X-Men: Apocalypse Reviews are coming in... dammit FOX!

K12

Dec 28, 2012
That's a shame, I will admit that the the trailers didn't have me particularly enthusiastic with Bald McAvoy looking hilariously too serious and Sansa Stark's rather poor attempt to sound American.

This was kind of Fox's chance to de-clutter and reboot the X-Men films to make way for the next load of them.

So now apparently we've got 3 good ones (X2, First Class and Deadpool), 3 bad ones (Last Stand, Origins and Apocalypse) and 3 ok ones (X-Men, DoFP and Wolverine) which is a nice balance.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
K12 said:
That's a shame, I will admit that the the trailers didn't have me particularly enthusiastic with Bald McAvoy looking hilariously too serious and Sansa Stark's rather poor attempt to sound American.

This was kind of Fox's chance to de-clutter and reboot the X-Men films to make way for the next load of them.

So now apparently we've got 3 good ones (X2, First Class and Deadpool), 3 bad ones (Last Stand, Origins and Apocalypse) and 3 ok ones (X-Men, DoFP and Wolverine) which is a nice balance.
Oh please I hate First Class in fact I hate this First Class era of movies in general. I mean we downgraded from Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewert to these guys and Jennefer Lawrence Mystique is not as sexy as the actress that played her in the first 3 films

I thought Origins: Wolverine was ok people just complained about Deadpool's "characterization"

And really Its been a LONG TIME since I have seen Last Stand, just how bad was that movie?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If we're comparing X-Men films, I'm personally in the spot of having seen three average ones (X-Men 1, Last Stand, Deadpool), and one good one (First Class). Which isn't that dissimilar to my experience with the MCU (seen six average ones, two good ones), but at least better than the DCEU (one average, one bad).

And you wonder why I'm tired of superhero films. ;p

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Bring on the Warcraft movie. A medieval fantasy epic.

Something to wash the taste of Superhero movies.
Eh, I don't know. Fantasy, yes, medieval, no. And Warcraft has taken plenty of reference from superheroes before (e.g. Thrall and his powers over lightning are confirmed to have been inspired by Thor). I'm fairly confident that Warcraft will be an enjoyable, possibly average movie (which I can say for a few VG movies), but a good one? If you want a look at that record, Angry Birds currently has 53% on Rotten Tomatoes. By the site's metric, that makes it the highest rated VG movie in history. 0_0

I'll go back to saying "please don't suck, please don't suck" now. :(

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:

Eh, I don't know. Fantasy, yes, medieval, no. And Warcraft has taken plenty of reference from superheroes before (e.g. Thrall and his powers over lightning are confirmed to have been inspired by Thor). I'm fairly confident that Warcraft will be an enjoyable, possibly average movie (which I can say for a few VG movies), but a good one? If you want a look at that record, Angry Birds currently has 53% on Rotten Tomatoes. By the site's metric, that makes it the highest rated VG movie in history. 0_0

Clip from the movie:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/05/12/warcraft-lothar-and-his-soldiers-are-attacked-by-orcs-in-the-woods-clip

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:

So WoW: The Film is a palette cleanser for all these pesky superhero films. If you watch them all, that's your own fault for following the crowd/indulging, and if you don't - then you surely don't need a palette cleanser...

As for the film: not to sound like a broken record - a bitter one, at that - but sod all these X-Men films, frankly. Singer's first two films helped elevate comicbook films, but they were still crafted in an era where properties largely weren't taken seriously in terms of adaptations of arcs or long term shared universe plans, and it's been showing for absolutely years.

The franchise sprawls stupidly, cynically, desperately (an entire film had to be created to roll back some of X-3's damage), and messily across the older, lesser era of these kinds of films, and the post-Dark Knight and MCU era. The sooner it's killed off and the continuity completely restarted, the better. But of course as long as brainless fluff like DofP gets well recieved, the shambling mess will shamble forth until--- well, I don't know...

Still, with the MCU I'm spoilt, so I suppose I should really appreciate the good and just ignore the bad.

Mar 26, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
and Jennefer Lawrence Mystique is not as sexy as the actress that played her in the first 3 films
Rebecca Romijn. Few women are, so you can't necessarily hold that against her.

The thing that grinds my gears is how they elevate the character depending on the actor who plays them. Most of the X-men movie since the second one have been the Wolverine show. I was filthy how in Days Of Future Past both Professor X and Magneto, two of the most powerful mutants were like "only Wolverine can save us now". It made them look like chumps. Now you have Mystique being given mega importance because she's played by J-Law. I suppose the X-men movies aren't alone in this, but it seems to be more noticeable. You don't see Captain America: Civil War hinging around the importance of Falcon (no disrespect to Falcon, he's great).

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
K12 said:

My biggest fear with this is they'll do the same thing they did with the second trilogy. They'll intent to create a separate storyline/timeline then they'll find out Jackman is willing to come play Wolvie one more time and they'll bend movie space-time to try to match in up with another timeline it was never meant to interact with.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Hawki said:

Clip from the movie:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/05/12/warcraft-lothar-and-his-soldiers-are-attacked-by-orcs-in-the-woods-clip
Is it meant to be reassurance that it won't suck, or a statement that "look, it sucks!"?

That said, it, and the three other clips have got me excited. The specific clip shows combat between humans and orcs, and it nails it perfectly, harkening to the original Reign of Chaos intro in regards to how the two sides fare when pitted against each other. And the other clips show that, lo and behold, the dialogue and characterization is decent.

Oh, and Angry Birds is now at 58%. Nearly certified fresh. :)

Darth Rosenberg said:
So WoW: The Film is a palette cleanser for all these pesky superhero films. If you watch them all, that's your own fault for following the crowd/indulging, and if you don't - then you surely don't need a palette cleanser...
That's kind of a fair point, but even if you don't watch superhero films, you can't help but see them popping up everywhere. Same reason people will complain about the proliferation of Call of Duty, even if they've never played a CoD game.

And WoW may not be any better, despite my comments above. But it's hard to argue that there's a glut of VG or fantasy movies nowadays when compared to the proliferation of superhero ones. Which, for me, are mostly average, with the occasional good one. if that level of quality increased, I wouldn't mind so much.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Hawki said:
And WoW may not be any better, despite my comments above. But it's hard to argue that there's a glut of VG or fantasy movies nowadays when compared to the proliferation of superhero ones. Which, for me, are mostly average, with the occasional good one. if that level of quality increased, I wouldn't mind so much.
Yes, I am so thankful for the long history of quality films based on video games. o_O

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
mduncan50 said:
Hawki said:
Yes, I am so thankful for the long history of quality films based on video games. o_O
Um, what? I've pointed out that VG-based movies have a poor history. It's a lot of the reason why I'm being cautious about WoW, and why Angry Birds getting an RT score over 50% is a milestone, even when it's a pretty pitiful milestone when compared to movies in general.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
axlryder said:
Sorry, bud, but that's a swing and a miss.

No shit they're all different from her personality, but I never said she has the acting ability of Christopher Walken. My phrasing was specific. She's playing herself trying to act (like such and such a character). She mugs for the camera, she imitates, she has excellent screen presence, delivers high energy performances with a hint of subtlety, takes direction and pretty much does everything that a "good" movie star is supposed to do, but nothing about her performances really sells me that she is someone else or her character could be a real person (regardless of writing quality). She's in her own head. She's still very much "jennifer lawrence" and that comes through in her performances. As far as Hollywood goes, she's just dandy, but there's very little conviction or depth behind her acting, and without that it's all just smoke and mirrors. The main exception that I'm aware of being her role in Winter's Bone.

Like I said to the other guy, that's my view, and there are those who agree and disagree both with my assessment of her ability and my assessment of what it means to be a good actor, but that's not an argument I'm going to start right now because it will go in circles forever and has strayed very far from my original point which you simply misinterpreted and attacked me for (which seem to be a running trend with you).
the reason i disagree with your assessment is because your assessment is frequently made only in regards to A-list actors. ive heard the same argument numerous times about Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise etc. the one thing they all have in common is that they are so famous that their fame can overshadow their performances in the eyes of folks like yourself. you say Lawrence is "in her own head", when its far more likely that she is in your head. if you go into a movie thinking "I am watching really famous actor, So-and-So.", then there is nothing they can do to convince you that they are a character.

Lawrence has consistently been praised by other actors, directors, and hell, even editors, for what they call an effortless ability to get into character. she doesnt really rehearse, doesnt learn her lines until she is in the makeup trailer, and doesnt require any preparation before filming a scene. one thing that many colleagues have praised her for is her ability to basically just flip a switch when action is called. all of these things indicate the opposite of what you are suggesting, which is that she is consciously and meticulously thinking about every aspect of her performance as she acts.

TL;DR, you are projecting. big time. it is pretty common for people to do this with specific actors at the top of the A-list. i imagine its no coincidence that you cite her performance in Winter's Bone as an example of her supposedly not doing what you suggest she is doing, considering that film came out before she was an A-lister.

by the way, you must be really sensitive if you consider this an "attack".

edit - also, i looked again at the list of movies of hers that you provided, and it should be noted that nearly all of those characters involve the characters themselves acting in some way. maybe you failed to recognize this.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
mduncan50 said:
K12 said:

My biggest fear with this is they'll do the same thing they did with the second trilogy. They'll intent to create a separate storyline/timeline then they'll find out Jackman is willing to come play Wolvie one more time and they'll bend movie space-time to try to match in up with another timeline it was never meant to interact with.
That's a very real danger. Hugh Jackman's great and everything but Wolverine as a character works much better as a side character and he's really been done to death at this point... but he's marketable.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Vykrel said:
the reason i disagree with your assessment is because your assessment is frequently made only in regards to A-list actors. ive heard the same argument numerous times about Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Angelina Jolie, Tom Cruise etc. the one thing they all have in common is that they are so famous that their fame can overshadow their performances in the eyes of folks like yourself. you say Lawrence is "in her own head", when its far more likely that she is in your head. if you go into a movie thinking "I am watching really famous actor, So-and-So.", then there is nothing they can do to convince you that they are a character.

Lawrence has consistently been praised by other actors, directors, and hell, even editors, for what they call an effortless ability to get into character. she doesnt really rehearse, doesnt learn her lines until she is in the makeup trailer, and doesnt require any preparation before filming a scene. one thing that many colleagues have praised her for is her ability to basically just flip a switch when action is called. all of these things indicate the opposite of what you are suggesting, which is that she is consciously and meticulously thinking about every aspect of her performance as she acts.

TL;DR, you are projecting. big time. it is pretty common for people to do this with specific actors at the top of the A-list. i imagine its no coincidence that you cite her performance in Winter's Bone as an example of her supposedly not doing what you suggest she is doing, considering that film came out before she was an A-lister.

edit - also, i looked again at the list of movies of hers that you provided, and it should be noted that nearly all of those characters involve the characters themselves acting in some way. maybe you failed to recognize this.
See, this is the argument that I didn't want to have, because, as I said, it can go in circles forever. Yet here you are, trying to have it. A couple things you said I have hard counters to (further misinterpretation by you and disproving some of your claims) and others I have soft counters to (analytical interpretations and analysis, conjecture and claims of fallacious reasoning, etc.) and I'm sure we could go back and forth like that for (p)ages.

The best part is that you show an utter lack of grace in trying to make room for an opposing viewpoint because, I dunno. Is your pride wounded? Is that just your personality? Regardless, you have yet to acknowledge my original point was misinterpreted/misconstrued and you (by escapist standards) attacked me for it, and then conveniently glossed over the bit which explained said misinterpretation. Ah, but that might imply you acknowledge your own unnecessary aggression and fallibility. Sorry, you don't get to try and save face by moving the goalposts.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
Vykrel said:

To me, that just proves how Lawrence sleepwalks through so many of her roles. She's talented, yet puts in the bare-minimum of effort and you as an audience member can feel her disinterest in her star-making roles like Katniss and Mystique. Frankly, it's tedious when actors complain about having to endure the indignity of 4-6 hours of make-up, yet always manage to cash that million dollar check and ask for seconds.

What's the last great Jennifer Lawrence performance you can point to? Silver Linings Playbook where she was miscast as a widow a decade-plus older than herself?

She openly broadcasts her disinterest in, if not outright contempt for, the roles making up the most apparent bulk of her profile, filmography (The Hunger Games/ X-Men), and net worth resulting in dull, half-assed performances. It'd be at least understandable if she was suffering the Alec Guinness problem of "silly movies" overshadowing classic works like Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai, but even her latest serious movie by her muse O. Russell was a "comedy" (in the same way "The Martian" was too light to compete in the drama category) about a fucking mop.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
All this thread has done is make me miss Attack of the Show. Especially that period of time when both Olivia Munn and Sara Underwood were on it. Good times. Good times.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
JUMBO PALACE said:
All this thread has done is make me miss Attack of the Show. Especially that period of time when both Olivia Munn and Sara Underwood were on it. Good times. Good times.
Apparently it was good times because Jennifer Lawrence wasn't on there, because then it would have been the worst thing ever?

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
Dazzle Novak said:
What's the last great Jennifer Lawrence performance you can point to? Silver Linings Playbook where she was miscast as a widow a decade-plus older than herself?
there's another issue: people not understanding her characters... http://i.imgur.com/tacCZy4.jpg she was playing a character her own age in SLP. you would know this if you paid attention to the dialogue.

Dazzle Novak said:
She openly broadcasts her disinterest in, if not outright contempt for, the roles making up the most apparent bulk of her profile, filmography (The Hunger Games/ X-Men), and net worth resulting in dull, half-assed performances.
first part is an outright lie. second part again involves you not understanding her characters. Katniss is written as being emotionally-stunted in the books (meaning she doesnt show or understand emotion the way a normal person does), and Mystique was almost entirely emotionless in the original trilogy, which means she now has to try and emulate that, since that is what Bryan Singer wants. the difference between First Class Raven and DoFP Raven is staggering, due to the different choices in how her character was directed.

Dazzle Novak said:
It'd be at least understandable if she was suffering the Alec Guinness problem of "silly movies" overshadowing classic works like Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai, but even her latest serious movie by her muse O. Russell was a "comedy" (in the same way "The Martian" was too light to compete in the drama category) about a fucking mop.
what does that even have to do with anything?

honestly, this is what happens every time someone criticizes her performances. half of the dissenters suggest she over-acts and tries too hard, like the first dude i replied to, while the other half suggest she is disinterested or doesnt try at all, like yourself. these are polar opposite assessments, and neither of them even take into account how the characters are written. go back and watch an older performance of hers that is easier to comprehend.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Considering the whole 'Age of Apocalypse' story line has NEVER been very well done...
-Even the original comic run was rather...iffy.

What did you, really, expect?