XBLA Social Norms

PattyG

May 15, 2011
So I'm still relatively new to the whole online play thing (still prefer in-person multiplayer). I know what the official rules are in terms of not being offensive in your communication and this and that. But what are the social norms? Should I prefer everyone that isn't a cheater? If I win do I owe the other person a "Good game."? Also, I've received a few feedbacks as "unsporting," which I didn't think was possible in a closed-system card-game like Magic The Gathering.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I never use that.

But if you've gotten "unsporting", unless you were a dick towards the people, my guess is that they were just pissed that you were better than them :p

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Well, some people are sore losers. I see it all the time when I play Super Street Fighter IV.

Just be friendly to others, and others usually will be friendly towards you as well. If they're not, then just avoid them via the feedback system.

"Don't be a dick" is a fair rule here, as anywhere, I think.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Ok, Rule No. 1 on Xbox live, EVERYONE is an asshole, even if they think they are not. The very few nice people out there are of course to be played nice against, but these are less common than juggling flying cats so don't get your hopes up.

As for the "unsporting" feedback, remember that it is a form of internet
communication --> trolls and really isn't something you should worry about.

Here's what I do, just go and speak about the game, try to communicate, if then some hyperactive twelve year old starts yelling at me I usually block communications or, if I'm in the mood, start a useless yelling argument which makes my lifespan decrease.

Always remember that Gaming is for your enjoyment and nothing else :D (unless you have ulterior motives but D'oh well)

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Very few people use the feedback system as far as I'm aware, most often it's used to make other people seem bad because A) you're better than them or B) You destroyed them in an argument
If you're American, try to avoid English people and vice versa, arguments always crop up between those two.
The mute button will be your best friend, when you gather enough 'other nice people' [they're out there!] then just go into parties together and communicate from there. Most people are in parties anyway though.

Anyways closing up, just be civil and [if you're anything like me] give as good as you get.
Also calling small children Justin Bieber is very satisfying.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
People don't like "cheap" tactics, though the definition of that term is pretty fluid. I've played online with my 360 for only a few hours total (hence my 3 and a half star rating), mostly with Street Fighter IV. I did manage to get an unsporting feedback. I know why, though. I'm terribad at fighting games and often when I try to perform a move, I'll accidentally jump around and spam attacks. I have that problem when I play as Super Skrull on Marvel vs capcom 3 too (for the PS3). So many accidental tenderizers...

People don't like that sort of thing. Though they always beat me anyway.

For the mic stuff, I really don't know. I sold my mic the day I got my 360, as I know I'd never use it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Start match - mute all, then you can play halfway normally, and never ever read mail sent by users.

But if you really want to dive into the foul excrement that is XBL community make a list of all known racial, cultural, or any other offensive slurs there are, that will be your bread and butter.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I say we go into XBL like the Brotherhood of Steel went through The Pitt. At dawn, we come over the ridge, and then we work our way straight through, taking with us all that can be salvaged, and cleansing everything in our wake.

Really, though, we just need a more effective way to report people, and real mods, not just what the community says. See, PS3 users have less of an issue, since mics are more expensive, and don't come free with a console.

I don't have Gold anymore, anyway, so I'm safe for the most part.

razelas

Oct 27, 2010
PattyG said:
But what are the social norms? Should I prefer everyone that isn't a cheater? If I win do I owe the other person a "Good game."?
There are no social obligations on XBL, unless you're playing with friends. Everything is on a case-by-case basis. Personally, I only use the feedback system to avoid people nowadays.

PattyG said:
Also, I've received a few feedbacks as "unsporting," which I didn't think was possible in a closed-system card-game like Magic The Gathering.
Meh. You can't please everyone. I was rather good at playing Halo a few years ago, and over half of the people I played with left me negative feedback, with 60%~70% citing "unsporting."