X-Play Extends to an Hour

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
the monopoly guy post=7.70429.707000 said:
N-Sef post=7.70429.697637 said:
The Sorrow post=7.70429.697632 said:
X-Play used to be funny. Johnny Extreme, Ratty Puppet, the Canadian Guy, Drunk Link...the list goes on and on. It used to be something worth TiVo-ing.
Now? Blech.
Remember Grabnar? Man that sketch was priceless.
Screaming intern, Yu Gi Oh! gang, passion of the christ 2 (that was freakin priceless), Bob and Steve, hell I even miss the Sammy Sosa and Jason Giambi heads.
yeah... I think we all miss the old X-Play

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
There's a lot I could say about this, but I'm pretty sure it's already been said, and in better ways than I'd be able to articulate.

I'll settle for shaking my head and thanking the media gods that there are still decent gaming Podcasts.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
you know what, i like the3 new xpay. yeah its a little commercial, but i like the addition of the news and interviews and hands-on stuff. yeah i miss the old xplay, with the funny intro lines and the funny reviews and the great sketches (bob and steve FTW!) but the new xplay is still pretty good, less humour but more news and stuff. that and code monkey, the funniest animated show on television, are the only reasons to watch g4 anymore, also chris hardwick.

Rockdrake

Aug 27, 2008
Almost everyone will agree the old Xplay was indeed better and that the new one shouldn't be an hour long. Damn I miss Portal, arena, and some of those other shows that you can only see now at 8:00 am in the morning on G4 rewind.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Space Spoons post=7.70429.707025 said:
There's a lot I could say about this, but I'm pretty sure it's already been said, and in better ways than I'd be able to articulate.

I'll settle for shaking my head and thanking the media gods that there are still decent gaming Podcasts.
Yeah, as far as podcasts go, G4 is simply outdone. I think this is in part due to the freedom of podcasters to get their word out there without any real pressure about their visibility. I like "smalltime" podcasters like Cheap Ass Gamer and Sarcastic Gamer, who don't have to worry as much about their image as perhaps a G4 might.

I'm surprised there isn't an Escapist Podcast yet. I'd listen.

Back to the topic though, like I said, I just didn't find the skits funny. I remember more than half of the stuff people are talking about, and they made me crack a smile, but not much else. Game information is much more valuable to me, as I take in a lot of sources and like to view varying opinions before deciding for myself what is worth buying.

Thing is, with all this complaining, there's no clear TV alternative to X-Play, which I think is part of the reason why people think it's so mediocre - it has nothing kicking it in the ass to actually compete with. If some media entity paired with one of the major gaming outlets to produce a show for actual television (as opposed to the Internet where it gets lost in the sea of anonymity), then X-Play may see some more improvements, but not until then.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Bob and Steve is the greatest machinima outside Litfuse Films; I liked how they did it with Splinter Cell, instead of the usual Halo and Half Life 2.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Rockdrake post=7.70429.707071 said:
Almost everyone will agree the old Xplay was indeed better and that the new one shouldn't be an hour long. Damn I miss Portal, arena, and some of those other shows that you can only see now at 8:00 am in the morning on G4 rewind.
Then do something about it instead of complaining!

THe point of G4 Rewind is to see if people are still interested with the shows, and if the ratings are high enough and if there is a high enough demands they may churn out new episodes of the show. I'm a minority, I wasn't around in the TechTV days, but you guys were and you guys want those shows back. So go and demand the shows back with some new episodes already instead of sulking around.

And while you're at it, demand a new seasons of Bob and Steve, I miss them...so much...