X-Men: First Class Wows With Surprisingly Tense Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
X-Men: First Class Wows With Surprisingly Tense Trailer

Mutant tensions threaten to boil over against the backdrop of nuclear war in the trailer for reboot/reimagining of the X-Men movies.

There's an awful lot going on in the world of comic book movies, with Thor, Captain America and The Green Lantern all getting ready for the big screen this summer, not to mention the likes of Batman, The Avengers and Superman all waiting in the wings.

With all the big names superheroes flying around - in some cases literally - X-Men: First Class, a pseudo-prequel to the X-Men movies set in the sixties, has kind of slipped under the radar. But now, thanks to a brooding, tense and surprisingly good trailer, all that may be about to change.

While First Class is clearly still a superhero movie - costumes, jets and gunfights all make an appearance in the two minute trailer - there's more to it than just four-color fistfights and dramatic poses. Set during the Cuban Missile Crisis at the height of the Cold War, the growing tensions between the USA and USSR mirror the growing schism between Charles Xavier, played by James McAvoy, and Erik Lehnsherr AKA Magneto, played by Michael Fassbender.

Despite the appearance of footage from the first X-Men movie in the trailer, First Class doesn't seem to share too many connections with the previous movies, although director Matthew Vaughn says that they are part of the same continuity. Some of the characters will be familiar, and some won't - at least not to movie audiences. Comic purists might note that this isn't the "proper" first class, but Bryan Singer, who was going to direct First Class before other commitments got in the way, says that subsequent movies will bring the series more in line with the comics.

X-Men: First Class opens in theaters on June 3rd.

Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/02/10/x-men-first-class-bryan-singer-talks-about-azazel-havok-and-mystique/]

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I thought this looked pretty cool, although the comic nerds are already up in arms...

Sep 14, 2009
WrongSprite said:
I thought this looked pretty cool, although the comic nerds are already up in arms...
this.

it looks not half bad, but then again, according to a lot of people on here the movies i like are awful and any movie made about anything comic/super hero related is going to be garbage.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Ooooooo...

That, looks good. The cast looks good, the trailer didn't involve too much Bay-ism either. Nice.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
Dude I'm so into this. Funny thing (well, maybe): I just yesterday was thinking to myself "What's James McAvoy up to?"

also: KEVIN BACON AS SEBASTIAN SHAW.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Sorry but to me this still looks like a generic prequel/reboot with teenagers.

The original films really benefited from the ensemble cast; they weren't perfect films but Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart made them watchable. Well, except the third one.

But this? This looks like a shallow attempt to cash in on what little popularity the franchise has left. And I am willing to bet you it tries to attach itself to the "teen" market, in the worst sense of the idea.

Meanwhile, it's a prequel and the last X-Men prequel was...yeah.

(I also did not enjoy Kick-Ass, and I see many of the director's hallmarks here)

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I am always a little 'meh' when it come to comic movies. But that was some good editing and music.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
tomtom94 said:

The original films really benefited from the ensemble cast; they weren't perfect films but Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart made them watchable. Well, except the third one.

But this? This looks like a shallow attempt to cash in on what little popularity the franchise has left. And I am willing to bet you it tries to attach itself to the "teen" market, in the worst sense of the idea.

(I also did not enjoy Kick-Ass, and I see many of the director's hallmarks here)
I'm not sure if the movie can be about teenagers when most of the cast looked to be playing 20 somethings.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Looks pretty good but the ending kinda killed it for me. I expected a bit more of backstory but I guess this is alright for the time being. "Before he was..." was really cool but the way the teaser ended was meh.

I'm going to watch it, I do quite enjoy X-Men.
[sub]Okay,okay, I'll stop trying to look for Deadpool movie hints[/sub]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
W.... er.......... Whoa..... I.... uh....... WOW.

I'm actually interested in this movie now. I thought it was going to be horrible, especially after the debacle that was Origins. This looks pretty damn good, though.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Wow. That is all.

I'm really liking the cast, too.
Nicholous Hoult as Beast?!
Whoa. I saw him in Skins first, then next thing I know he's in Clash Of The Titans and now he's an X-man.
James McAvoy also looks awesome.
Well, everything looked awesome.
I can't wait!

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
loremazd said:
tomtom94 said:

I'm not sure if the movie can be about teenagers when most of the cast looked to be playing 20 somethings.
Teenagers, young adults, you know the sort of image I mean. I just can't take the characters seriously looking like that.