XBLA rips off Canadians.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
So I had finally decided to get some MS points onto my Xbox Live account so I can buy Super meat boy and some other stuff. I go down to the 7eleven by my house to get a point card. The card costs $20 but it only gives 1400 Points. And that made me think "That can't be right. A dollar accounts for 80P meaning it should be 1600P for $20. APPEARENTLY they charge us Canadians more for points on both the point cards and on the Online store. But they keep the prices of the items in the XBLA the same.

Now I find this completely unfair seeing how Sony and steam charge us the same as Americans for everything, but Microsoft rips us off.

Who else thinks this is completely unfair? Especially since the Canadian Dollar and American Dollar have almost the exact same value.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
No, it costs $20 dollars in America too. I think thats just the price you pay for getting it in card form.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
It's not just Canadians that are being ripped off.The prices for Games on Demand vary massively between Britain and Ireland

For example Black Ops is 44.99GBP on the British Xbox website.44.99GBP is roughly 55Euro under current exchange rates.Yet to buy Black Ops on the Irish site will set you back 69.99Euro

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
It's a rip off anyway. You can't just add a dollar to your account, can you? You have to add $20 to buy a $6 game. (just examples, I know there's a variety of amounts you can buy)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Oh it's not just Canada, it's almost everywhere else too. Like NZ, the prices for the card vary from $25 to $30. Can't really do much about it I'm afraid.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
That's why I buy very little. They're kinda stupid, making it complicated to match points amounts with prices.

Try Future Shop, they sometimes have a 1400+400 points card for the same price.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
No, it costs $20 dollars in America too. I think thats just the price you pay for getting it in card form.
Yes but I have seen the $20 cards in the US. They are 1600.

Ugh. this is why we need to be done with point systems for online retailers.

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
Hey, everything rips off Canada.

Book stores. Netflix. Wizards of the Coast's rules for transporting Magic: The Gathering across the border. Gary Bettman.

It's the price we pay for being awesome.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
The PSN does a similar thing. While it uses actual money instead of points, you can still only put a set amount at a time (5, 10, 20, 50, etc). I prefer Steam where you add shit to your cart, and then just buy it all in one lump sum without any remaining left over in your account.

OT: It depends on a couple of factors. Foreign exchange rate, the country and the games popularity in that country, the games popularity by itself....Modern Warfare 1 is still selling on PC and consoles in stores for full game price. It's bollocks.

Captcha: Temoduci world
Yes, yes it is.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not the first time other currency users gets screwed over.
When I bought the last expansion + some extra goodies for LOTRO it cost me 40 euro iirc. The price for Americans was 40 USD, which is half of what we paid.

Godommit! Lemme pay in dorrars!

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
DanielBrown said:
When I bought the last expansion + some extra goodies for LOTRO it cost me 40 euro iirc. The price for Americans was 40 USD, which is half of what we paid.

No exaggerate!

1.00 EUR = 1.26800 USD
Euro US Dollar
1 EUR = 1.26800 USD 1 USD = 0.788644 EUR

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
zombieshark6666 said:
DanielBrown said:

No exaggerate!

1.00 EUR = 1.26800 USD
Euro US Dollar
1 EUR = 1.26800 USD 1 USD = 0.788644 EUR
Meh, don't ruin my whining! It's all I got!
Still, this was over half a year ago. Has the dollar gotten a lot stronger, or is it just my lack of sleep that makes everything so confusing?

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
People aren't allowed to complain about prices between Canada and America. Australia's the place that gets truly ripped off, all the time. For instance, on Steam, a new game would cost $50-$60US. In Australia, these same games cost between $70-$90US when accessing from an Australian IP and account. Once upon a time, this may have been justified due to the exchange rate, but now, it's practically 1:1. So why do they do this? Because they can; publishers set the price, and they've all seemed to agree to price games higher and closer to retail prices just to drain more money out of us.

So consider yourself lucky in Canada.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Solo-Wing, did you not hear anything in the last 2 years about the price gap between the US and Canada. Just because the exchange rate (lets say as an example. That the Loonie and Greenback are at parity. Both = 1$). The exchange rate is not the hand of god. A 1$ Candy bar in Detroit isn't gona mean that that exact same candy bar is gona be a 1$ in Windsor, Ontario. Many other factors play into the equation.

This CBC article gives abit of insight to what I'm saying. But I agree that some thing should be (if continuing to use our parity example) the same price. So we have NAFTA so most everything is duty free trade wise. So that helps, but were still paying more.

Now the kicker.

So why is it cheaper to buy a car in the States than in Canada, even if that car was manufactured in Canada. ( I must note that this was back when the Loonie was much higher than the US dollar) This is what really bungled my mind back than. I've yet as to find a reason for this other than capitalist market being capitalist market. The US economy is much bigger than Canada so they can sell 10 cars to our 4 lets say, which allows them so sell them cheaper. Again this isn't always the case, but I say again Capitalist market.

I'm no economists or business man. This is what I can figure out for myself, and I may be wrong on some accounts. So any professional or someone from that background, so correct me so I can learn.

Heres that article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/11/02/pol-carney-us-price-differences.html

Now I should also say this doesn't or shouldn't effect digital sales by market. Taxes and other things may apply to digital content. But this is in a perfect world, where evil corporations and such don't have a gouging spoon hidden just up their arm (Ahh good ol' greed eh). We only pay x for y because were willing to pay x for y. If we could get a global play of hand not buying x we could force the y price down, but because people want their bread, and are willing to keep going with the set price of y, we will see everything new costing the same.

MetalDooley said:
It's not just Canadians that are being ripped off.The prices for Games on Demand vary massively between Britain and Ireland

For example Black Ops is 44.99GBP on the British Xbox website.44.99GBP is roughly 55Euro under current exchange rates.Yet to buy Black Ops on the Irish site will set you back 69.99Euro
Good example for price gouging, unless Ireland has some giant tax on games or digital content (which I doubt).

Now it's about 3:30 am where I am. I'm very tired, this is getting confusing, and my laptops charge is running low. I'll have to end this here. Good night.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Try living in New Zealand, everything game related is more expensive over here, e.g a game comes out in the US for $60, if that was turned into NZ dollars it would be about 80 dollars, and yet games here are sold for $100+

Yep, us in the NZ and Aussie got it bad

EDIT: Heres some actual figures

1 USD = 1.25976 NZD
So one $60 game (USD) would be $75.50 in New Zealand dollars. Yet games here are released in the $100 NZD region. Thats over $79 USD for a new game, and If you want a game like the new Call of Duty which is about 130-150 NZD, you would be paying anywhere between 103.194 USD to 119.070 USD for it.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Tiger Sora said:
Good example for price gouging, unless Ireland has some giant tax on games or digital content (which I doubt).
Nah just price gouging like you said.When Black Ops launched here it was retailing in most stores for around ?50-?55(I got it for ?47,?55 was the most expensive I saw it retailing at)so the price of ?70 for the digital version really is just greed(or dickishness)on Microsofts part