PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
What was so bad about X-Men 3 again?

I thought it was perfectly fine...

Not as good as 1 or 2. But still good.

What do I know, though?

I actually liked X-Men: Evolution, too.
Evolution was great. my only criticism is they didn't use the original, amazing theme tune.

and i liked The Last Stand, i actually think it's the best one.

none of the pics of the new one fill me with much hope. Magneto's costume looks cheap and almost like a fancy dress costume.

pigmypython

Jan 15, 2010
Lenny Magic said:
Hmm... still not looking all that great, but these are just early shots so I shall judge not until final product I do see.

HankMan said:
the helmet without the cape just makes Fassbender look like a dork.
Disaster Button said:
I think Magneto looks a little... well, dumb in that picture. His helmet just seems like a cheap prop someone would wear for dress-up.
Also agreed.
Agreed

Sep 17, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
..Ew.

EW.

EWWW.

Those costumes look really fucking disgusting. And, only Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan can pull off the Magneto/X duo. At least, in my opinion.
Yea I agree. Only one actor should ever play one role for all eternity.

OT: James Mcavoy is a good actor imo, I think this movie should be fun. Bad pictures mean nothing.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Tiny116 said:
But...But Xavier shouldn't have HAIR! :0
Meh, I'm an X-man junkie, they introduced me to Marvel, so I'm really looking fowards to them.
And is that supposed to be Emma Frost in the "leaked Image?"
Yeah, both of those bugged me too. Xavier is bald, always has been since he was in middle school or something... and Frost was a bad guy for the longest time. Either that or they made storm white. Ill leave it up to you to decide which is less acceptable.

Liking Mags helmet tho, and the blue-yellow costume too. They honestly dont look that bad in the picture. Mags needs a cape tho. Hes always had one, and he needs one to really go with the helmet.

But not liking Xavier. At all.

Cadapalo

Jun 8, 2010
Please not another x-men movie, as if the last two weren't bad enough. The costumes looked terrible but I suppose I should at least give it a chance to prove itself. Honestly though no one can replace Patrick/Ian as X/Magneto.

A little off topic but didn't they somehow give the idea that the prof. was still alive at the end of X-men 3. I thought I saw something like it after the credits.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Tiny116 said:
But...But Xavier shouldn't have HAIR! :0
My boyfriend said the exact same thing. He had a slight moment of nerd rage. I seriously hope James Mcavoy's acting can make up for him having beautiful brown locks.

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
Good to hear that that terrible photo doing the rounds is not even approved by the director; gives me hope.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I have some serious doubts that Fassbender and McAvoy will top Sir McKellen and Stewart's performances. I enjoy the work of both actors, but them's some big shoes to fill...

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
How about we all just watch the movie and stop collectively freaking the hell out over random photos and stills. Things taken out of context never make sense (case in point, very first image of the Joker in "The Dark Knight").

Of course they look like props, they are props. Things gain resonance and symbolic strangth through narrative, Excalibur was a sword, Mjolnir was a hammer, and Grass Cutter was a katana, they are elements of a story. And considering how little is known about the movie (I had forgotten it was coming out) railing against it is silly.

Also having a young version of a character have hair gives a lot of credit to the audience, remember "Star Trek: Nemesis"? Why did the clone need to have his head shaved? Why did the picture of Picard in the academy need him to be bald? Because the studio thinks we are stupid.

You should give credit to the creative teams for making steps toward a fresh new look rather than retreading things. Stagnation would set in.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
X-Men movies aren't that old, why are they remaking it already with actor's that don't look the part and costumes that should have the designers shot for? Gah they've lost the plot

Sedweiler

Dec 5, 2009
Archemetis said:
Long-ish post
This very much reflects my thoughts. X-Men 3 was to me, above all, HUGE disappointment. Instead of doing Phoenix- or Cure-stories justice, they were shoe-horned together. And instead of giving more screentime to characters like Juggernaut or Colossus, they had to provide that to Magneto's black-leather crew with non-existant personalities.

I actually enjoyed Origins: Wolverine, but I just adopted the mindset, that there's no connection to the trilogy and that it is its' own being.

OT: All that the pictures evoke in me is: meh.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Thank God they are fake cause I DID NOT RECOGNIZE ANYONE in it. Except the obvious ones. Saying the pics sucked is an understatement. This is something you see for a bad TV series.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Disaster Button said:
I think Magneto looks a little... well, dumb in that picture. His helmet just seems like a cheap prop someone would wear for dress-up. Xavier looks great though.
Pretty much exactly how I feel. That said, the previous actors did an excellent job. I'm not 'hardcore' enough to think that change is inherently a bad thing though, as long as it's done well. Colour me interested.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Hmm. New ones look just as ugly, but less photoshop-ed. Either way, I don't feel even a sliver of interest.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
I like how close to the comic that magneto helmet is (although could do with a paint job) but it does need the cape. Xavier looks like a vagrant with a migraine, but I enjoyed him in 'Wanted' so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
I personally hope this film goes some way towards erasing the memory of Bryan Singers awful attempts at Wolverine fan service. (Brett Ratner to his credit tried to give the franchise his sense of fun, but the damage was already done.)
They had arguably the most popular Marvel franchise, with two of the finest Shakespearean actors on the planet, in the roles of two of Marvels most intelligently designed characters, and they decide to centre the film around two 'popular', yet less important' characters, with all of the back story that made them interesting taken out.

Don't even get me started on the S&M costumes; "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?" I for one replied "Fuck yes."

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Swearing doesn't make you appear more sincere or committed, Mr. Vaughn.

As for the so called better pictures: That Magneto shot was first picture I saw, and it is fucking horrendous. Translating the X-Men into live-action with their original outfits is going to fail beyond believe.