X-Men: Apocalypse Reviews are coming in... dammit FOX!

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
I was actually a little surprised to see reviews popping up already since it doesn't come out until the end of the month and I hadn't heard anything about preview screenings this far out. But what I am more surprised by is that it apparently isn't very good. With only 24 reviews in so far, so admittedly there's a chance of it turning around, X-Men 6... X-Men Volume 2, episode 3?... is currently sitting with a 43% Tomatometer score, and an average review rating of 5.4/10. For comparison's sake, that is only a .5 higher average score than Dawn of Justice.

The turgid world-endangering plot points to yet another sequel, offering little reason to believe any of the loud action truly matters.
Easily the worst "team" X-MEN movie ever made. Makes X-MEN: THE LAST STAND look like X-MEN: FIRST CLASS.
The continuity in X-Men: Apocalypse is even more of a nightmare than the continuity in X-Men comics.
Even the positive reviews seem to be coming off as backhanded compliments.

Some of our favourite characters are wasted in the charge to reinvigorate the X-Men franchise yet again. The weakest of Singer's recent trilogy, but not without its engaging moments.
For all its failings, including the crime of not being exhilarating, X-Men: Apocalypse remains a competent sci-fi actioner.
X-Men: Apocalypse huffs and puffs a little, appearing less mutant and more human, but it's still damn fun.
Well color me disappointed. Despite the laughable costume of Apocalypse and the nightmare continuity issues I had faith that Singer would be able to pull the movie off as he had been able to do with this franchise so many times before.

But I guess it's not too big a loss, since we pretty much expected a new reboot series after this end of a second trilogy. Maybe they can get back to doing stories in the present day, and use the Deadpool movie as a jumping off point for a new continuity, focusing on the X-Men being adults, with the occasional new kid added to the mix. Already have a pretty spot on Colossus cast. Maybe not focusing on Magneto as the bad guy in every film would be a good change too. And proper goddamn costumes for that matter.

Anyways, what are you guys thinking? Was this your expectation or are you surprised too? Do you care at all about the reviews or are you just as excited as ever to see it? And before the conspiracies start up about critics hating anything not from Marvel Studios, Days of Future Past has a 91% Tomatometer score. My main takeaway? No more movies with Angel in it, apparently he's bad luck.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
That's a shame. I just saw the trailer in a theater and it made my scalp tingle just watching it.

Pretty good chance I'll see it anyway. Because I never learn.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
I'll probably wait for Netflix personally. I'm done with supporting mediocrity after the movie which shall not be named. I'd rather fans vote with their wallets for better representations of the characters we've loved for so long.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
mduncan50 said:
I was actually a little surprised to see reviews popping up already since it doesn't come out until the end of the month and I hadn't heard anything about preview screenings this far out. But what I am more surprised by is that it apparently isn't very good. With only 24 reviews in so far, so admittedly there's a chance of it turning around, X-Men 6... X-Men Volume 2, episode 3?... is currently sitting with a 43% Tomatometer score, and an average review rating of 5.4/10. For comparison's sake, that is only a .5 higher average score than Dawn of Justice.

The turgid world-endangering plot points to yet another sequel, offering little reason to believe any of the loud action truly matters.
Easily the worst "team" X-MEN movie ever made. Makes X-MEN: THE LAST STAND look like X-MEN: FIRST CLASS.
The continuity in X-Men: Apocalypse is even more of a nightmare than the continuity in X-Men comics.

Some of our favourite characters are wasted in the charge to reinvigorate the X-Men franchise yet again. The weakest of Singer's recent trilogy, but not without its engaging moments.
For all its failings, including the crime of not being exhilarating, X-Men: Apocalypse remains a competent sci-fi actioner.

X-Men: Apocalypse huffs and puffs a little, appearing less mutant and more human, but it's still damn fun.
Well color me disappointed. Despite the laughable costume of Apocalypse and the nightmare continuity issues I had faith that Singer would be able to pull the movie off as he had been able to do with this franchise so many times before.

But I guess it's not too big a loss, since we pretty much expected a new reboot series after this end of a second trilogy. Maybe they can get back to doing stories in the present day, and use the Deadpool movie as a jumping off point for a new continuity, focusing on the X-Men being adults, with the occasional new kid added to the mix. Already have a pretty spot on Colossus cast. Maybe not focusing on Magneto as the bad guy in every film would be a good change too. And proper goddamn costumes for that matter.

Anyways, what are you guys thinking? Was this your expectation or are you surprised too? Do you care at all about the reviews or are you just as excited as ever to see it? And before the conspiracies start up about critics hating anything not from Marvel Studios, Days of Future Past has a 91% Tomatometer score. My main takeaway? No more movies with Angel in it, apparently he's bad luck.
So? I only consider reviews as a rough idea of what to expect. Half-price Tuesdays make it a lot easier. It's been a long time since the last X-Men movie, it's not like they have to be automatically good.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Wait a minute...people expected this film to be good?

I mean, okay, rhetorical question, it's a superhero movie, they've somehow become the cultural zeitgeist, but as a layperson who's been exposed to the Apocalypse trailer more times than I care for while in the cinema, I've been left to go...what? Didn't the X-Men films start in a semi-serious manner as they explored, however clumsily, the prospect of mutants arising within human society and the social divisions that caused? Didn't this trilogy end with The Last Stand, a film that, however flawed, was at least interesting in regards to an examination of political, societal, and medical intervention in the subject? Didn't First Class at least have some charm to it as it played like sci-fi pulp of the era, inserting superpowers into the Cold War? Not that the films were ever deep per se, but they at least weren't brainless.

So how, I ask myself, did we reach the point where a film's defining plot point seems to be "purple guy wants to destroy the world because he's the tired, cliched trope of the world is broken, I will fix it by destroying everything?" Not that that can't be done well sometimes, but coupled with purple guy mixing with purple girl and explosions galore, was anyone expecting this to be good? Y'know, at least when Power Rangers did Ivan Ooze, it knew it was silly.

No doubt I'll be seen as a hater, but even by the standards of the X-Men films by themselves, they seem to have got louder, and dumber, and abandoned whatever strengths they had in favor of generic action setpieces. And even outside the Apocalypse trailer, I only have one word - "Deadpool."

Ugh.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Reed Spacer said:
mduncan50 said:

So? I only consider reviews as a rough idea of what to expect. Half-price Tuesdays make it a lot easier. It's been a long time since the last X-Men movie, it's not like they have to be automatically good.
It's only been 2 years. Or only a few months if you count Deadpool as X-Universe, which I'm still really not sure if Fox does or not.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
mduncan50 said:
And before the conspiracies start up about critics hating anything not from Marvel Studios, Days of Future Past has a 91% Tomatometer score.
Which is even higher than Civil War's 90%. You make a good point.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Huh. Sure am glad that our org didn't decide to do a block screening for this movie.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Toast B.C. said:
I'm still wondering how people can still think Olivia Munn is a decent actress. Ever since G4, she has been nothing but empty sex appeal. She's not good at any job she takes.
Yeah, I've never liked her either. Always came off as really fake to me tbh.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Toast B.C. said:
I'm still wondering how people can still think Olivia Munn is a decent actress. Ever since G4, she has been nothing but empty sex appeal. She's not good at any job she takes.
I think I've found photographic evidence showing why people like Olivia Munn.

She's like the real life version of those outrageous anime fan service characters. The one's who's panties are always showing and their breast weight 40 tons a piece. Not physically, of course, but the same in concept.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Still going to see it. I want to see how everything plays out and so far the trailers have made me interested in the movie.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I wasn't impressed by the trailer. Particularly the voice of Apocalypse didnt feel like it fit the gravitas for the character. This is the Apocalypse I here in my head...

Theres this deep "otherness" to him, which makes sense since hes like beyond everything. The guy in the trailer sounds like a normal dude.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
mduncan50 said:
...I had faith that Singer would be able to pull the movie off as he had been able to do with this franchise so many times before.
Erm... he has?

Because from where I'm standing the X-Men movies were only ever considered good enough by the already low standards of comic book movies in 2002 or whenever the first one came out.

This just sounds like another exercise in mediocrity in a series defined by mediocrity.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Michael Prymula said:
Zhukov said:
Because from where I'm standing the X-Men movies were only ever considered good enough by the already low standards of comic book movies in 2002 or whenever the first one came out.

This just sounds like another exercise in mediocrity in a series defined by mediocrity.
Not true, plenty of people consider them damn good films.
And plenty of people loved the Twilight films.

What's your point?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crap. I was really hoping they'd pull this one out.

AccursedTheory said:
That's a shame. I just saw the trailer in a theater and it made my scalp tingle just watching it.
Really? I admit I had a lot of hope for it, but it was mostly based on the momentum from the last two movies. I was all "well, First Class was enjoyable, and DOFP was pretty solid (plot holes aside), so...I want to see what's next."

But the trailers...ehhhhhhh....

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Maybe, hear me out here. Maybe we should just make the judgement ourselves about the movie. I am not saying to distrust the critics but mostly some play on nostalgia and the, "I wanted it this way" attitude.

If the movie is bad, by all means it stinks like a bowl of ****. I just feel that nowadays people read loads of reviews with different conflicting opinions and then get pt off by it. Heck I did that myself a lot in the past and then when I finally saw the movie, most of the time I liked it a lot and didn't see some of the things the critics were complaining about.

Shut Up, Para. No one cares what you think.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
All the examples in the OP seem to have (the most) issue with the story - which has been a mess since the third film so I can't exactly pretend to care. "Days of Future Past" was a colossal buildup of plotholes but I'd still say it was one of my favourite superhero films because it was compelling enough to let me see past that bullet-ridden monster of a story.

So I'll probably still see it. Heck I'd probably eventually watch it anyway because I have more faith in the X-Men films to be entertaining than their competition these days.