X-Men Destiny Review

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
The game sounds like a good concept done badly.

Also, why can't we pronounce "Xavier" properly?

It's pronounced "zavier", people; not "ex-avier"

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I wasn't really on board since the reveal. It looked poor from the very start and the whole idea of being a new mutant just didn't seem very interesting especially when X men already has such a rich cast of varied characters.

Looking at it from far away all I can say is Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks far superior and I only rate that game as alright, good on co-op but mediocre alone.

As for X men games in general, of course there's the arcade game which is balls to the wall fun even if it has no depth whatsoever. There's also the games on Genesis/Mega Drive. X men 2: Clone Wars (or something like that) was a fantastic X men game with a choice of some great characters to play from (Wolverine, Beast, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Psylocke, Gambit and even Magneto) for a 16 bit 2D sidescrolling action game it really captured the feel of each character rather well, playing as Nightcrawler was an utter delight, teleporting behind an enemy and drop kicking him in the back of the head always felt awesome.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Newbies ordering the regular cast around, ug. It's so common too - when a game puts you in a setting with lots of powerful characters (whether it's X-Men or Forgotten Realms) they really need to put you on equal footing, thoroughly explain why you are the protagonist and not them, or simply leave the big guns out of it.

That is, assuming you don't get to play as the popular, powerful characters.

No_Remainders said:

That's the proper pronunciation of the X-Men character.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Well, sounds like it's at least better than the NES version. (Yeah, it was that bad.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The video supplement was pretty helpful and really drives home how little I want this game.

I remember when there was SOOOO much hype behind this.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if you got any naughty children or a sibling / friend you really don't like this is the perfect gift :D

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
X-Men Destiny Review

Being a superhero has never been this boring.

Read Full Article
Actually, Susan, several of your statements are flat out false. There is a difference between Psylocke's psi damage and Gambits kinetic damage- Psylock's powers confuse enemies, causing them to attack each other, while Gambit's powers set up chain explosions. Northstar's powers stun people, and Wolverine's are pure damage.

Emma Frost has the best defensive ability in the game. Utility powers do more than increase movement speed, they also increase the amount of energy and energy regeneration you have. Emma Frost also has the second best utility in the game, giving two bars of energy and faster regen, and Magneto has the best.

Also, stating that you always do the same missions either way is a flat out lie. After accepting Pyro's mission in the Raid level, you are given a choice between helping Nightcrawler and Mystique. Helping Nightcrawler grants one mission, helping Mystique grants a different, much shorter mission. The X-men have no equivalent to the Juggernaut Smashup, which can only be done by having a high Brotherhood faction meter.

Stating that the actions have no moral difference is a lie. Mystiques first mission literally has Pyro stating that some innocent people- some of the very people you are trying to rescue- will get killed as a result of you helping the Brotherhood. Innocent people are dying so that you can send a message. Taking the Brotherhood option in the prison level after the bossfight will result in humans being turned into horrible monstrosities, and beating the game results in some fairly bad things happening to humans, with Magneto explicitly stating that the Brotherhood are going to conquer and enslave humanity.

There was only one, brief 2 second point in the game where the camera was actually bad, in the uncovered level. The camera was good at every other point in the game. Colossus does not let you boss him around- at one point, he bosses YOU around, and gets angry if you don't make a choice he likes after defeating a boss. Actually, none of the X-men or Brotherhood let you boss them around. They send you to defeat the final boss because you are the only mutant with an inherent immunity to the final bosses' power, which is pretty important. And saying that your character is the "best" choice to go head to head with giant robots is misleading- All the X-men are fighting Giant Robots at the same time you are. You are not "chosen" to fight the giant robots, everyone fights the giant robots.

This review was just plain bad. I beat the game with all 3 characters, all 3 powersets. With Aimi/Shadow Matter I beat it once, with density control and Grant I beat it twice, with Energy Projection and Adrian I beat it three times. This game has some serious problems- X-gene drops rely far too much on random number generators for example, which are just a waste of time- but it does not generally suffer from the problems Susan listed.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
RelexCryo said:
Susan Arendt said:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article
Actually, Susan, several of your statements are flat out false. There is a difference between Psylocke's psi damage and Gambits kinetic damage- Psylock's powers confuse enemies, causing them to attack each other, while Gambit's powers set up chain explosions. Northstar's powers stun people, and Wolverine's are pure damage.

Emma Frost has the best defensive ability in the game. Utility powers do more than increase movement speed, they also increase the amount of energy and energy regeneration you have. Emma Frost also has the second best utility in the game, giving two bars of energy and faster regen, and Magneto has the best.

Also, stating that you always do the same missions either way is a flat out lie. After accepting Pyro's mission in the Raid level, you are given a choice between helping Nightcrawler and Mystique. Helping Nightcrawler grants one mission, helping Mystique grants a different, much shorter mission. The X-men have no equivalent to the Juggernaut Smashup, which can only be done by having a high Brotherhood faction meter.

Stating that the actions have no moral difference is a lie. Mystiques first mission literally has Pyro stating that some innocent people- some of the very people you are trying to rescue- will get killed as a result of you helping the Brotherhood. Innocent people are dying so that you can send a message. Taking the Brotherhood option in the prison level after the bossfight will result in humans being turned into horrible monstrosities, and beating the game results in some fairly bad things happening to humans, with Magneto explicitly stating that the Brotherhood are going to conquer and enslave humanity.

There was only one, brief 2 second point in the game where the camera was actually bad, in the uncovered level. The camera was good at every other point in the game. Colossus does not let you boss him around- at one point, he bosses YOU around, and gets angry if you don't make a choice he likes after defeating a boss. Actually, none of the X-men or Brotherhood let you boss them around. They send you to defeat the final boss because you are the only mutant with an inherent immunity to the final bosses' power, which is pretty important. And saying that your character is the "best" choice to go head to head with giant robots is misleading- All the X-men are fighting Giant Robots at the same time you are. You are not "chosen" to fight the giant robots, everyone fights the giant robots.

This review was just plain bad. I beat the game with all 3 characters, all 3 powersets. With Aimi I beat it once, with density control and Grant I beat it twice, with Energy Projection and Adrian I beat it three times. This game has some serious problems- it relies far too much on random number generators for example, which are just a waste of time- but it does not generally suffer from the problems Susan listed.
If you didn't have problems with the camera, that's great, but I did, very much so. And while you're correct that higher levels of genes have different effects, it has little bearing on gameplay because you simply don't have to be strategic at all with your attacks. You can quite literally get through the entire game just by spamming the same basic move over and over again. And you're correct, not all of the Utilities make you run fast - that's an exaggeration for dramatic effect - several of them do. Does it really matter if you're running faster because of Gambit or Avalanche or Northstar? To me, it doesn't. It makes what should be an interesting and fun mechanic and makes it just so much window dressing.

If you enjoyed the game, then that's great. I'm pleased you found things to like about it. But that is very much not the experience that I had. I found the moral choices to be utterly toothless and meaningless, given how the story develops, the player characters were terribly written and made no sense, and there were technical issues galore.

Thalios

May 6, 2009
No_Remainders said:

The name of Professor X is pronounced 'Ex-avier'.

It's true the name Xavier (Javier) is usually pronounced with a 'sh' sound, not pronouncing the X, but that doesn't mean this particular person have his name pronounced that way.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Susan Arendt said:
If I'm idly wondering what's new on Netflix
Dozens of episodes of How it's Made [http://science.discovery.com/videos/how-its-made-videos/] would be the answer to that thought. :D

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
RelexCryo said:
Susan Arendt said:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article

This review was just plain bad. I beat the game with all 3 characters, all 3 powersets. With Aimi I beat it once, with density control and Grant I beat it twice, with Energy Projection and Adrian I beat it three times. This game has some serious problems- it relies far too much on random number generators for example, which are just a waste of time- but it does not generally suffer from the problems Susan listed.
If you didn't have problems with the camera, that's great, but I did, very much so. And while you're correct that higher levels of genes have different effects, it has little bearing on gameplay because you simply don't have to be strategic at all with your attacks. You can quite literally get through the entire game just by spamming the same basic move over and over again. And you're correct, not all of the Utilities make you run fast - that's an exaggeration for dramatic effect - several of them do. Does it really matter if you're running faster because of Gambit or Avalanche or Northstar? To me, it doesn't. It makes what should be an interesting and fun mechanic and makes it just so much window dressing.

If you enjoyed the game, then that's great. I'm pleased you found things to like about it. But that is very much not the experience that I had. I found the moral choices to be utterly toothless and meaningless, given how the story develops, the player characters were terribly written and made no sense, and there were technical issues galore.
The points you listed in this post are good, what annoyed me was that you were making points in your review that did not make sense- such as saying that can boss around Colossus or that the powers have no difference at all. I felt compelled to comment simply because of that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
RelexCryo said:
Susan Arendt said:
RelexCryo said:
Susan Arendt said:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article

The points you listed in this post are good, what annoyed me was that you were making points in your review that did not make sense- such as saying that can boss around Colossus or that the powers have no difference at all. I felt compelled to comment simply because of that.
I think it's great that you spoke up. I really am very happy that you enjoyed the game - I wish I could've, too.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
X-Men Destiny Review

Read Full Article
i kinda agree with you

the gene's, aren't really as described but that's been addressed, sorta, as an expansion to that, I'd like to point out there are some game breaking combos that make an already easy game easier.

not gonna comment on the x-mode thing, cause only the emma frost one was actually worth using.

but yeah :/ it was kinda of a let down, i was hoping for something more like infamous in the x-men universe, with character customisation, instead ... this .... :/ and given i just lost my job this week this is the last game i got to T-T

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Right! This one is bad. I didn't think it would be that bad but it is what it is...It's too bad there hasn't been a third Ultimate Alliance.

Say, when it's time to review Spider-Man: Edge of Time, could there be a secondary review or, second look for that one of the 3DS version? It's been next to impossible to find images or, gameplay footage of the 3DS version of that one other than shaky-cam footage on youtube of random people playing it...2 random people as of yesterday.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Wow, this sounds really dull. And with that great setting! They apparently try to work with the whole persecution-issue that X-Men was largely based around, but seem to really phone it in. Plus, with the countless mutants around, I'd really expect them to let you create your own character and "design" your own personal mutant powers (maybe by choosing from different types of powers, both established and new, and then letting you add additional effects such as damage over time, life leech etc. to it, plus visual effects such as colour - differently coloured lightning, for instance - sparks, smoke or whatever else to let you get as personal a mutant power as possible). At least that's what I would do. Instead you get three characters to choose from. Yawn. Although I suppose the system of adding new powers is a very good idea - also implemented poorly.

Ryu890

May 28, 2011
Now I'm deppressed. :( From my glipses in the trailers it LOOKED like it coulda been fun. I was really looking forward to it. But this...this..... Whyyyyy. :(