Xbox 360 is Japan's Favorite

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Xbox 360 is Japan's Favorite

Well, favorite for consumer satisfaction at least. A recent survey has revealed that Microsoft's console is ahead of the pack in the eyes of the public.

E74, RROD and destroyed disks. Given the catalogue of hardware faults the Xbox 360 seems to have in the west, it may come as a surprise that in Japan, Microsoft topped a recent survey of consumer satisfaction.

The survey was performed by publisher ASCII Media Works and asked both owners and potential buyers to rate consoles based on six categories: value for money, variety of interesting software, quality of visuals, external design, size/weight of console, and number of acquaintances who also owned the console.

The 360 took a massive hit in the 'size/weight' and 'acquaintances' categories, but still managed to come out with 78.3/100, soundly beating rivals Sony and Nintendo, who both scored 70.6/100 for the PS3 and Wii respectively. Handhelds took the middle ground in the poll, with the DS scoring 72/100 and the PSP scoring 73.3/100.

These results are impressive considering Japan has traditionally been seen as Sony and Nintendo territory and Microsoft's sales in Japan are regularly beaten by their rivals. This might mean a shift in fortunes for Microsoft in Japan, or it might just represent a dedicated group of fans.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173817]

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
The Japanese have been known to be able to fix the RROD with their telekinetic powers, so I'm not surprised the 360 gives them little trouble.

mikemart

Apr 16, 2009
OMG
soon anime will be dead and ALL videogames will be FPS

ALL HAIL THE SOON TO BE OUR ROBOT OVER LORDS..

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Japan likes the xbox, cats are chasing dogs up trees, It looks like the end of the world is nigh.

EDIT: It appears someone beat me to this, but I'm keeping it anyway.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Wait, it's a score based on averaging those six values? That doesn't look like customer satisfaction to me, just random stats (they'd have to ask the people how much they actually care about the values, I mean, how important are things like the external design or the number of other people who have one when compared to the game library?).

NC3

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah, it really shouldn't come as a surprise with all the rpg's being made for it.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Is it really that suprising? The 360's success has come mostly from it's sheer universal appeal, it is suitable for the largest crowd of gamers while the PS3 is aimed at a more hardcore population (due to it's cost and smaller catalogue of games) while the Wii has more of a family/child direction to it (it's good but it may be looked down upon due to it's casual appeal).

It's a matter of function and purpose.

Spyalt

Apr 11, 2009
Well seeing as only one person in all of Japan owns a 360 I don't really think this matters.

Spyalt

Apr 11, 2009
Iron Mal said:
Is it really that suprising? The 360's success has come mostly from it's sheer universal appeal, it is suitable for the largest crowd of gamers while the PS3 is aimed at a more hardcore population (due to it's cost and smaller catalogue of games) while the Wii has more of a family/child direction to it (it's good but it may be looked down upon due to it's casual appeal).

Wait did I read that right?*reads it again* Yes I didand my response is pah. The 360 appeals to jocks its the wii with the universal appeal my friend.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Alert the press!

Whats nilcypher's phone number!!

What a genius decoy to finally get nil's phone number

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Spyalt said:
Iron Mal said:

Wait did I read that right?*reads it again* Yes I didand my response is pah. The 360 appeals to jocks its the wii with the universal appeal my friend.
Ok, let's get over ourselves and lay off on the Xbox bashing (it's not that bad so get off your highhorse).

The 360 has the widest variety of games and most of us know someone who owns one so I believe it has a greater level of public appeal (not just jocks, although it would include them I guess) while the Wii's line up of games is mostly centred around quizzes and sports/fittness games with the occasional rail shooter (very fun with friends but that's about it) which results in it having a more casual or party appeal.