X-Men Director Reveals Movie's Plot

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
X-Men Director Reveals Movie's Plot

Magneto is essentially going to be James Bond with super powers. 'Nuff said.

The past few days have seen <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107170-X-Men-Director-Hates-Leaked-Movie-Photo>a fair number of details coming out about X-Men: First Class coming into the light. Director Matthew Vaughn has shown that he's a big fan of the source material and clearly thinks of this movie as more than just his latest paycheck. In a recent interview, Vaughn revealed the overall plot of the movie, as well as why the 1960s is a perfect setting for his story.

Speaking to Entertainment Weekly, Vaughn offered a pretty concise summary of the film:

In the beginning of the film, no one knows that mutants exist, and all the mutants don't know that each other exist. They're all in hiding. Kevin Bacon plays a very megalomaniac mutant [Sebastian Shaw] who decides that he can take over the world and that mutants are the future. Erik and Charles then meet each other and hook up with the CIA to try and prevent World War III. You find out everything about what went on between Erik and Charles.

On top of all this, it turns out that Magneto (played by Michael Fassbender) is going to be the coolest character in the movie:

The best way of describing it is X-Men meets Bond, with a little bit of Thirteen Days thrown in for good measure. It's set in the '60s, and I basically molded a young Magneto on a young Sean Connery. He's the ultimate spy - imagine Bond, but with superpowers ... For me, Magneto is the good guy in the film, but he's a sort of a good bad guy. He literally kicks off the movie, and Xavier goes along on the ride trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and trying to persuade Erik that you don't have to kill everyone.

As I've previously said, I'm a big fan of Vaughn's movies, so I'm already excited about X-Men: First Class. Even if I wasn't already awaiting its theatrical release, Vaughn would've had me at the "Bond with superpowers" idea.

Source: Entertainment Weekly via <a href=http://io9.com/5741391/matthew-vaughn-explains-the-plot-of-x+men-first-class-plus-totally-insane-batman-and-doctor-who-rumors>io9

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
I believe magneto will soon be able to claim the "manliest man this side of chuck norris" award.

Sean connery + magneto= pretty dang cool

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
That is officially one of the most convoluted plots I have ever heard.

..So it's basically James Bond with X-Men? -_-

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
anthony87 said:
I still think the helmet looks cheap and goofy....
Without a matching outfit, any kinda helmet would look stupid.

OT:

Plot not sounding too great. Sounds entertaining, though.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Since when has stepping outside the concept material for any given superhero/villain yielded positive results in movies? If you're willing to set the thing back in the 60's rather than try and adapt it to modern times, why bother monkeying with the characters at all? They already invented the wheel guys, just let it roll.

Feb 13, 2008
Seriously? This has just put me off the movie totally.

But then, I suppose it wasn't for me anyway. Just for the new breed who want to see CGI, explosions and boobies.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
sounds really interesting. magneto and xaviers backstory is a fantastically interesting plot. hopefully they do it justice

hungoverbear

Mar 8, 2008
Ummmm so is this supposed to be a reboot of the franchise or is this a prequel to the original X-men movie? Because if this has mystique and beast in it then that means that mystique was in her 60's in X3.....

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
hungoverbear said:
Ummmm so is this supposed to be a reboot of the franchise or is this a prequel to the original X-men movie? Because if this has mystique and beast in it then that means that mystique was in her 60's in X3.....
Well, she IS/was a shape-shifter (and, please, let's just forget X3 for the sake of everyone; that... thing mustn't be remembered).

After X3 and Wolverine:Origins I gave up expecting something good from X-men movies. Although this one definitely looks and sounds way better than the last two, I'm still reluctant of the Erik-Bond-awesome-and-allowed-to-kill thing. X-men has such good stories to tell; about tolerance, hatred, ambition, desire, responsibility, moral choices, etc. I wish they remembered the importance of narrative and the story itself rather than the CGI and crazy effects (they look nice, but so did many stuff in the past; That shouldn't count that much about a movie's quality).

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
hungoverbear said:
Mystique's powers essentially retard the aging process.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Just for the new breed who want to see CGI, explosions and boobies.
Why would anyone want to use CGI to make boobies explode though? Seems like a waste to me!

Anyhow, I'd be more ambivalent/upset about this film if I wasn't aware that there are (or at least was, I couldn't tell you if that series is still running) X-Men comics out there that do exactly what this script proposes to do: throw out all the established backstory and reinvent everything in a new context that is just similar enough to the old stuff to make existing fans immensely irritated. Continuity is a convoluted nightmare of a mishmash, but when you take that away and re-purpose our established notions of these iconic characters, even if the new "fresh setting" might make sense (from both a narrative and external standpoint), well that just feels like a massive betrayal to the pre-existing fans.

Seen in that light, learning that they're going to reboot everything, set it in the 60s, and have Sebastian Shaw of the Hellfire Club as the primary antagonist... well I can't really get all that mad at them because I can think of shit like this that Marvel has already done to their characters; in the grand scheme of things it's just a stupid reboot, and it might even be entertaining in the end.

Still obligated to hate the idea on principle though.

Feb 13, 2008
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Anyhow, I'd be more ambivalent/upset about this film if I wasn't aware that there are (or at least was, I couldn't tell you if that series is still running) X-Men comics out there that do exactly what this script proposes to do: throw out all the established backstory and reinvent everything in a new context that is just similar enough to the old stuff to make existing fans immensely irritated.
TBF, there's the Elseworlds(DC) and What If?(Marvel) that have been doing that for years.

I just find the idea of hastily bolting the latest IP onto a slush pile script to be repulsive.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
So I'm the only one who looks at that concept and thinks it has real potential?

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
"Magneto is essentially going to be James Bond with super powers. 'Nuff said."

That is 'nuff said about this movie. Forever.