X-Com series getting new, strategy focused game. Being developed by Firaxis.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
This month's cover of GI reveals that there is a new X-Com game in the works. A strategy one. Being developed by Firaxis. Guess whining about stuff on the internet does work after all. XD

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

EDIT: Hm.. I would have thought this news would have gotten more replies by now. Oh well.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
I don't know about this, it probably will end up not living up to expectations. I guess if they mess up, there is always Xenonauts which is looking pretty great. I just hope 2K doesn't try and stop it from happening this late into development (most likely will never happen).

http://www.xenonauts.com/

For those interested.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Super excited at Firaxis developing it. Out of all modern developers they're very familiar with Turn Based Strategy games.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Firaxis eh? That works. I'm eager to learn more about it, can't wait to see what they do with the franchise.

If nothing else at least that abysmal shooter thing they're calling an X-Com game has brought out all the fans of the originals and prompted not only Xenonauts but renewed interest in the genre with indie devs all the more eager to fill the niche with their own spins on the formula. I'm just sad UFO: The Two Sides was cancelled, that was shaping up to be an excellent experience.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
A new X-Com game with actual Turn based combat ???

Idk about this "real-time strategic view" though. Wtf does that even mean ?

Is Sid Meier behind this project ?
From what I can gather, ol' Sid is involved with this project. Not sure with to what degree (he could just be an executive producer, or something similar), but it looks like he is involved somehow.

I would suspect that the "real-time strategic view" is similar to Valkyria Chronicles. Not entirely sure though.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Anthraxus said:
A new X-Com game with actual Turn based combat ???

Idk about this "real-time strategic view" though. Wtf does that even mean ?

Is Sid Meier behind this project ?
From what I can gather, ol' Sid is involved with this project. Not sure with to what degree (he could just be an executive producer, or something similar), but it looks like he is involved somehow.

I would suspect that the "real-time strategic view" is similar to Valkyria Chronicles. Not entirely sure though.
"real-time strategic view" sounds to me like a description of the geoscape of the original X-Com. I interpret it as having similar gameplay outside missions as most of the X-Coms.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
If this is legit then colour me impressed.

I had such fun with Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse, then just looking at the previews for the "reboot" made my heart sink. If this can reproduce even a little bit of the old school magic it will be awesome.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Firaxis on the job? Despite the apparently mediocre reception of stronghold 3 (ain't bought it myself yet, was scared off by so many negative reviews and reports of bugs that i figured i'd wait a while) their history in strategy games is a long and honorable service record, so this is promising.

Sid is with them? Well, now i'm really curious as to see the results.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
This month's cover of GI reveals that there is a new X-Com game in the works. A strategy one. Being developed by Firaxis. Guess whining about stuff on the internet does work after all. XD

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/01/05/february-cover-revealed-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx

EDIT: Hm.. I would have thought this news would have gotten more replies by now. Oh well.
Im a big X-Com fan and if they follow the basic forumla that the old games followed I think it will turn out great. For those that dont know there is also a game called Xenonaughts being developed by an indie company. The nice thing is you can pay up front for the beta and you will get a full release copy when it goes on steam (although I wish they would give me a physical copy) and theyve said that the beta price will be cheaper then the release price. Ive bought it and its pretty awesome for what its trying to be but I can see how newer gamers unfamiliar with the X-Com games might not like the tactical choices. You can check it out here if youre interested: http://www.xenonauts.com/

Unfortunately I know nothing about this new X-Com. We dont know if its a remake or a brand new plot to add to Enemy unknown, Terror from the deep, and apocolypse. As forumulatic as the X-Com games were I think they have to work really hard to screw up a new one but you never know. Complacency and disinterest can go a long way to making a bad game

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
I still prefer UFO: Alien Invasion that you can find here for FREE !

it's in 3D still in constant updating, but it's very playable and has lots of things to be praised about. Of course, since it's a bunch of guys doing the whole thing, it's obviously not the best game graphically, but in terms of Gameplay it has features inspired from the XCom series, and some of it's own original design.

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/News