Xbox 360 is Japan's Favorite

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I think I'll go out into town (Yokosuka) and see if I can find any stores with the 360's sitting out.

When I was in Singapore, they had a ton of PS3 games, but it was rare to find them for the 360 because no one liked it there.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
That's great,
It starts with an earthquake,
bird and snakes,
an aeroplane...

Lenny Bruce is not afraid.

kir4

May 1, 2008
Spyalt said:
Well seeing as only one person in all of Japan owns a 360 I don't really think this matters.
I think like 1300 people own one. that's not very many. And I call bullshit on this. Sony has been dominating there, they have total PAL format control.

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
Spyalt said:
Iron Mal said:
Is it really that suprising? The 360's success has come mostly from it's sheer universal appeal, it is suitable for the largest crowd of gamers while the PS3 is aimed at a more hardcore population (due to it's cost and smaller catalogue of games) while the Wii has more of a family/child direction to it (it's good but it may be looked down upon due to it's casual appeal).

It's a matter of function and purpose.
Wait did I read that right?*reads it again* Yes I didand my response is pah. The 360 appeals to jocks its the wii with the universal appeal my friend.
I think you mean "appeal to nerds that think playing football makes them jocks".

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Considering the fact that only 5 people in Japan actually own a Xbox 360 I doubt the size of the test group used for this survey is statistically relevant.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
I wouldn't have thought that, but I suppose you can only go by the evidence put in front of you, it's a curious concept though.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I just wish with all that satisfaction 360 owners have everywhere I could find any games for it. Anything interesting tends to cost either way more than it's interesting, be undercut by about 20€ by the PC or simply not get released here (or got released so long ago it's no longer available).

kir4 said:
Spyalt said:
Well seeing as only one person in all of Japan owns a 360 I don't really think this matters.
I think like 1300 people own one. that's not very many. And I call bullshit on this. Sony has been dominating there, they have total PAL format control.
Wait, what? Japan uses NTSC, PAL is Europe and Australia. The 360 has about 1 million units sold in Japan (1300 may be the weekly sales), the PS3 3 and the Wii 7 or so. VGchartz claims the "Other" (effectively PAL) region has 11M 360s, 10M PS3s and 17M Wiis. While VGchartz is not terribly accurate the Japanese numbers are tracked very visibly so they can adjust to them easily and I doubt the Others region is THAT far off (for Sony to hold over 50% of that area they'd have to have sold ~20M more units/the competition that much less and below 50% it's hard to talk about total control).

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Aardvark Soup said:
Considering the fact that only 5 people in Japan actually own a Xbox 360 I doubt the size of the test group used for this survey is statistically relevant.
Oh! Is it me and the people on my friends list? :p

olicon

May 8, 2008
I think the 360 over there is what a PS3 was over here. It's a console for the minority--only the most hardcore of hardcore will attempt to buy it. Anyone who does so has already contemplated very well the consequence of buying it, and the value they will derive from it. Thus they are very satisfied with their purchase.