WWE Superstar Attacks Audience

Feb 13, 2008
WWE Superstar Attacks Audience

Real, fake or staged? That's the debate over WWE Superstar Chris Jericho's violent altercation with a female fan.

Jericho had just lost a Raw Live WWE bout and was driving off in his Chevy Tahoe, while the fans heckled.

It's thought that one fan ran out as Jericho stopped for a stop sign and started banging away on the roof. At this point 50 other fans crowded the car, blocking all movement along the road in both directions. There were no police and only a few low level security people around.

Jericho got out of the truck, but from there, reports vary wildly.

According to one witness, Jericho had the car door slammed on him, so he punched that guy, whose his friend jumped into the fray. They scuffled and the second guy's girlfriend jumped in as well, and only at this point do the security guards wade over.

Jericho then spits in the girls face, and swears at her. She returns volley. He tries to get back in his car but two guys shove his head into the car roof. Then he snaps.

A WWE-style brawl breaks out with fists and swearwords flying everywhere (though with no Lionsaults [http://www.ringinsider.com/wrestlingmedia/photos/gifs/lionsault3.gif]), and with Jericho screaming at the guards to get the police down here and to do their job.

And then the original girl leaps at him, so Jericho turns and punches her out. This stunned everyone, and the girl's friends ended up jumping in trying to fight Jericho. He fought all of them off, then stormed into his vehicle swearing and sped off, running a stop sign in the process.

According to police, there was an "altercation" but Jericho left before they could question him. They still haven't managed to contact him, but two "fans" were taken into custody before being released without charge.

According the the WWE, Jericho was physically and verbally assaulted by a "mob" when he was leaving the studio, although a spokesman has also rejected claims that Jericho had punched the woman, as the term was "too extreme."

One thing that will weigh heavily on the WWE is its trademark of mixing reality with fiction (known as Kayfabe [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe]). We'll just have to see how it all turns out.

Source: The Canadian Press [http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gD3Yf0JFWcmwC7P7wtSPKUlCTosw]

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
That's good camerawork for a mobile phone, gets a clear shot, good sound and everything...
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I vote for publicity stunt because the 'shakycam' style looks 'professional'.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
That, and even if the bloody Undertaker was attacked by a mob, he'd likely go down. People don't really realize just how hard fighting is.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
the way it was filmed would most likely make it true, and i like chris jherico i wonder if he is going to go to jail or get sued for what he did, but from what it looked like the people were trying to beat him up so he acted out of self defense, either way

PieMaker

Oct 7, 2008
TheDean said:
Actually, i think it's pretty much been concluded that this was real.
I dunno, i still think it's a stunt, based on the fact that his storyline in wwe right now is seeking hatred from fans and other wrestlers. Bad publicity is good publicity, right? Don't you love 'manly' soap operas?

T-Blade

Jun 12, 2008
I read up about this and there's no way that he should get sued he was provoked and he fought back.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Well it looks like the crowd started it. I must say that the quality of the "camera phone" is rather suspect, but this doesn't really look like it was planned or was a work.

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
If it was planned, ignore this post.

If it was genuine, how stupid are these people? Shove a wrestler? That's like punching Mike Tyson. You just don't do it. It's against the law or something.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Looks real to me. Pro wrestling "badness" is usually so cartoonish that it's impossible to mistake for the real thing. People sometimes forget that.

On the other hand, the Magnificent Muraco never would have put up with that kind of shit. He would've kicked every ass in the crowd before he got back into his car.

goater24

Feb 5, 2008
I think jericho response was fine for someone who'd just been spat at. It looks like a set up in regards to the antognists talknig a couple of times before said altercation. They got what they deserved the utter fools.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
These guys put up with a ton of heckling all the time, for many years in the case of Chris Jericho. I can start to see why people might think it was arranged, you don't hear about wrestlers fighting with their fans all that often.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Here's why I think it's part of the act:

1. It's daytime. This was supposedly after an event, and they are, to my knowledge, all held at night. (Unless I misunderstood the timing of the supposed incident.)

2. The picture and sound are WAY too good for someone who just happened to be there.

3. Jericho has been doing this a very, very long time. While it's certainly possible that anyone could snap, I find it very unlikely that, if this were real, he'd have gotten out of the car in the first place.

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
Milkman Dan said:
These guys put up with a ton of heckling all the time, for many years in the case of Chris Jericho. I can start to see why people might think it was arranged, you don't hear about wrestlers fighting with their fans all that often.
Yea, after all these years, and this one of the first "incidents". i happened across the show a few years back, and they had two wrestlers that were of "middle eastern" decent and they were obviously playing off the redneck paranoia, "they hate us for our freedom" bullshit, wouldn't it make more sense if fans were going to attack, they do it out of bigotry or something a little more concrete than "jericho insulted me"? all heels do that. why not attack every wrestler that leaves a building then? i vote staged.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Here's why I think it's part of the act:

1. It's daytime. This was supposedly after an event, and they are, to my knowledge, all held at night. (Unless I misunderstood the timing of the supposed incident.)

2. The picture and sound are WAY too good for someone who just happened to be there.

3. Jericho has been doing this a very, very long time. While it's certainly possible that anyone could snap, I find it very unlikely that, if this were real, he'd have gotten out of the car in the first place.
1) I used to enjoy the whole WWF/WWE thing, and I've been to a few events; some events are taped beforehand and played later. If the show in question was supposed to be live, it would certainly seem like a slip up on their part. Then again if it's supposed to be live for 8PM EST showing, and it's in California, it may have been filmed during the day.

2) Not really, I've seen pretty good camera and sound footage from cellphone cameras. Try looking up Aaron Lewis playing "massachusets' on youtube. Some have both pretty good audio and video, though they tend to favor one or the other.

3) That's really the best argument for it. If it were real he most certainly would have just drove off.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Im not convinced. But if real, my belief that WWE fans who actually go to watch the wrestling have cretin level IQs is a lil bit reinforced. What did that girl expect a pissed off musclehead to do when she grabbed at his back?

Also liked how the "security" guards were all fatasses :D

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci1ww2k2fa8 Read the youtube "more info". I think it's fake.

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Everything about WWE is fake, including this.

/ignorance
/stereotype

... but so true!