

Rylot

New member
May 14, 2010
1,819
0
0
Darken12 said:
I keep getting brands I've never seen in my life, and asking me to describe them in one word. I always pick a colour in the brand logo and go with it.
I always type 'Fucker' when I get the option to describe things in captcha. I get why the escapist has adverts and why it has captcha but it's always nice to stick it to the Man/word recognition software.

OT: Judging by the Channel 4 thing and the fact that I've not seen anything about it I'm going to guess it's a British show on channel 4. We in the states have different channels depending on who your cable provider is so we go by the broadcast company's name ie: CBS, FOX, AMC etc.
 

Darken12

New member
Apr 16, 2011
1,061
0
0
Rylot said:
I always type 'Fucker' when I get the option to describe things in captcha. I get why the escapist has adverts and why it has captcha but it's always nice to stick it to the Man/word recognition software.
That never occurred to me. That is an excellent idea. Thanks!
 

PinkiePyro

New member
Sep 26, 2010
1,121
0
0
I mostly get ads for cars in captcha..

the most annoying ads we get have got to be those weird pop-up ones the x is too small and they sneak up on you
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
Yeah I've been getting those exact ads too. I know the Escapist is a business and all but I think that ads is abit forced (seriously, you gonna get me to type out that show name and to choose the correct aired date in the captcha?).
 

Doclector

New member
Aug 22, 2009
5,010
0
0
This is actually one of the only advert captchas I welcomed. Not only is the advert incredibly creepy, which I approve of, it informed me about series two of black mirror, which I didn't know about thanks to the fact that it has been at least a year since I last bothered buying a TV magazine.

Black mirror is the excellent British series written by Charlie Brooker of newswipe and Dead Set, which was about the zombie apocalypse from the eyes of the contestants of Big Brother, and was utterly fucking excellent. Black mirror itself is an incredibly dark satire series about the effect of technology and the media on our everyday lives.

The first series, of only three episodes, contained an episode in which a hostage taker has an unusual request; that the prime minister must fuck a pig on live television, an episode set in a dystopian future in which people are completely dependant on technology and compete in a talent competition that completely exploits its contestants with utterly nightmarish consequences, and the third episode dealt with a technology that records literally everything that you do, say, and see, and the terrible effects such a thing could have on people.


Personally, I can't wait.
 

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
2,842
0
0
TopazFusion said:
Captcha keeps asking me if I shop at Canadian Tire.

I don't even live in Canada!
......are you sure? Illuminati agents have been dispatched to your location to begin your re-education Wow, that is such a weird coinkydink! Nothing wrong here!
 

NightmareExpress

New member
Dec 31, 2012
546
0
0
I'd rather have the disguised advertisement questions/descriptors than some of the barely legible shit that captcha is capable of sharting out. Hate that stuff.

Black Mirror is alright.
I guess "interesting" would be the best way to describe it.
 

Launcelot111

New member
Jan 19, 2012
1,254
0
0
As far as I know, it's a decent Arcade Fire song. I don't follow British television very closely
 

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
4,771
1
0
Doclector said:
This is actually one of the only advert captchas I welcomed. Not only is the advert incredibly creepy, which I approve of, it informed me about series two of black mirror, which I didn't know about thanks to the fact that it has been at least a year since I last bothered buying a TV magazine.

Black mirror is the excellent British series written by Charlie Brooker of newswipe and Dead Set, which was about the zombie apocalypse from the eyes of the contestants of Big Brother, and was utterly fucking excellent. Black mirror itself is an incredibly dark satire series about the effect of technology and the media on our everyday lives.

The first series, of only three episodes, contained an episode in which a hostage taker has an unusual request; that the prime minister must fuck a pig on live television, an episode set in a dystopian future in which people are completely dependant on technology and compete in a talent competition that completely exploits its contestants with utterly nightmarish consequences, and the third episode dealt with a technology that records literally everything that you do, say, and see, and the terrible effects such a thing could have on people.


Personally, I can't wait.
Great 9/11 imagery there with the people being swallowed up by the smoke.
 

ArnRand

New member
Mar 29, 2012
180
0
0
If you haven't already, go watch Black Mirror on 4oD. One of the best bits of british telly for a while in my opinion. (no idea if americans can get 4oD, apologies if you can't!)