X-Men: Apocalypse Reviews are coming in... dammit FOX!

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Apparently I'm one of the few people who thought that the x-men films have been really, really bad. The continuity just doesn't make any dang sense. It's worse then kingdom hearts at this point. Still, disappointed for the fans.

AccursedTheory said:
Toast B.C. said:
I'm still wondering how people can still think Olivia Munn is a decent actress. Ever since G4, she has been nothing but empty sex appeal. She's not good at any job she takes.
I think I've found photographic evidence showing why people like Olivia Munn.

She's like the real life version of those outrageous anime fan service characters. The one's who's panties are always showing and their breast weight 40 tons a piece. Not physically, of course, but the same in concept.
I was wondering what she's been up to. Apparently the answer is auditioning for finding nemo.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Parasondox said:
Maybe, hear me out here. Maybe we should just make the judgement ourselves about the movie. I am not saying to distrust the critics but mostly some play on nostalgia and the, "I wanted it this way" attitude.

If the movie is bad, by all means it stinks like a bowl of ****. I just feel that nowadays people read loads of reviews with different conflicting opinions and then get pt off by it. Heck I did that myself a lot in the past and then when I finally saw the movie, most of the time I liked it a lot and didn't see some of the things the critics were complaining about.

Shut Up, Para. No one cares what you think.
The problem with the "judge all movies for ourselves" is that a) it gets really expensive because there are a lot of movies out there to judge, and b)you're supporting the movie whether you liked it or not. The most egregious example of this is the Michael Bay Transformers movies. We all know that they're going to be terrible without seeing them, and yet they make more money than God. If we had learned our lesson after the first movie then we might actually be getting good Transformers movies by now! Anyways, like I said, I'll probably watch it when it comes out on Netflix just for closure's sake, but I'm done supporting bad superhero movies.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
I had a snaking suspicion that this movie would turn out poorly, largely based on the trailer. So Apocalypse was the one who invented the whole "4 Horsemen"-thing? Man, I have to say that the resemblance between the giant purple man and... you know, Jesus was indeed pretty startling.

This doesn't seem to have been a very good year for superhero films. First Batman v. Superman and now this. Granted, we had Deadpool earlier on and Civil War seems to be doing well (haven't seen it yet, but I am excited), but that's still only 50/50 for decent quality, a lot lower than we've seen previously. And the failures have failed pretty conclusively, as I've seen it. I wonder whether we are reaching the critical mass of superhero cinema, in which more and more come out, quality falls, and eventually people lose interest entirely. I'll mourn for some of it, but honestly the whole genre is beginning to wear thin on me as well.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Lord Garnaat said:
I had a snaking suspicion that this movie would turn out poorly, largely based on the trailer. So Apocalypse was the one who invented the whole "4 Horsemen"-thing? Man, I have to say that the resemblance between the giant purple man and... you know, Jesus was indeed pretty startling.

This doesn't seem to have been a very good year for superhero films. First Batman v. Superman and now this. Granted, we had Deadpool earlier on and Civil War seems to be doing well (haven't seen it yet, but I am excited), but that's still only 50/50 for decent quality, a lot lower than we've seen previously. And the failures have failed pretty conclusively, as I've seen it. I wonder whether we are reaching the critical mass of superhero cinema, in which more and more come out, quality falls, and eventually people lose interest entirely. I'll mourn for some of it, but honestly the whole genre is beginning to wear thin on me as well.
It's kind of hard to pin down the "superhero genre" because it's always mixed in with other genres, but i think if you could say half of all romantic comedies in a year were really good, or 50% of all action movies were great that would be considered a good year. And gods know there are a lot more of them released in a year.

Apr 17, 2009
Lord Garnaat said:
Well he did claim to be Yahweh (an old name for, well, God) in that one trailer. And he's been around for several thousand years before the Book of Revelations was written, so hey sure lets go with him being the inspiration behind the story. Its not like the Bible hasn't been looking at the other mythology's notes.

For the record, yeah, if this one has turned out a bit crap I'm not surprised. Never been sold on this version of Apocalypse, who simply isn't as gloriously bombastic as the 90s cartoon version, and the trailers make his plan out to be "nuke the planet, start from scratch with my chosen people"...which is pretty much the same plan as Shaw had in First Class. So a disappointing villain with a disappointing plan. Maybe I'll change my mind completely when I go see it this weekend, but lets say I won't be too surprised if its a damp squib

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Frankly, I didn't see what all the fuss was about for both of the previous films, as they seemed just as middling as the first three. The films weren't subtle enough to get me invested in the historical fiction stuff, despite seeming to hold themselves back a bit with everything besides magneto, so they just ended up being hammy without all of the fun.

Literally the only memorable thing in the first film was Wolverine saying "fuck off" or something like that.

The second film had Quicksilver and Peter Dinklage.

This movie seems to take itself even MORE seriously than those films, despite having an even goofier premise, so I expect it to be kind of bad.

Also, while I previously never really cared about Jennifer Lawrence, the overexposure of her as an actress, combined with her character being written about as obnoxiously as Rogue was written in the first three films, has kind of made me start to loath seeing her.

that said, these films don't need to be AMAZING to be worth watching or enjoyable. Just a few decent bits is enough for me. I mean, I think last stand is a terrible film, but "I'm the juggernaut, *****" kind of made it worth watch.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That is a shame.

I guess I won't put much effort into trying to get a decend day off from work to go see it but we shall see.

EDIT- Actually is it worth watching Angry Bird the movie more than this since they are both out soon?

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Yeah, this is disappointing. Mostly because First Class and Days of Future Past were pretty good movies all things considered. What I hear with this one so far is the exact same mistakes that Last Stand made. Too many characters and a messed up pacing and story line that had good ideas that were severely mishandled. And I was just thinking that after Deadpool that things were in good shape with Fox and X-Men... Oh well, there is always the next movie, I guess. judging by how these X-Men movies go, it was due for a garbage film again.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Toast B.C. said:
I'm still wondering how people can still think Olivia Munn is a decent actress. Ever since G4, she has been nothing but empty sex appeal. She's not good at any job she takes.
She was decent in Newsroom. Not outstanding (hard to outperform Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston), but decent enough with the material she was given...

OT: I am not surprised. I am not a fan of Days of Future Past, with plot holes big enough to drive a Humvee through; and there was little indication that this one was going to be any better.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
It's a touch early yet, since the embargo was just lifted, so I'll wait until closer to when I'd think about seeing it in theaters to make up my mind, though the review assessments have been pretty disappointing.

there have been some positive reviews as well, though. Chris Stuckmann loved the movie, and we tend to have similar taste in movies, so I may go see it just to see if it's a train wreck.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
Every time I see a trailer for a superhero movie I'm expecting it to gather reviews like this. I can't really see them turning out very good, and then when I see them my expectations are almost never exceeded. But yes, reviews seem to be popping out a bit early for this one, which is usually an act of confidence on the studio's part---but the supposed quality of the work seems to signify that confidence was misplaced. Not something that usually happens.

Still, the most exciting thing happening in popular film ATM is Cannes, which I imagine is a little too niche to start a thread on. Maybe I'll do so after the awards happen and everything's been reviewed.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It really never looked like a very good movie. Honestly, in some ways it almost looked like it was created to say: "Forget there were good X-Men movies before; this is the new status quo. You like the X-Men? Well, here's your X-Men. And, yeah, forget about Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, Alan Cumming, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. Here's some younger people who can prop up the franchise for another decade. Here's a garish mess that can sell some action figures."

For the record, I think MacEvoy and Fassbender have done a fairly good job with their roles up until now... But the reviews I've seen suggest that they're just phoning it in on this one. Say what you will about Marvel's own efforts, I've rarely gotten the impression that they put something in just to make five hardcore comic book geeks go "Psychlocke in something like her original costume! Squee!" while overlooking fifty less-indoctrinated movie-watchers going "There's nothing holding this mess together" and walking out.

All the "I've never encountered power like this before" and "this is the basis of all apocalypse mythology" nonsense in the preview sounds an awful lot like "No, really, take this seriously. This is a threat. Yes, I know we've threatened both all the mutants and all the humans in the world in the past, but... This is big and scary! Just watch the movie, okay?!"

...Sigh.

I'll probably watch it eventually.

In a second run theater.

After Batman vs. Superman.

[sub][sub][sub][sub]ouch.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, if they were going for the proper Apocalypse storyline, the best they could hope for was a confusing mess with too many characters and plot holes the Blob could fit through.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
You know, I just watched this review just now from a very trusty reviewer:

He is one of the very few reviewer I know that he will NEVER put any kind of spoilers minor or major to ruin your movie. Also his opinion is always spot on most of the times.

Maybe I will watch the movie after all.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Callate said:
It really never looked like a very good movie. Honestly, in some ways it almost looked like it was created to say: "Forget there were good X-Men movies before; this is the new status quo. You like the X-Men? Well, here's your X-Men. And, yeah, forget about Halle Berry, Famke Janssen, Alan Cumming, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. Here's some younger people who can prop up the franchise for another decade. Here's a garish mess that can sell some action figures."

For the record, I think MacEvoy and Fassbender have done a fairly good job with their roles up until now... But the reviews I've seen suggest that they're just phoning it in on this one. Say what you will about Marvel's own efforts, I've rarely gotten the impression that they put something in just to make five hardcore comic book geeks go "Psychlocke in something like her original costume! Squee!" while overlooking fifty less-indoctrinated movie-watchers going "There's nothing holding this mess together" and walking out.

All the "I've never encountered power like this before" and "this is the basis of all apocalypse mythology" nonsense in the preview sounds an awful lot like "No, really, take this seriously. This is a threat. Yes, I know we've threatened both all the mutants and all the humans in the world in the past, but... This is big and scary! Just watch the movie, okay?!"

...Sigh.

I'll probably watch it eventually.

In a second run theater.

After Batman vs. Superman.

[sub][sub][sub][sub]ouch.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
Yeah, Marvel would have made sure to have her speaking in a British accent at least... and probably would have hired a competent actress.

SweetShark said:
You know, I just watched this review just now from a very trusty reviewer:

He is one of the very few reviewer I know that he will NEVER put any kind of spoilers minor or major to ruin your movie. Also his opinion is always spot on most of the times.

Maybe I will watch the movie after all.
I'm a big fan of Stuckman as well, but he has some very strange opinions sometimes, as evidenced by his defending of pretty much all things Shyamalan as misunderstood artistic masterpieces. The review he's giving for Apocalypse is pretty close to the same he gave for Batman v Superman, so I'll take it with a grain of salt. The only thing I really disliked about this review is that he did the whole arrogant "All the other reviewers are wrong" thing, which Chris is usually smart enough to not fall into. To each their own and all that.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Zhukov said:
Michael Prymula said:
Zhukov said:
Because from where I'm standing the X-Men movies were only ever considered good enough by the already low standards of comic book movies in 2002 or whenever the first one came out.

This just sounds like another exercise in mediocrity in a series defined by mediocrity.
Not true, plenty of people consider them damn good films.
And plenty of people loved the Twilight films.

What's your point?
X-Men and Twilight are worlds apart in quality.

Dec 10, 2012
Zhukov said:
Michael Prymula said:
Zhukov said:
Because from where I'm standing the X-Men movies were only ever considered good enough by the already low standards of comic book movies in 2002 or whenever the first one came out.

This just sounds like another exercise in mediocrity in a series defined by mediocrity.
Not true, plenty of people consider them damn good films.
And plenty of people loved the Twilight films.

What's your point?
And plenty of people hated the Twilight films. Sooo, where does that leave us in regards to common opinion?

Personally I always really liked the first 2 X-Men. And not because they came out during a dearth of good comic book movies. I still like them, a lot more than I used to like the Raimi Spiderman films. And honestly liked Days of Future Past as much as First Class.

And I hope Apocalypse is better than it looks...

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
axlryder said:
Also, while I previously never really cared about Jennifer Lawrence, the overexposure of her as an actress, combined with her character being written about as obnoxiously as Rogue was written in the first three films, has kind of made me start to loath seeing her.
ive never understood the point in viewing someone negatively over things that arent even their fault. its not her fault the media obsesses over her, and she isnt the one writing her character in X-Men.

saying you loathe seeing her because of these things is like being rear-ended by a driver and getting mad at their kid in the backseat.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
What baffles me is the sudden, violent shift in tone when it comes to the trailers. I recall the teasers from a month or two ago being dark, brooding, foreboding....and yet the latest TV spots seem to be painting this movie as a teen action romp featuring characters straight out of high school. I'm hoping this movie isn't that bad but ever since I first saw Apocalypse I was underwhelmed and his voice did nothing to help my unease but I'm still more interested to see this than I am to check out the 3 hour cut of Batman v Superman that's apparently coming to theaters.

I wonder how TMNT-2 is going to turn out being?

Also, Olivia Munn is in this movie? People expected Olivia Munn to do a good job? Do people not realize that Olivia Munn is essentially just budget Megan Fox? Actually...has anybody ever seen Munn and Fox in the same place, at the same time?