X-Men: Apocalypse Reviews are coming in... dammit FOX!

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Tanis said:
Considering the whole 'Age of Apocalypse' story line has NEVER been very well done...
-Even the original comic run was rather...iffy.

What did you, really, expect?
I personally thought that AoA was the best comic event series of the 90s, however that would have been nearly impossible to pull off as a movie because it would mean complicating a timeline that already makes no sense with these movies. Not to mention that key people like Cable haven't even been introduced yet, and all the people the audiences do know would be cast as fundamentally different characters.

All that being said, they're not even trying to do Age of Apocalypse, it's just the intro of the character and a standard good guys v bad guys battle.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zhukov said:
mduncan50 said:
...I had faith that Singer would be able to pull the movie off as he had been able to do with this franchise so many times before.
Erm... he has?

Because from where I'm standing the X-Men movies were only ever considered good enough by the already low standards of comic book movies in 2002 or whenever the first one came out.

This just sounds like another exercise in mediocrity in a series defined by mediocrity.
Thaaaaaank you. People like to dump on X3, but X-Men 2 and 1 weren't much better. They were pretty poorly written with Batman and Robin style puns.

Storm: What happens when lightning hits a toad?"
Toad: (looks worried)
Storm: The same thing that happens to everything else.

What a gem.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
This is the inherent problem with all Superhero movies they cant have one great/amazing movie and be done with it. Or even several ones. No they have to keep rebooting keep making more and more and more. I don't know when or if it will ever come but I cant wait for the big superhero movie bust.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Quick update here, the film is actually clawing it's way up to Fresh currently now sitting at 59% on the Tomatometer. Still only sitting at an average of 5.8/10 so either the people that like it don't like it THAT much or the people that don't like it REALLY don't like it, or a mix of the two. Critic consensus is up as well:

Overloaded action and a cliched villain take the focus away from otherwise strong performers and resonant themes, making X-Men: Apocalypse a middling chapter of the venerable superhero franchise.
Don't think I'll be changing my mind about waiting for it to come to Netflix, but it will definitely bode well for Fox and their mutant friends if they can make that green tomato turn red.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
mduncan50 said:
Don't think I'll be changing my mind about waiting for it to come to Netflix, but it will definitely bode well for Fox and their mutant friends if they can make that green tomato turn red.
Wait...that's a tomato?

Crikey, I thought it was meant to be lettuce all this time. 0_0

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
mduncan50 said:
Quick update here, the film is actually clawing it's way up to Fresh currently now sitting at 59% on the Tomatometer. Still only sitting at an average of 5.8/10 so either the people that like it don't like it THAT much or the people that don't like it REALLY don't like it, or a mix of the two. Critic consensus is up as well:

Overloaded action and a cliched villain take the focus away from otherwise strong performers and resonant themes, making X-Men: Apocalypse a middling chapter of the venerable superhero franchise.
Why is it that this one website is the one that matters most then IMDB and Metacritic?

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
mduncan50 said:

Why is it that this one website is the one that matters most then IMDB and Metacritic?
Well IMDB has a score of 8.3/10 from two thousand people that have not seen the movie yet, and Metacritic with an average score of 5.1/10 has a lot less reviews, and doesn't give you the easy rundown of people that liked it vs people that didn't, which I actually find the most helpful personally. So yeah, Metacritic matters too, they just give you less info, and IMDB is useless because anyone can score it whatever they want to, whenever they want to, as often as they want to.

Hawki said:
mduncan50 said:
Wait...that's a tomato?

Crikey, I thought it was meant to be lettuce all this time. 0_0
Ha, yeah that would be the "rotten tomatoes" we hear so much about! Won't lie, I may not have caught on right away either ;)

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
And of course after I talk about how the movie is on the verge of freshness, it has now dropped back down to 56%. Sorry Fox.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I got back from watching it (yes I could reedit my first post but I rather made a new one just to have a new opinion on it) and honestly, it's nowhere near X men 3 bad as some critics make it out to be!

Overall it's an ok movie by my standard. It is definitely more actiony compared to the last two and it does lost it's secretive approach it had from the first two but overall I didn't feel annoyed giving my cash to watched it!

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Ok I got back from watching it (yes I could reedit my first post but I rather made a new one just to have a new opinion on it) and honestly, it's nowhere near X men 3 bad as some critics make it out to be!

Overall it's an ok movie by my standard. It is definitely more actiony compared to the last two and it does lost it's secretive approach it had from the first two but overall I didn't feel annoyed giving my cash to watched it!
Happy to hear you felt you got your money's worth. I'm sure Fox wishes you were a critic, because they've now dropped below the halfway mark, currently sitting at 49%. Though funnily enough "I didn't feel annoyed giving my cash to watch it" would be one of the more glowing endorsements the movie has received so far.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
SweetShark said:
You know, I just watched this review just now from a very trusty reviewer:

He is one of the very few reviewer I know that he will NEVER put any kind of spoilers minor or major to ruin your movie. Also his opinion is always spot on most of the times.

Maybe I will watch the movie after all.
I thrive on that lad, he knows his stuff.

Personally I REALLY enjoyed Batman Vs Superman and thought The Force Awakens was utter wank (I also thought Days of Future Past was very "meh"), so I'm quite optimistic for the new X-Men film.